Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Polish Mosin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • risingsun212
    Member
    • Oct 2016
    • 305

    Polish Mosin

    Saw an unissued Polish M44 at a local consignment store for $550. Pristine overall condition other than a few very light scratches on metal. Mirror bright bore. Small and faint import mark on receiver. Coated in cosmoline. I know the prices have been going up in recent years, but is $550 a bit steep?

    Risingsun
  • #2
    Jimja
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 2068

    Assuming it's actually in almost perfect, all matching, unissued condition and unfired since importation that's a good price these days, depending on the year

    If you do buy it don't ever shoot it. If you want a shooter get a issued/shot one for half the price

    Comment

    • #3
      risingsun212
      Member
      • Oct 2016
      • 305

      1951. The bore is still coated with cosmoline, so I think it's been unfired since importation.

      Comment

      • #4
        huntingsocal
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 2319

        Yeah that is about the going rate.

        I picked one up last year for $300, un-fired since importation but it had some surface rust issues that I had to clean up (link) so I feel like I got a decent deal on it and I won't feel bad shooting it

        Last edited by huntingsocal; 03-14-2017, 4:34 PM.
        Low Mortgage Rates For Calguners in CA and Idaho:No Cost, No Obligation Mortgage Rate Analysis and SoCal/North Idaho House Hunting Guide Service. Plus, Free State Escape Planning

        Comment

        • #5
          MosinVirus
          Happily Infected
          CGN Contributor
          • Sep 2013
          • 5282

          Originally posted by huntingsocal
          Yeah that is about the going rate.

          I picked one up last year for $300, un-fired since importation but it had some surface rust issues that I had to clean up (link) so I feel like I got a decent deal on it and I won't feel bad shooting it

          That looks excellent.
          Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

          Comment

          • #6
            Capybara
            CGSSA Coordinator
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2012
            • 15653

            I love new Mosins.
            NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              hambam105
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7083

              I too once had a pristine Mosin with light scratches, surface rust plastered with about 4 square inches of importation marks. I doubt it was a 'Russian Sniper Rifle', but you never know.

              Comment

              • #8
                DesertWalker
                Member
                • May 2011
                • 495

                I picked one up last year for $300, un-fired since importation but it had some surface rust issues that I had to clean up (link) so I feel like I got a decent deal on it and I won't feel bad shooting it

                Really nice score for $300.
                Last edited by DesertWalker; 03-19-2017, 1:04 PM. Reason: bold quote

                Comment

                • #9
                  omega
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3114

                  Yes, the price does sound kind of high for a rifle that was much cheaper not very long ago

                  the prices seemed to have doubled? but the Polish M44 does seem a little nicer overall than the other varients

                  $300 - $399 sounds more reasonable

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobby Ricigliano
                    Mit Gott und Mauser
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 17439

                    That price is about going rate. Most of the nicer unissued imports have the small import mark on the bayonet lug at the nose. Mine was in pretty well perfect shape when I got it, but the bore was unexplicably dirty and fouled. The previous owner, in his geniousness, shot it a few times and never bothered to clean it. It worked out because I got it cheap and the bore cleaned up nicely with no permanent issues.


                    IIRC, one sold on Gunbroker recently for around $800

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mosinnagantm9130
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2009
                      • 8783

                      Originally posted by omega
                      the Polish M44 does seem a little nicer overall than the other varients
                      Polish and post-war Soviet M44s can both be found in very, very nice shape. Those are probably tops for me personally in terms of fit and finish.

                      I don't think I've seen a near-new Hungarian or Romanian M44, they may be comparable as well but I can't confirm.

                      Mint T53s are also very nice, but are hens teeth...
                      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                      Originally posted by ChopperX
                      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                      Originally posted by Jeff L
                      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        huntingsocal
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 2319

                        Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                        That price is about going rate. Most of the nicer unissued imports have the small import mark on the bayonet lug at the nose. Mine was in pretty well perfect shape when I got it, but the bore was unexplicably dirty and fouled. The previous owner, in his geniousness, shot it a few times and never bothered to clean it. It worked out because I got it cheap and the bore cleaned up nicely with no permanent issues.


                        IIRC, one sold on Gunbroker recently for around $800
                        Yep, that is where mine has it
                        Low Mortgage Rates For Calguners in CA and Idaho:No Cost, No Obligation Mortgage Rate Analysis and SoCal/North Idaho House Hunting Guide Service. Plus, Free State Escape Planning

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bobby Ricigliano
                          Mit Gott und Mauser
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 17439

                          I was advised by a knowledgeable collector that the Intrac Poles were the cream of the crop.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            I Swan
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 8770

                            Originally posted by mosinnagantm9130
                            Polish and post-war Soviet M44s can both be found in very, very nice shape. Those are probably tops for me personally in terms of fit and finish.

                            I don't think I've seen a near-new Hungarian or Romanian M44, they may be comparable as well but I can't confirm.

                            Mint T53s are also very nice, but are hens teeth...
                            I have a non import marked Hungarian M44 in comparable condition. I plan on selling it sometime this year.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ucladude101
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2015
                              • 741

                              Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                              That price is about going rate. Most of the nicer unissued imports have the small import mark on the bayonet lug at the nose. Mine was in pretty well perfect shape when I got it, but the bore was unexplicably dirty and fouled. The previous owner, in his geniousness, shot it a few times and never bothered to clean it. It worked out because I got it cheap and the bore cleaned up nicely with no permanent issues.


                              IIRC, one sold on Gunbroker recently for around $800
                              hey Bobby the bore was fouled because somebody shot corrosive ammo and did not clean it? Or did someone shoot non corrosive ammo and it was just dirty?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1