Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bought Myself a Luger!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Johhny
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 204

    Bought Myself a Luger!

    I was making the rounds at the local gun stores, and was surprised to find a nice looking Luger with a tag reading "$650" on it, and nothing else. Through the case, I looked at the bore, and saw that it was indeed a 9mm, and not a .22 clone or .30 Luger model.

    Thinking that the tag must be from another gun, I asked to look at it, and confirmed that it was a consignment, and indeed only listed for $650. The store owner told me that the gun is mismatched, and had been refinished, so there is very little collector value in it. That's fine by me, I just want to have an affordable Luger to shoot! (possibly in USPSA or IDPA to be funny)

    Upon closer inspection, the Luger appears to be a 1917 DWM, serial 1xxx. The refinish is a matte blue, and looks a little rough, but cosmetically it looks nicer to me than a worn original finish. That is perfectly fine by me for the price, as I plan on shooting it a lot, and letting others shoot it a lot. Also, I won't be worried about wearing it out by running it quickly from a kydex holster I plan on making.

    All numbers seem to match, except possibly the barrel, which I couldn't quite read in the dim store lighting without a magnifying glass. There also appears to be an import mark on the bottom of the barrel, which I also could not read at the moment. However, the bore is bright with sharp rifling.

    The store owner is a cool guy, and he let me buy the gun for a flat $700 out the door, giving me a $32 discount off the $732 total with tax and fees. The gun is now in 10 day jail, and I can't wait to pick it up!

    Here is a blurry cell phone photo through the display case to tide everyone over until I can pick her up.



    And now that I have the pistol in my possession, here are some slightly better photos:













    So, how did I do for $700? Did I get ripped off? Did I score a sweet deal? Did I pay the average?

    All the numbers except for the sideplate and barrel appear to match. The magazine appears to be of WW2 vintage, and the vendor believes that the old magazine serial number was ground down, and the current serial number was stamped over it.

    The sideplate appears to have "81" crossed out, and either a "C 5", "G 5", or "6 5" stamped below it.

    I can't quite read the stamping beneath the barrel, but it appears to say "G C S A PENT SAUNT N", with an older crown over "U" proof mark, and a number "653"

    The receiver appears to be cut for an artiller Luger sight, just above the 1917 date. I am wondering whether the rebarrel was done by a military, or a commercial entity. I know that some artillery Lugers had their long barrels replaced with 4" barrels following WWI.

    Can anyone shed some light on this gun? I am also asking the Luger forum if they know anything.
    Last edited by Johhny; 08-11-2015, 7:17 PM.
    Do the impossible, see the invisible,
    ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!
    Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable,
    ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!
    "A gunman from the past used to say this: 'There's a gun in everyone's heart.'" - Isaac Dian
  • #2
    SantaCabinetguy
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2011
    • 15142

    Congrats!
    Hauoli Makahiki Hou


    -------

    Comment

    • #3
      iluvmycolt
      Veteran Member
      • May 2013
      • 3247

      Nice pick up, OP. Congrats.

      Comment

      • #4
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        Lugers are a nice shooting gun.
        You have a nice shooter there, not a safe queen.
        Works for me.

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #5
          sealocan
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2012
          • 9956

          Congratulations Johnny, I am no Luger expert but I think you did good and if you hold on to it its very likely it will appreciate in value.

          that unique toggle action always kept me from grabbing one...
          kind of like Mazda & their rotary engines. the systems work it's just not what I'm accustom to.

          make sure to check out my thread on German version of Bubba-ed Lugars. They take it to a form of artwork.

          Comment

          • #6
            spb_la
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 1419

            Great price for a shooter, in 9mm to boot!
            If I stumbled on it, I'd get another Luger in a heartbeat.
            "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket."

            Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.

            PM me your requests for Russian AK optics - Obzor, Kashtan, Rakurs, POSP, etc.

            Buy your BNIB Russian AK Optics here!

            Comment

            • #7
              VegasND
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2007
              • 8621

              Good price on the Luger, you can shoot it all you want without worrying about harming its value.
              People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
              --River Tam

              Comment

              • #8
                Enfield47
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 6385

                Not a bad deal at all. This should make a fine shooter for you and if you decide to collect all correct ones, you'll have this one that you can shoot.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bohoki
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 20826

                  get yourself some mec-gar mags and the mag loading tool

                  if you have any problems with function try some +p

                  those were designed for 9mm not our anemic walmart winchester

                  although i am not suggesting rounding up hirtenberger machinegun 9mm

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SonofWWIIDI
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 21583

                    Nice!
                    Sorry, not sorry.
                    🎺

                    Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      wjc
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 10880

                      Congrats!

                      As long as you're stoked about it nothing else matters....
                      sigpic

                      NRA Benefactor Member
                      NRA Golden Eagle
                      SAF Life Member
                      CGN Contributor

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bobby Ricigliano
                        Mit Gott und Mauser
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 17439

                        Originally posted by Johhny
                        Also, I won't be worried about wearing it out by running it quickly from a kydex holster I plan on making.
                        A Luger in a Kydex holster. Now I have seen it all.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TMB 1
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 7153

                          Nice!
                          I also got a deal on a refinished non matching Luger a few years ago. I had to do a little fitting to the side plate to get it working right.
                          Last edited by TMB 1; 09-08-2015, 10:45 PM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            81turbota
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Oct 2014
                            • 2956

                            The Luger is a wonderfully unique pistol. They carry a certain aura, always attract a crowd and shoot differently than any handgun on the planet. Personally, I'd be hard pressed not to buy any nice looking, mechanically sound 9mm Luger for <$700. Welcome to the club!

                            My experience- these pistols are extremely sensitive to ammunition and magazines. The "preferred" ammo with the Luger crowd is Winchester white box. The original mag in my Mauser Luger caused stovepipes unless upwards pressure was applied due to some wear. Look to Greg Cote for Mec-Gar Luger magazines for $30.

                            Both of these were sub $800 Lugers purchased this year. 1940 Mauser (42 code) with eagles intact, 4" Norwegian police re barrel (left). DWM/Erfurt mixmaster Finn, 5" Tikkakoski re barrel on the right, SA stamped of course.

                            Last edited by 81turbota; 08-01-2015, 12:05 AM.
                            C&R nut.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              AR22
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2011
                              • 2174

                              Nice OP. I do not own one but have fired my buddys a few times. They are just such natural pointer. They feel like a part of you when you aim them.

                              They feel more natural in your hand so to speak then any other Pistol I have ever handled.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1