Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Garand Troubles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrkurtz
    Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 174

    Garand Troubles

    I bought a Garand 3 years ago from a fellow forum member, but I never got around to shooting it. Well I finally took it out over the weekend. The trigger group falls out of the bottom of the rifle when you fire it. Consistently. The trigger guard is locked firmly into place. It seems to lock up tight.
    From what I've read the cause is the trigger guard is not locking up tight enough and you have to bend it. But where to bend? Just the tab? The entire radius of the guard? It's spring steel so won't it just unbend?
    Are there any good Garand gunsmiths in the LA area? Thanks.
  • #2
    God Bless America
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2014
    • 5165

    louisiana or los angeles?

    if so cal, we can meet at a range and I can take a look at it.

    the TG lugs might be flat, or the stock might be compressed. maybe the lug recesses on the receiver legs are worn. easy enough to check.
    Last edited by God Bless America; 04-13-2015, 9:09 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      george223
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 1212

      A friend of mine had the same problem with his Garand. I got him a milled trigger guard at a gun show and offered to swap it out for him. Problem solved. Not saying this is the only solution. There are 1000's of Garands out there with stamped trigger guards that function just fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        SMarquez
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 2216

        Whack it with a rubber mallet. They can take a little persuasion sometimes to lock up completely. I think I saw some pictures of the CMP folks doing that.

        Comment

        • #5
          SoCalGoldenBearsHPRClub
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2015
          • 90

          Originally posted by mrkurtz
          I bought a Garand 3 years ago from a fellow forum member, but I never got around to shooting it. Well I finally took it out over the weekend. The trigger group falls out of the bottom of the rifle when you fire it. Consistently. The trigger guard is locked firmly into place. It seems to lock up tight.
          From what I've read the cause is the trigger guard is not locking up tight enough and you have to bend it. But where to bend? Just the tab? The entire radius of the guard? It's spring steel so won't it just unbend?
          Are there any good Garand gunsmiths in the LA area? Thanks.

          If you are in LA, CA, do you have time this coming Sunday morning, 04/19/2015, to go to Angeles Shooting Range ("ASR")? One of the guys can take a look at your M1.

          If so inclined, please email the Secretary so we can work/coordinate the time.
          http://www.goldenbears.org/history.php

          Any questions - secretary@goldenbears.org

          Comment

          • #6
            peppermintman
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 1943

            Originally posted by SoCalGoldenBearsHPRClub
            If you are in LA, CA, do you have time this coming Sunday morning, 04/19/2015, to go to Angeles Shooting Range ("ASR")? One of the guys can take a look at your M1.

            If so inclined, please email the Secretary so we can work/coordinate the time.
            There was a guy Sunday at the match that had the same problem. What was done that fixed the trigger pa k from fAlling out?

            Comment

            • #7
              mrkurtz
              Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 174

              That was me at the match . The suggestion was that I find a competent gunsmith. I just kept re installing it after every shot. Kind of slows you down.

              Comment

              • #8
                SoCalGoldenBearsHPRClub
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2015
                • 90

                ^^

                The offer stands if you have time this coming Sunday. Just email the Secretary.

                If not, then you can source a new trigger guard or a new stock from the CMP.

                Thanks for showing up last Sunday. It was blue skies and lots of light - always good if you're shooting!
                http://www.goldenbears.org/history.php

                Any questions - secretary@goldenbears.org

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1