Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Opinions on Muzzle Loading Rifle Build Kits

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • iareConfusE
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 4464

    Opinions on Muzzle Loading Rifle Build Kits

    Interested in fitting/assembling one of these kits: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifle...rifle-kit.html

    They all seem to have pretty good reviews, has anyone from here had a chance to assemble and fire one of these yet? Any opinions or recommendations for/against the kit? What size ball seems to fit these barrels best?

    What would be the easiest finish to apply to the barrel since it's sold in the white? I doubt I'd be shooting it much, it might just be a wall piece for a long time and I'd take it out every now and then given the opportunity.
  • #2
    highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5332

    Typically the metal is browned on muzzle loaders.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.

    Comment

    • #3
      Springfield45
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 2426

      I have done a few ML kits. I did an older CVA Kentucky rifle kit in 45 cal. just like that one. IN the 1970's they were imported from Spain under the name Junkar. In the 1980's they changed names to CVA, Connecticut Valley Arms. In the 1990's Traditions bought out CVA.

      They are not very hard to do.

      All the inletting is dune for you. You just need to do a light sanding. The outer dimensions need to be filed and sanded down. Don't sand the edges off. Most amateurs do that and they look rounded off when done.

      Pick a wood stain color you like and then finish it with linseed oil.

      Soak the ram rod in linseed oil inside of a pipe for a month. It will be almost as flexible as a fiberglass rod.

      The barrel can be cold blued easily. But original rifles would have been browned. You can get the browning acid from Brownell's. It is not hard to do or expensive. Mostly you need to be patient. It takes about a week. You apply the acid to the outside of the barrel and it causes it to rust. Once you get a uniform brown color you clean the barrel and oil it.

      The brass will be rough cast. You will need to sand it until smooth and light sand it until it turns shinny.

      50 caliber ML's will use a .490 or .495 round ball. You will want a .10 or .15 lubed patch. The Lude should be a black power solvent that is the same consistency as milk.

      Take your time and the kit can be a work of art and very rewarding. If you get inpatient the kit will turn out ugly.

      Comment

      • #4
        swift
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 874

        my kit needed a lot of fitting and took me a LONG time to finish. It seemed to me that each piece was out of spec and needed adjustment or extensive fitting. I would buy a complete bp firearm before buying a kit.

        The kit was pretty old when I got it and it may not be representative of the current offerings.
        Last edited by swift; 02-24-2018, 8:41 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          iareConfusE
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2010
          • 4464

          Originally posted by Springfield45
          I have done a few ML kits. I did an older CVA Kentucky rifle kit in 45 cal. just like that one. IN the 1970's they were imported from Spain under the name Junkar. In the 1980's they changed names to CVA, Connecticut Valley Arms. In the 1990's Traditions bought out CVA.

          They are not very hard to do.

          All the inletting is dune for you. You just need to do a light sanding. The outer dimensions need to be filed and sanded down. Don't sand the edges off. Most amateurs do that and they look rounded off when done.

          Pick a wood stain color you like and then finish it with linseed oil.

          Soak the ram rod in linseed oil inside of a pipe for a month. It will be almost as flexible as a fiberglass rod.

          The barrel can be cold blued easily. But original rifles would have been browned. You can get the browning acid from Brownell's. It is not hard to do or expensive. Mostly you need to be patient. It takes about a week. You apply the acid to the outside of the barrel and it causes it to rust. Once you get a uniform brown color you clean the barrel and oil it.

          The brass will be rough cast. You will need to sand it until smooth and light sand it until it turns shinny.

          50 caliber ML's will use a .490 or .495 round ball. You will want a .10 or .15 lubed patch. The Lude should be a black power solvent that is the same consistency as milk.

          Take your time and the kit can be a work of art and very rewarding. If you get inpatient the kit will turn out ugly.
          Thanks for the info, I intend for this to be a long term project.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tom-ADC
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 3614

            I built a 1863 Remington Zouve kit many years ago, kit was by Zoli fair amount of fitting but it turned out great and was a good shooter with a 505 gr mini ball.
            That said lots of fun go for it!
            Last edited by Tom-ADC; 02-25-2018, 1:21 PM.
            US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

            Comment

            • #7
              iareConfusE
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 4464

              Also i have a lot of pure Tung oil which I will use instead of linseed oil for the stock/ram rod. Is there anything that I can coat over the tung oil to give it a bit of a gloss, or should I just leave it bare?

              Comment

              • #8
                Bainter1212
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2013
                • 5936

                I would spend the money on a quality kit that you could pass on to your descendants.

                Like these:



                I am saving up for one of his Colonial kits myself.

                Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  iareConfusE
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 4464

                  Originally posted by Bainter1212
                  I would spend the money on a quality kit that you could pass on to your descendants.

                  Like these:



                  I am saving up for one of his Colonial kits myself.

                  Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                  Very nice, but unaffordable for me.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Tom-ADC
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 3614

                    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bainter1212
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 5936

                      Originally posted by iareConfusE
                      Very nice, but unaffordable for me.
                      Yeah I can see that. On the flip side, that is pretty close to what you would pay for a flintlock from Pedersoli, but of much better quality.

                      I would also suggest you make your project a flintlock and not a caplock. Not only are flintlocks more fun and interesting, the resale value is much higher.

                      Either way...good luck.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bainter1212
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 5936

                        There is a guy on ebay who makes custom brass rods, threaded on both ends. It comes with a jag of your caliber choice. He also makes t-handles to fit.

                        That is what I use at the range so I don't screw up my stock ramrods.

                        Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Alan Block
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 3124

                          2 piece stock - not great. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a pretty good replica of a Hawken rifle. TotW has a lot of great kits but much more money. My view is that if you are going to put that much time and effort into something, use the best quality stuff you can.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            iareConfusE
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 4464

                            Good idea, I'll look into that.

                            My wife will probably get me this kit for father's day so it won't be for a while but these are good responses.

                            I can't afford a top of the line, and it wouldn't make a difference in the way I felt about it since any project I do I usually devote a good amount of time and effort to make it as nice as possible. The two piece doesn't bother me at all, especially at a fraction of the cost. Most of my funds are going towards the baby now.

                            Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1