Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bought another M1 Garand

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FCOD
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2008
    • 3961

    Bought another M1 Garand

    I've been recollecting a number a rifles that I previously owned, but for one reason or another have since sold including lever guns and an M1 Garand. I finally have started rebuilding that collection and managed to get my hands on a Springfield M1 Garand. The serial number is 68,xxx which based on my research puts it at a mid 1940 manufacture date. The finish on the metal I would put at 90-95%, and the stock I would put between 80-90%.

    My question for y'all is this. Should I strip the whole stock down, steam out some of the dents and re-oil it, or should I appreciate it for what it is and leave it? The bore is in great shape and the crown seemed clean.

    Also, where seems to be the place to get ammo for it these days? I know the Greek stuff has been drying out, but what about the Prvi Partizan .30-06. Is it pretty similar to the older M2?
  • #2
    81turbota
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Oct 2014
    • 2956

    Congrats on the early M1.

    It's yours, do as you wish but I would leave it alone personally.

    I installed the Garand gear ported gas plug on my shooter, it loves the 168gr SP PPU ammo. It runs smoother than Greek M2.

    I have 1k rounds of the PPU "Garand safe" ammo that I need to try out. I'll reserve comments until I do.
    C&R nut.

    Comment

    • #3
      M1NM
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2011
      • 7966

      Watch Antiques Roadshow don't remove the patina. Every ding has a story. I had 7 M1s and never messed with any of them. All I would do with yours is over a period of time find date correct Springfield parts.

      Comment

      • #4
        peppermintman
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 1943

        How about some pictures?
        Personally I'd leave the wood alone

        Comment

        • #5
          Garandimal
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 2145

          Pics, or it didn't happen.

          And SGAmmo has a very good price on the PPU M2 cans. Put a dinger on it to notify you when it is back in stock.




          GR


          (I think, therefore I am armed.)


          -- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

          Comment

          • #6
            rdfact
            CGN Contributor
            • Nov 2012
            • 2680

            Some will say "it's your rifle so do as you wish" but if the stock is USGI most will suggest leaving it as is.
            One of my mine has a Boyds birch stock made in 2011 that I want to strip and refinish or replace with a USGI stock.

            Comment

            • #7
              musketjon
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 1746

              OK, so crucify me now but every milsurp I have ever owned has been stripped to bare wood using MEK and 4-0 steel wool and then BLO'ed, no stain needed-ever. I can add my own dirt, sweat and grit over time. I'm just sayin'.......................
              Just be careful. They'll multiply if left unchecked in your gun safe. Ask me how I know this.
              Jon
              Last edited by musketjon; 02-18-2017, 4:04 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                FCOD
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Oct 2008
                • 3961

                Thanks for all the great info. I ordered up the Garand Gear gas plug the other day. I ran all sorts of ammo through my last one with the ported gas plug. I also ordered 200 rounds of the PP 150 grain .30-06 which to my understanding is loaded like the M2 for the Garand.

                Comment

                • #9
                  DVSride
                  Member
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 442

                  Originally posted by FCOD
                  Thanks for all the great info. I ordered up the Garand Gear gas plug the other day. I ran all sorts of ammo through my last one with the ported gas plug. I also ordered 200 rounds of the PP 150 grain .30-06 which to my understanding is loaded like the M2 for the Garand.
                  Hey FCOD,
                  Just wondering where you ordered your ammo at? Looking for some at a good price but sold out at my normal spots. Thanks!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FCOD
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 3961

                    Bulk ammo had it for about $16 a box and it looks like it's loaded to M2 specs.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      DVSride
                      Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 442

                      Originally posted by FCOD
                      Bulk ammo had it for about $16 a box and it looks like it's loaded to M2 specs.
                      Awesome... thanks for the info. I'll check them out

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Enfield47
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 6385

                        I would leave the stock alone if it's USGI. If it's an aftermarket stock, have at it. If the stock is USGI, buy a new production stock set and finish it to your liking and put it on the gun and set the original aside.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Orlando
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 1827

                          If it were original cartouched stock for the year I would niot touch it but since its a repalcement stock on a rebuilt rilfe if you feel like steaming out the dets go ahead. It wont hurt anything

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FCOD
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 3961

                            Originally posted by Orlando
                            If it were original cartouched stock for the year I would niot touch it but since its a repalcement stock on a rebuilt rilfe if you feel like steaming out the dets go ahead. It wont hurt anything
                            Im not sure if it's original or replacement. Guess I'll find out when I pick it up.

                            If I do get a replacement stock, will I have to inlet it?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Orlando
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 1827

                              replacement USGI ,no. Replacement commercial , probably

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1