Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

NOS yugo Mauser barrel sources?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gryffinwings
    Member
    • Feb 2016
    • 377

    NOS yugo Mauser barrel sources?

  • #2
    kcheung2
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 4387

    I've noticed a trend...if you are trying to pimp out your m24/47 with scopes, bipods, new barrels, I suggest you take all that money & effort & just buy a new bolt gun in a more common caliber & already set up for optics. And then enjoy that Yugo for what it is, not try to make it something it's not.
    ---------------------
    "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

    Comment

    • #3
      81turbota
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Oct 2014
      • 2956

      Agreed with above. The M24/47 is a military rifle designed with military accuracy standards. They're great shooters but they aren't tack drivers. I'm sure a few people have some "freak" rifles that shoot like a target rifle but that isnt what they were designed to do.

      Also, are you familiar with the level of work and the tools required to rebarrel a Mauser? Headspace gauges, an action wrench, soldering of the sight bases, chamber reamers....you could buy another 24/47 and have money to spare after rebarreling one. Also...a NOS Yugo barrel is after all a Yugo military barrel not a target one.

      The M24/47 doesn't share the level of support the 98 style Mausers do. It's an odd Yugo only intermediate length action. I had a 24/47 and found it to be a fine rifle but for the money you're looking to invest you can get a much better rifle. If you want to stay military look at the Swedish or Swiss guns, and for under $500 you could find a Savage, Ruger or Remington bolt action that will shoot better than the 24/47.

      Enjoy it for what it is, a military rifle. Buy a purpose built target rifle for other needs.
      Last edited by 81turbota; 10-13-2017, 12:57 PM.
      C&R nut.

      Comment

      • #4
        gryffinwings
        Member
        • Feb 2016
        • 377

        I'm looking for multiple sources of getting a replacement barrel for my M24/47 for the purpose of having a decent spare, I'd like to keep this rifle going for a good long time. I have an idea of the work required, which doesn't bother me, however, I would probably look for someone to do it for me. I'm not looking for a stupid accurate rifle out of this gun, I just would prefer to try and make it a little easier to shoot at the range.

        If I were to buy another rifle in an easier to find round, I'd be spending over a grand for something like a Bergara, which I might consider as a future purchase. For now, I'd like to enjoy my Mauser.

        I also plan on purchasing ammo loading equipment so I can should non-corrosive ammo at a decent price per bullet.

        Also I am very aware of the other milsurp rifles, I'll likely consider one of those, but for now, I want to work with what I have.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1