Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fed C&R, now what?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cyberfish2
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2015
    • 95

    Fed C&R, now what?

    My FFL 03 C&R license has arrived. I don't intend to collect long guns, just hand guns. Soo, being a Calif resident, can I actually buy any C&R hand guns, either in state, or out of state, using just this permit?
    Getting the Calif COE will, if I read correctly, cost about an additional $100, and is only good for one year, with a (?)lesser renewal fee. I will only get this if it is necessary to have to use the Fed permit.
    I am pretty much of a curio and relic myself, so there aren't too many hand guns I'd like to add to my small collection, and I'm lucky if I get to one out of state gun show a year.
    Thanks for the help, and advice..
    NRA, CRPA.
    "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
  • #2
    Enfield47
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2012
    • 6385

    Without the COE your 03 license is almost useless in CA. You need the COE to be able to register the pistol or else you have to go thru an 01 FFL and DROS it.

    Comment

    • #3
      cyberfish2
      Junior Member
      • Jan 2015
      • 95

      'Nuther question?

      Got the Fed C&R. Going to get the Calif COE.
      Sooo, if I am limited to one (non C&R) handgun a month. can I still buy a C&R gun while I'm waiting for another FFL approved purchase???
      NRA, CRPA.
      "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

      Comment

      • #4
        Egaguila
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2015
        • 81

        Without the COE you are limited to purchasing C&R firearms (rifle OR pistol) out of state. You have to physically take possession of the firearm out of state though, i.e. while in Nevada or Arizona. And once you bring it back in state, you must register with the DOJ within 5 days. No COE needed for this unless things have changed in the last year?

        The COE covers everything else, in state purchases, out of state mail order purchases, etc. Pistols purchased in this way however must still be shipped to or transferred by an actual FFL (not 03), while rifles are fine for cash and carry and shipping to your license address.

        Comment

        • #5
          Brother_Hesekiel
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 771

          As a FFL-03 and CoE owner let me tell you, the only good thing you can do with both those things is ordering 2 or 3 Garand M1s from CMP for investment purposes and have them shipped straight to your door. If you are not into long guns, what you have is absolutely worthless in California.

          Comment

          • #6
            Vita Brevis
            Member
            • Jun 2012
            • 193

            I've let my FFL-03 lapse since California instituted long gun registration, so I'm not entirely up on what you still can and can't do with the license. Because of this, take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

            If you make it to one out of state gun show a year, I'd say it's worth it. You can purchase a (c&r) handgun, walk out the door with it, and bring it home with you. It's definitely a nice feeling. Also, something that you may not have thought of yet, but quite a few websites offer discounts on non-firearm products for FFL-03 holders (Brownell's, Midway, Widener's, etc...). I think that in my first year of having my C&R license, it paid for itself through discounts I received ordering reloading components.

            Comment

            • #7
              emcon5
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 3347

              Originally posted by Enfield47
              Without the COE your 03 license is almost useless in CA. You need the COE to be able to register the pistol or else you have to go thru an 01 FFL and DROS it.
              Huh? Any pistol sent in to CA, has to go through an 01 FFL, CA Dealer, and is registered then. If he is out of state (like in NV) and buys any C&R, handgun or pistol, he can submit the registration forms when he returns to CA.

              To the OP, not sure where you are, "N. Calif." is a pretty big place, but there used to be a Reno FFL who was very CA friendly, Timber Outdoors. I know a lot of people (including me before I left CA) used him for C&R pistols. A couple people have said he has been hard to get a hold of, but I am sure there are other small FFLs who would be happy for your transfer business, if you are close enough to Reno to make the trip.

              Unfortunately the Reno Cabela's has a new policy on 03 FFLs, that they need to call and verify them before they will transfer, so if you plan on going there, keep that in mind, and send it to them in advance, they can only call on weekdays.

              Comment

              • #8
                six seven tango
                CGSSA Associate
                • Jan 2012
                • 1725

                Originally posted by cyberfish2
                Got the Fed C&R. Going to get the Calif COE.
                Sooo, if I am limited to one (non C&R) handgun a month. can I still buy a C&R gun while I'm waiting for another FFL approved purchase???
                Yes, as long as you have both the FFL 03 and COE. With both, you are also exempt from the 10 day wait on C&R purchases. You will also be exempt from the upcoming ammo background check B/S.
                sigpic

                When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty


                Comment

                • #9
                  Enfield47
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 6385

                  Originally posted by emcon5
                  Huh? Any pistol sent in to CA, has to go through an 01 FFL, CA Dealer, and is registered then. If he is out of state (like in NV) and buys any C&R, handgun or pistol, he can submit the registration forms when he returns to CA.
                  I was thinking of him going out of the state, buying a C&R pistol and bringing it back. I didn't think you could self register without a COE, I thought it would have to go thru an 01 FFL for registration. Good to know that isn't necessary.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Crocketus
                    Member
                    • Jul 2015
                    • 179

                    I was going to create my own thread but I figured I would piggyback off this one to save some time.

