Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A Couple New Mausers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bobby Ricigliano
    Mit Gott und Mauser
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2011
    • 17439

    A Couple New Mausers

    In the name of fiscal sanity I have backed off from buying random C&R guns that pop up for sale here or there. Wrote up a master list of things I want to "complete the collection" and sticking to it.

    Two items moved from the "want" column to the "got" column, and I am submitting them here for the viewing enjoyment of the C&R enthusiasts. Comments (even negative ones) always welcome!

    #1 Gewehr 98.

    Complete mismatch but nicely unaltered and unbubba'd condition. Great bore and no import marks. First long gun I have purchased from Dennis Kroh and I am very happy with it. The crest is weakly stamped on the right side, does not appear to be worn or scrubbed.




    #2 VZ-24
    I have had a scrubbed VZ24 for years that is a great shooter, but was looking for a nice "collector" grade specimen. These rifles are plentiful and not especially valuable, but the workmanship is stellar. This caught my eye on another board and I jumped on it shortly after it was posted. Excellent overall condition. The bore had a touch of frost and darkness but I gave it a good cleaning and would call it at VG++ There is a hint of an old serial number on the stock, so I am sure it has been refurbed at some point The bolt handle is stamped matching. Most I see are usually EP'd.






  • #2
    capt14k
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2015
    • 1301

    Very nice. Nice strong crest on the vz-24. What is that marking where the E Lion Year usually is? I'm looking for an original all matching Rampant Lion Czech issue not Romanian or SCW. I'm not sure they even exist.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      Bainter1212
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2013
      • 5936

      Really great specimens Bobby. Looks like you are well into the "quality" phase of collecting.

      I missed out on a really nice Israeli Mauser on Gunboards last night. Didn't check the Trader during my wife's violin recital, like a good husband.

      I am glad somebody scored.

      Comment

      • #4
        Freedom_shooter
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2015
        • 901

        Very nice, I been also looking for a Gew 98 as well. Dennis has had some nice stuff pop up lately.

        Comment

        • #5
          Enfield47
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2012
          • 6385

          Very nice looking acquisitions Bobby. The crest on the VZ24 is nicely struck and shows up very well in the pics.

          Comment

          • #6
            Bobby Ricigliano
            Mit Gott und Mauser
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2011
            • 17439

            Originally posted by Bainter1212
            Really great specimens Bobby. Looks like you are well into the "quality" phase of collecting.

            I missed out on a really nice Israeli Mauser on Gunboards last night. Didn't check the Trader during my wife's violin recital, like a good husband.

            I am glad somebody scored.
            Thank you...

            If you were referring to the one with the GL attachment on the side of the stock, that was a really nice one, and a good price too.

            Comment

            • #7
              Rogerbutthead
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • 3861

              Nice rifles. I know nothing of VZ24s - is the gold disc unit marked on the stock?

              Comment

              • #8
                Mustang
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 5075

                Nice finds.

                I've always liked the "Czech Lion Crest"
                ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                Comment

                • #9
                  MasterChief
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 639

                  Sorry if you already mentioned this regarding the GEW98: Is that a Turk crescent moon on the receiver above the crest? 1918 receiver date, no? Beech stock and handguard? Very desirable rifle if you ask me and sometimes undervalued in my opinion. Nice score.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobby Ricigliano
                    Mit Gott und Mauser
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 17439

                    Yes Master Chief, good observation. The rifle wasn't listed as being "Turked" and it would be easy to miss, so I have no regret on the buy. But there is a hard to see crescent moon on the receiver as well as a very tiny crescent on the bolt handle. My only "musts" were a good bore and no post war improvements, on which it definitely delivered.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ucladude101
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2015
                      • 741

                      Nice rifles Bobby! I also have been hit with the Mauser bug and might post a few new ones that I acquired! But very nice rifles [emoji106]


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MasterChief
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 639

                        Very nice pick-up. To me the Turkish connection is desirable because it adds so much to the history of the rifle, Turkey's role in WWI and of the WWI period in general.

                        I would love to someday find a Commission rifle with Turk markings and without the 1935 mods (ie: original barrel, barrel cover, sights, bands, stock and small bits).

                        Congratulations. Dave

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bobby Ricigliano
                          Mit Gott und Mauser
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 17439

                          Originally posted by ucladude101
                          Nice rifles Bobby! I also have been hit with the Mauser bug and might post a few new ones that I acquired! But very nice rifles [emoji106]


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Tread lightly with the Mauser bug, for it is a rabbit hole dark and deep. Many a man have resolved to spend their way to the bottom, before realizing to their own calamity that there is no bottom..."

                          B. Ricigliano
                          "Notes from the Poor House"
                          2017

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            louie
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 1028

                            The Gew98 is really nice. It more than likely came out of Turkey. It also has Arabic numbers 2 2 and then 122 on the barrel. The Turks dropped using Arabic numbers and writing in the 20's so this was probably done really early. Navy Arms in the mid nineties brought in tons of Mausers from Turkey. There were Gew98's, and also k98's. plus Kar 98a's both in original stacking rod, and turned into quasi k98's. Navy Arms had the market on Turk stuff for a while until Century got it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              omgwtfbbq
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 3445

                              Really like the Gewehr 98. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it slightly more rare to find them with the Lange Visier rear sights? Something about the majority of them being replaced circa 1903?
                              "Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

                              Originally posted by rmorris7556
                              They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1