Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Trading up

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • adamjay
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 1400

    Trading up

    So lately I have been trading up. Not always straight across, and sometimes selling one and buying another. But not getting rid of my C&Rs, getting rid of modern guns for the oldies.

    I've traded off AR15s, polymer pistols I didn't care for, and Rem870's - I've acquired antique Finnish m39's, a Rockola M1 carbine, a Romanian Mosin M44. I feel like I've definately traded up. The new stuff seems to keep going down in price, and the oldies keep goin up. I can always pick up another Tupperware gun or drill out another lower, but everytime I secure one of the old war horses, I feel like I've locked in a fleeting opportunity. It seems that more and more, steel and walnut feel better than aluminum and plastic.

    Sure, it'd be better to never sell anything. I've got a modest monthly budget for acquisition, but I feel I've leveraged my resources a little by doin some trading.

    Anybody feel me on this? What trades like this have you done?
    'The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.'

    -Abraham Lincoln
  • #2
    steelrain82
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 3683

    I think you are making sound investments. I'm kind of thinking of doing what you are doing. I've really been wanting an m1 carbine, and I'm thinking about selling of my xds as a means to an end.

    Comment

    • #3
      73 RB-Z
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 352

      Last year was the year of the pistol for me. This year I sold the neglected CZ and am picking up a couple C&R rifles as a result

      Worthy investments in my opinion. The milsurp rifles all have hidden stories contained in each ding and dent. I love the history and heritage of the old rifles. Besides the collectible nature and value, the mystery behind each gun is part of the interest for me. It's also just cool to shoulder and fire a piece of history
      -Andy / Steeltown Duke SASS# 104602

      Comment

      • #4
        Bullitt01
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2013
        • 3905

        Andy, you are right. But it seems the interest for the 'ole cool stuff is fading. Most of the new generation of gun collectors want the 'new' stuff.

        Comment

        • #5
          GeorgeGeorgerson
          Member
          • Nov 2014
          • 221

          I traded my paycheck for 2 S&W 1950s revolvers in roughly 3 weeks via the private handgun sales section, does that count?
          WTB Star Megastar in .45 (Starvel or Blue)

          Comment

          • #6
            73 RB-Z
            Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 352

            Originally posted by Bullitt01
            Andy, you are right. But it seems the interest for the 'ole cool stuff is fading. Most of the new generation of gun collectors want the 'new' stuff.
            Absolutely true. I'm 35 and very rarely do I meet anyone near my age with interest in this stuff. I have modern ARs, tried the AK (neither are actually new designs), own modern pistols I'd trust for defense, etc.

            Once I got a thought in my head like, how f-ing cool would it be to have a rifle like my granddad might have carried in WW2. Then it snowballs from there... my great grandfather was a gnarly Swedish dude that carried a S&W 1917 (that my dad still has), and I think in my trusty logic, now I need a Swedish Mauser!

            I know it's just a matter of time before my eye looks to 303 British..

            Anyway, I was only a class away from a History minor in college, so I generally just love history. It's great to have this forum really to share our passion for these old rifles and pistols

            I also credit a lot of the popular Youtube channels for fueling my interest beyond what was already there.
            -Andy / Steeltown Duke SASS# 104602

            Comment

            • #7
              AR22
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 2174

              Most recent trade was a 1892 Winchester in 32-40 that I never really wanted but bought it anyway. Barrel was shortened and turned to a half round half octagaon. Magazine cut down, buttstock replaced, and reblued.

              To bad it was done but was.

              Traded it for a original 1863 Remington New Model made in June of 1864.

              Both of us are very happy, but I think I got the better deal.

              Traded a mutt AR15 worth around 600.00 for a really nice IBM M1 Carbine with original flip sight, sight I am 100% certain was original to the Carbine.

              Best deal ever on a money maker was at a garage sale. Never really wanted it either but it was a rare Model 10 single shot Remington Nylon.

              Paid 100.00 and a guy offered near 800.00 so it was his in a instant

              Have made many other trades that weregreat deals. I have newer stuff too and if anyone offers a old antique I like for my new stuff. It is gone.

              Easy to replace the new stuff if the need arises. They are not making anymore of the C&R or Antiques.

              Comment

              • #8
                adamjay
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 1400

                Originally posted by Bullitt01
                Andy, you are right. But it seems the interest for the 'ole cool stuff is fading. Most of the new generation of gun collectors want the 'new' stuff.
                Whippersnappers! More good stuff for us.

                I don't know though if interest is fading - prices seem to be creeping up. But then again, so is the price of everything.

                I asked each of my kids if they'd rather lay claim to a Mosin M1891 or an AR15 for when I pass... They each chose a Mosin. The older ones knew to pick the Dragoons or Finns. Of course, my young daughter picked the prettiest one, and my 4 year old boy didn't much care as long as it had a "sword" on the tip , but you get my point.

                I think if we get a chance to engage young people in the history behind and within each of these old guns, there will always be some that are going to get excited.
                'The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.'

                -Abraham Lincoln

                Comment

                • #9
                  adamjay
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 1400

                  Originally posted by GeorgeGeorgerson
                  I traded my paycheck for 2 S&W 1950s revolvers in roughly 3 weeks via the private handgun sales section, does that count?
                  I'm gonna say yes, yes it does.
                  'The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.'

                  -Abraham Lincoln

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bsg
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 25954

                    Originally posted by GeorgeGeorgerson
                    I traded my paycheck for 2 S&W 1950s revolvers in roughly 3 weeks via the private handgun sales section, does that count?
                    pre-Bangor Punta S&W revolvers are very desirable to me.

                    adamjay, i feel ya.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NOTABIKER
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 7635

                      surplus guns have a hidden story, they saw war . Maybe ocupation etc. For me about 3 years ago i ordered a Savage in 223 and while i waited for the DROS to be completed i bought a Mosin from big 5. I got all excited about getting a real military rifle and just never got excited over the Savage even though it was a excellent shooter. todays guns no matter how great they are are just manufactured metal and plastic.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ArnoldKC
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • 694

                        I could not agree more. I'm a History major, getting ready to start my Master's in American History. As a 29 year old, I can't say too many of my friends my age are really into C&Rs. I'm getting ready to sell or trade off my Remy 700, and S&W ARs. I'm trying to get an original Chicago Typewriter.
                        "A country rescued by their arms from impending ruin, will never leave unpaid the debt of gratitude."

                        -George Washington



                        "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

                        -Dwight D. Eisenhower

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Enfield47
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 6385

                          Originally posted by ArnoldKC
                          I could not agree more. I'm a History major, getting ready to start my Master's in American History. As a 29 year old, I can't say too many of my friends my age are really into C&Rs. I'm getting ready to sell or trade off my Remy 700, and S&W ARs. I'm trying to get an original Chicago Typewriter.
                          Save up your money, that will be similar to buying a car. Highpower recently got an original one (but he lives in a free state). They are very iconic guns and are on my list but I'll probably get an Auto Ordnance repro since they are about $20k cheaper and I won't have to neuter an original.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rdfact
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 2688

                            Originally posted by adamjay
                            It seems that more and more, steel and walnut feel better than aluminum and plastic.
                            Truer words have never been written.

                            I don't even own an AR.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              rdfact
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 2688

                              Originally posted by AR22
                              Traded a mutt AR15 worth around 600.00 for a really nice IBM M1 Carbine with original flip sight, sight I am 100% certain was original to the Carbine.
                              How long ago was that trade? That's an incredible deal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1