Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1918 BAR Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shiloh
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 140

    1918 BAR Build

    Attached Files
    sigpic

    http://arm4you.com

    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Lifetime Member
  • #2
    Shiloh
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 140

    Attached Files
    sigpic

    http://arm4you.com

    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Lifetime Member

    Comment

    • #3
      IRONWILL
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2005
      • 887

      I have a BAR ive own two neither had a fs , I'm not sure if they were issued with one I know they make or made one for it but I cant remember seeing a pics of one in the field with fs

      Good luck on your build , also I think BMG has parts
      Last edited by IRONWILL; 02-24-2016, 4:16 PM.
      "You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead"

      Comment

      • #4
        Shiloh
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 140

        Now that I had these parts it was time to get the rest of the parts. I poked and checked and researched. I finally decided to get a couple parts from Numerich arms. They are very limited on their stock but at least I could start with a couple more pieces. Now I'm waiting for those in the mail.

        I called BMG parts to check on the rest of the parts to complete the project and I think the gentleman can sniff out a sucker even over the phone. After a brief chat of the parts I needed and the ones he had, we made a deal. I will shortly have the remainder of the parts to complete the BAR along with a FAT credit card bill, and a LOT of explaining to do with the wife.

        I'll be sharing more photos as soon as the parts arrive.
        sigpic

        http://arm4you.com

        Firearms Instructor
        NRA Lifetime Member

        Comment

        • #5
          Shiloh
          Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 140

          Originally posted by IRONWILL
          I have a BAR ive own two neither had a fs , I'm not sure if they were issued with one I know they make or made on for it but I cant remember seeing a pics of one in the field with fs

          Good luck on your build , also I think BMG has parts
          Thanks.

          As far as the flash hider goes, If you want a bi-pod on the gun you'll need this part. As far as in the field goes, you can see a many Marine in the Higgins boats and AmTracks with the rifle fully geared up while landing on the islands in the Pacific, but when you see videos of them fighting inland, all of the extra weight was removed to make the gun as light as possible. There went the bipod, flash hider, front sight cover, and carry handle.
          sigpic

          http://arm4you.com

          Firearms Instructor
          NRA Lifetime Member

          Comment

          • #6
            CAL.BAR
            CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
            • Nov 2007
            • 5632

            I have an OOW BAR and love it. Paid $4k years ago for it. Yes, they are expensive, but I can't see how parting it out is going to save you ANY money. $2,500.00 for the receiver only leaves you with about $1,500.00 for all the other parts. I suspect by the time you find them all, buy them all and have them all shipped to you separately, you will pay the full $4K or more. AND... after that, you will find that the .30-06 for it runs .60 to a buck a round. So if $$ is you issue, the BAR isn't the gun for you anyway.

            Comment

            • #7
              Shiloh
              Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 140

              Originally posted by CAL.BAR
              I have an OOW BAR and love it. Paid $4k years ago for it. Yes, they are expensive, but I can't see how parting it out is going to save you ANY money. $2,500.00 for the receiver only leaves you with about $1,500.00 for all the other parts. I suspect by the time you find them all, buy them all and have them all shipped to you separately, you will pay the full $4K or more. AND... after that, you will find that the .30-06 for it runs .60 to a buck a round. So if $$ is you issue, the BAR isn't the gun for you anyway.
              sigpic

              http://arm4you.com

              Firearms Instructor
              NRA Lifetime Member

              Comment

              • #8
                Jjwisled
                Member
                • Jun 2015
                • 243

                Looks like a great project!! Congratulations, looking forward to seeing pics

                Comment

                • #9
                  GMG
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 7974

                  Congrats on your determination to finish this project.

                  You mentioned Higgins boats in an above post, we that ran them, called them peter boats. Actually LCVP'S for the smaller craft and LCM'S or mike boats for the larger.

                  From todays perspective, an antique way too fight a war.
                  sigpic

                  A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BrokerB
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 5455

                    it is a beautiful looking rifle, kind of like a mustang, corsair,spitfire,p38
                    Beans and Bullets

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Enfield47
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 6385

                      That will be an interesting build. Please post pics as it progresses.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Alan Block
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 3124

                        Do these replicas fire 'open bolt'?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BrokerB
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 5455

                          cant own an open bolt....well maybe.unless maybe NFA
                          Beans and Bullets

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SonofWWIIDI
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 21583

                            I look forward to seeing the pics and reading the range report of the completed project.

                            I'm jealous!

                            Sorry, not sorry.
                            🎺

                            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gibbet
                              Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 241

                              Originally posted by Shiloh
                              Thanks.

                              As far as the flash hider goes, If you want a bi-pod on the gun you'll need this part. As far as in the field goes, you can see a many Marine in the Higgins boats and AmTracks with the rifle fully geared up while landing on the islands in the Pacific, but when you see videos of them fighting inland, all of the extra weight was removed to make the gun as light as possible. There went the bipod, flash hider, front sight cover, and carry handle.
                              I have plans for a 1918a2 flash hider conversion to a muzzle break so you can attach the bipod and keep it looking normal with all the pieces attached. Practical Solutions built the break. Pm me if you want to see it, i hated the look of a cut-off flash hider....good luck.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1