Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tracking down a stolen P38

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hollowpoint67
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1452

    Tracking down a stolen P38

    Long story short, I had a Russian Capture P38 (AC42) along with a bolt to a RC K98 I had there stolen from UGI imports over in Fremont (thread about it in commercial sales).

    As with most of these situations I'm guessing im out of luck unless the guys a real moron and decides to pawn it in the state of CA or tries to knock over a local liquor store with a 70 year old handgun and it's recovered by our boys in blue.

    Anyone have any stories of C&R recoveries? I've heard of these thugs taking them to NV/AZ with looser cash and carry laws and just offloading them there.
  • #2
    71MUSTY
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2014
    • 7029

    I doubt it was stolen to sell for profit and even if it were driving to Nevada would waste all the profits.

    So most likely traded for drugs.

    Some dirt bag probably has in under the seat of his Pontiac or stuffed into the waste band of his sweats.

    Odds of recovery are probably pretty good. Odds of it being in good condition when recovered not so much.
    Only slaves don't need guns

    Originally posted by epilepticninja
    Americans vs. Democrats
    We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


    We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


    What doesn't kill me, better run

    Comment

    • #3
      zinfull
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2006
      • 2733

      When you reported it stolen did you give a complete serial reference number,ie, Walther P38, AC 42, xxxxa. I bought a P38 and because the 4 number serial matched a stolen gun it took 10 months to get it out of jail.

      Comment

      • #4
        hollowpoint67
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1452

        I have not reported it stolen, UGI has as it was in their possession for DROs so i'm sure it will be complicated considering insurance is involved as well.

        Not sure if its worth posting about it on other forums. Do other states run serials etc like CA?

        Comment

        • #5
          panzer
          Member
          • Jan 2010
          • 425

          sorry for your loss, I hope the person that stole your guns catches cancer and aids and dies a slow death. hope your able to recover your gun.

          god bless.

          Comment

          • #6
            Gowking
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 2664

            How did someone manage to steal it from the dealer? Smash and grab?

            Comment

            • #7
              pacrat
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2014
              • 10285

              FFLs who have firearms lost or stolen from their inventory have 48 hrs to report the loss or theft to BATFE. Those lost/stolen firearms get entered into the ATF database.

              You can bet that UGImports did exactly that at earliest.

              Most states also have similar databases. When LE come into possession of firearms it is common practice to check the firearm against both state and Fed database.

              If recovered [slight chance] you still have to jump through the [LEGR] Law Enforcement Gun Ransom hoops to get it returned to you.


              Good Luck

              Comment

              • #8
                pacrat
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2014
                • 10285

                Originally posted by MadRiverArms
                How did someone manage to steal it from the dealer? Smash and grab?
                Armed Robbery, luckily no one at the shop was harmed.
                Last edited by pacrat; 12-03-2016, 6:00 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bart1015
                  Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • 216

                  I would report it asap and tell the authorities that the UGI had it in their possession at the time of the theft. They will most likely tell you to call the Police in the jurisdiction where the gun was stolen. Follow up and make the report with the correct jurisdiction.

                  As a recently retired Ca. Police Detective, I know from personal experience most guns are found soon after the theft. The guns are usually found as a result of a surprise Parole/Probation search, gang sweep or homeless camp clean up.

                  If the gun comes back as "no record on file" (As most C&R stuff does), the Police "might" keep it for safekeeping until the owner (person who it was found on or around) can prove they are the owner.

                  Where I worked, there was a 180 day window to prove ownership. Once 180 days has passed, the gun went out for immediately for destruction.

                  My department always obtained an order from a Judge to destroy the guns in order to avoid any liability from destroying someone's valuable property.

                  Make the report, if UGI takes to long to report the theft of your gun, and if is is located, it will be destroyed! I would not care about UGI's insurance issues. You own the gun, you are ultimately the person who the gun was stolen from.

                  Please note, If the gun is located prior to being reported stolen, and there is no crime, and the person who had possession of the "no record on file" gun is not prohibited from possessing the gun, it will be left with that person.

                  If later, that gun gets entered in the system as stolen (AFS), they will not have a record of it as ever being run in the system prior to the entrance of the stolen gun in the system (AFS).
                  Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.


                  http://ToThePointPolygraph.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1