Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AVT-40 - an impossible dream?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zekes
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2015
    • 9

    AVT-40 - an impossible dream?

    Probably getting my hopes up, but I've always wanted to have an automatic version of the STV-40 - the AVT-40 - and while I know it would be illegal to own in california (I plan on moving out of state eventually), If I were to look for one in the future, would anyone know of a good place to look for an origional, or failing that, finding a way to convert a semi-auto to full auto?





    It's a pipe dream coming from a californian, but I want to believe!
  • #2
    flatbedtruckin
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 785

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Steve G
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2005
      • 1931

      Watch a video of these in full auto. Not so good

      Comment

      • #4
        wilit
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2005
        • 5213

        My Google-fu has failed me, as I wasn't able to find a listing or current value for one. Given it's rarity, I'd imagine finding a transferable AVT-40 would probably cost something in the $20k-$25k range.

        As for building one, you'd have to get your 07 FFL and SOT to be able to legally build one.
        "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
        "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
        "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          zekes
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2015
          • 9

          Yeah, I know it's impossible in California. I'm just hoping, if I do move out of state (which I'd actually do if I could find an AVT-40) - could I say, get a gunsmith to do the conversion for me?

          Looking at past auctions (out of all of google, I've found maybe three), they go for 500-750 apiece. If I can find an auction at the right time.

          Comment

          • #6
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            Originally posted by zekes
            Yeah, I know it's impossible in California. I'm just hoping, if I do move out of state (which I'd actually do if I could find an AVT-40) - could I say, get a gunsmith to do the conversion for me?
            No.

            Under Federal laws...
            Any MG made after 05-19-1986 can only be legally owned by a FFL/SOT or Gov/Mil/LE agency.
            Last edited by Quiet; 09-10-2015, 12:44 AM.
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #7
              zekes
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2015
              • 9

              Well that's good to know then... I'll have to find a real one.

              Comment

              • #8
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Originally posted by zekes
                Well that's good to know then... I'll have to find a real one.
                They are extremely rare.
                Depending on condition and accessories, expect to pay between $20,000-$40,000 for one.
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                • #9
                  pterrell
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 3576

                  Good luck OP. I wish I had your kind of funding!
                  Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


                  Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MosinVirus
                    Happily Infected
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 5282

                    Originally posted by Quiet
                    They are extremely rare.
                    Depending on condition and accessories, expect to pay between $20,000-$40,000 for one.
                    If looking for a unicorn and having to pay that kind of money, I would try to find original SVDs instead (yes 2 of them). Last I saw one it was 11K, or maybe 14K... Can't remember.
                    Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      louie
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 1028

                      You could get lucky and find the trigger group. This is what makes the AVT from an SVT. A friend of mine in AZ did, so it's not impossible. It has to be ATF taxed just like anything else, and registered. I have shot it, and yes, not that much fun to be honest. It feels sort of like the full auto m-14, also not that much fun. They must be on a bipod, or you must have a build like the Hulk, or after the first 3 rounds you are shooting birds, and then planes.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        grossekatz
                        Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 350

                        Funny thing about the svt 40. They all have a "safety sear"
                        That keeps the hammer from falling until the bolt is locked. So yes the trigger pack is the only thing keeping it semi.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          81turbota
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 2956

                          Awesome historical piece, little practicality. I won't deter you from your dream!

                          BTW, have you seen this? It's a Soviet report about the AVT-40's performance.

                          While poking around at Soviet Gun Archives (a very cool site which I wish was updated more often), I noticed this two-page memo reporting the results of an experiment modifying SVT-40 rifles to full-auto capability. To put this into context, the original SVT-38 was updated based on combat experience in Finland, and the SVT-40 formally
                          When shooting at targets, only the first bullet hits.
                          3.The ability to aim is limited to 50 shots over the span of one minute. After that, the barrel overheats, and a mirage effect is achieved, which impedes aiming.
                          4.The automatic rifle jams: 1.With thick grease: 2-4% of the time
                          2.With dry parts: 12-14%
                          3.In dusty conditions: 14-50%
                          4.While aiming up or down: 8-12%

                          5.The barrel life is 6000 rounds when firing 50 rounds per minute, after which the rifle was allowed to cool. Continuous fire brings the life down to 150-200 rounds.
                          As a result of trials, it was concluded that:

                          1.Is is not viable to create an automatic rifle from a semi-automatic one by modifying the trigger group.
                          2.It is only possible to aim with such an automatic rifle when using a thickened barrel and lightened bipod.
                          3.When converting a semi-automatic rifle to fully automatic by only modifying the trigger group, its combat usefulness decreases to less than that of a submachine gun.

                          Conclusions
                          1.Due to the decreased combat usefulness, conversion of a semi-automatic rifle to a fully automatic one is not rational.
                          2.In order to reach required density of fire with a high probability of hitting the target, it is better to use submachineguns, which have the advantages of simpler production, higher reliability, compactness, high magazine capacity, larger stocks of ammunition, etc.
                          C&R nut.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CSACANNONEER
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 44094

                            Originally posted by zekes
                            Yeah, I know it's impossible in California. I'm just hoping, if I do move out of state (which I'd actually do if I could find an AVT-40) - could I say, get a gunsmith to do the conversion for me?

                            Looking at past auctions (out of all of google, I've found maybe three), they go for 500-750 apiece. If I can find an auction at the right time.
                            Actually, it is not impossible in CA. There are certain requirements and permits that you would need to meet. It is improbably that you would meet those but not impossible.
                            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                            Utah CCW Instructor


                            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                            sigpic
                            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                            KM6WLV

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Spyder
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 17280

                              If I could find good functional SVT-40s for 500 bucks apiece, I'd grab a few today.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1