                    I have my FFL03 and COE both set up in my current address I am renting, however my driver license and other documents are still under my old mailing address. Do I need to update my drivers license/third form of ID as well to be used?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      arnie19
                      Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 367

                      Send a copy of your C&R to Graffs and to Brownells .You can get a little discount on some items they sell

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cyberfish2
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2015
                        • 95

                        Originally posted by emcon5
                        To the OP, not sure where you are, "N. Calif." is a pretty big place, but there used to be a Reno FFL who was very CA friendly, Timber Outdoors. I know a lot of people (including me before I left CA) used him for C&R pistols. A couple people have said he has been hard to get a hold of, but I am sure there are other small FFLs who would be happy for your transfer business, if you are close enough to Reno to make the trip.

                        Unfortunately the Reno Cabela's has a new policy on 03 FFLs, that they need to call and verify them before they will transfer, so if you plan on going there, keep that in mind, and send it to them in advance, they can only call on weekdays.
                        Thanks. I'm 86 mi from Reno, and I get to the gun show there occasionally, or Cabalas and Scheels. If I understand, even if I take my C&R lic with me to Cabelas, I still need the COE, so they can verify my eligibility?
                        NRA, CRPA.
                        "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          emcon5
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 3347

                          Originally posted by cyberfish2
                          Thanks. I'm 86 mi from Reno, and I get to the gun show there occasionally, or Cabalas and Scheels. If I understand, even if I take my C&R lic with me to Cabelas, I still need the COE, so they can verify my eligibility?
                          No, it means if you are going to Cabela's, it will probably be a weekend, so if you hope to buy anything, send them your C&R in advance, so they can call ATF License branch it in to confirm. The address on your ID also needs to match your license.

                          You should be able to email it, and bring a paper copy, you can find the gun library email address for that store on the web site.

                          Additionally, you are close enough you can order any C&R you want and have it sent to a 01 FFL in Nevada, then come pick it up in person. You then send in the self registration form and fees within 5 days of bringing it home. You can print them from DOJ here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/curioapp.pdf

                          Steve at Timber Outdoors used to be the go-to guy for C&R FFLs from CA, he would transfer up to 5 guns for $25 IIRC. Last I heard people haven't been able to get a hold of him, so I don't know if that is still the first choice. His FFL still shows valid from ATF, and it is not his primary job, so he may just be really busy.

                          If you are not taking possession of a gun inside CA, either face to face from an individual or shipped by an out of state FFL, then the COE is meaningless outside California.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cyberfish2
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2015
                            • 95

                            Originally posted by emcon5
                            No, it means if you are going to Cabela's, it will probably be a weekend, so if you hope to buy anything, send them your C&R in advance, so they can call ATF License branch it in to confirm. The address on your ID also needs to match your license.

                            You should be able to email it, and bring a paper copy, you can find the gun library email address for that store on the web site.

                            Additionally, you are close enough you can order any C&R you want and have it sent to a 01 FFL in Nevada, then come pick it up in person. You then send in the self registration form and fees within 5 days of bringing it home. You can print them from DOJ here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/curioapp.pdf

                            Steve at Timber Outdoors used to be the go-to guy for C&R FFLs from CA, he would transfer up to 5 guns for $25 IIRC. Last I heard people haven't been able to get a hold of him, so I don't know if that is still the first choice. His FFL still shows valid from ATF, and it is not his primary job, so he may just be really busy.

                            If you are not taking possession of a gun inside CA, either face to face from an individual or shipped by an out of state FFL, then the COE is meaningless outside California.
                            Thanks for clarifying that. I love this forum. I have a lot to learn, and I get good answers here. My son lives near Carson City, so I always have good reason to visit Nevada. At 77, I plan to see Street Vibrations from my Harley, and ride with my son. Maybe I can put my new license to use while I'm there.
                            Maybe I can find one of those Russian TT33's I've had my eye on for a while.
                            NRA, CRPA.
                            "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1