Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M1 Garand - pricing reality check please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • larkja
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1362

    M1 Garand - pricing reality check please

    I might get flamed, but here goes...

    I, like many of you here, LOVE Garands. I have had a couple CMP Garands over the years, and unfortunately, sold them.

    I have my C&R and am just waiting on my CoE from the state to order directly from the CMP. That being said, I am still open to purchasing Garands from private parties, but...

    Most of the prices I see here are ridiculous. Service grades with unknown throat or muzzle readings for $1,300+. People, Service grades from the CMP are $730. Yes, wait times are pretty long, and you never know what you're going to get (stock, wear, etc), so it's reasonable to ask a premium for a nice rifle - say $100 or so?

    So, if anybody out there has a Garand they're interested in selling, and you're asking a fair price, drop me a line.

    Okay, vent over.
  • #2
    Josh3239
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2006
    • 9200

    Yep Garand prices are crazy. They don't make sense but they are what they are. I say load up on CMP or any other fairly priced ones you can find and as soon as you have received them their value is inflated. I got one from Dupage for $600 and one from the CMP for $500. I am confident I get atleast a grand for each of them. I love them, but money is money and they are investments more than anything to me.

    Comment

    • #3
      Marquand
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 1482

      No flames here but once again, the market bears what the market bears. If folks can sell their service grade rifles for $1300 than there is a market for them in that condition at that price point. Sorry you can't find one that suits your budget but there is no "reasonable" premium rule. Would you sell a firearm for $570 less than the current market value?
      "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

      Comment

      • #4
        DennisCA
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 4069

        I agree with Marquand - The market bears what it can bear.

        Who wouldn't try to sell a service-grade Grand for $1300?

        In MOST cases however they sit there for awhile and then price gets lowered.

        larkja-Hang in there just be patient and something will come by (the key is to be quick or lucky) or just go to CMP order it and wait. From what I've heard it's worth the wait!
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.

        Comment

        • #5
          larkja
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 1362

          Once my CoE comes in (should be any day now), I plan on ordering 3 to start - one Special grade for club events and two Service grades for the safe :-) I always like to do business locally, but if I have to, I'll just order through the CMP.

          Comment

          • #6
            Full Clip
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 10266

            There are three points of "reality" when it comes to Garands:
            (1) They ain't making 'em anymore.
            (2) They ain't going down in price anytime soon.
            (3) They're awesome.

            Comment

            • #7
              rvr350
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 716

              I think more realistically it's around $1k for a service grade. $1300 is gonna sit for a long time. Even gun shows it's around $1k for one, but then, you don't know the origin on those. Be aware of garanditis, it's very addictive. I started wanting one, and now i have enough to arm a squad, and no end in sight.

              Comment

              • #8
                OpenSightsOnly
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 1557

                Get the CMP Special Grade, the new barrel and stock make it shoot better. Ask the CMP to make sure that the gas cylinder lock stops at the 5 o'clock position since that will give the gas cylinder snug fit.

                If you like the Service Grade, they aint bad. Some stocks don't fit right or they are out of Service Grade stocks so the CMP may give you a new stock. It's like a Special Grade with a used barrel. YMMV

                Folks start to collect that then they start "correcting" the parts for "correctness" in parts and finish. Yep, that will burn a hole in your pocket. lol!

                Comment

                • #9
                  durandal
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 1483

                  A few months ago i saw an M1 with a cast century receiver going for about $1100.
                  ---
                  WTB: old cz75 with round trigger guard & spur hammer, sf bay

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Eljay
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4985

                    There's a lot to be said for ordering 3 from the CMP, flipping the two you like the least for a moderate markup (let somebody else pay $100-$200 for their laziness) and using the profits to subsidize the one you keep.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jarhead
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 2847

                      Originally posted by Eljay
                      There's a lot to be said for ordering 3 from the CMP, flipping the two you like the least for a moderate markup (let somebody else pay $100-$200 for their laziness) and using the profits to subsidize the one you keep.
                      I started that way too .................I ended up buy a dozen and keeping everyone of them All great Shooters, last half dozen was highest serial number available, stopped buying 7-8 years ago but still have half a dozen stocks and enough parts to probably build another 3-4 if I bought Receivers. They are very addicting, did same with M1 Carbines

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        larkja
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 1362

                        Thanks for the suggestion about the gas cylinder lock. I heard when purchasing, you can write a letter requesting certain things and they will do their best to accommodate.

                        Any other suggestions when purchasing?

                        Thanks

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rvr350
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 716

                          Highly doubt they will check gas lock that stop at 5 o clock for you. You can always request a certain serial range, manufacturer or usgi wood. But the more specific you put in, the harder for them to honor. Just be broad, ie ww2 usgi wood. Makes life easier for everyone.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            slunk0844
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 1296

                            I'm about to sell my M1 Garand special grade with around 700 rounds of surplus ammo, about 200 enblocs, and a bag of spare parts. But I'm in So Cal and I don't want so ship it...was going ask $1200 or so
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Jarhead
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 2847

                              Originally posted by slunk0844
                              I'm about to sell my M1 Garand special grade with around 700 rounds of surplus ammo, about 200 enblocs, and a bag of spare parts. But I'm in So Cal and I don't want so ship it...was going ask $1200 or so
                              Excellent Price for someone in CA, their going for 1K at CMP today .............did you lose your thumb or dislocate your shoulder

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1