Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The Good Old Days

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Heatseeker
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 1886

    The Good Old Days

    I was cleaning out my garage and found this box. Reminded of a time when collecting guns and ammo was a much more affordable hobby:
    If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it 'til it is...
  • #2
    ElvenSoul
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Apr 2008
    • 17431

    nice!
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Danodog
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • May 2013
      • 2533

      I remember being at the Del Mar Fair in the 90's. I bought my Russian SKS for $129.00 and walked over across the aisle to get my 440 round crate for $45.00. I later picked up my Swede Mauser M96/38 with a minty barrel and stock for $119. Fun times!
      Calguns Contributor
      NRA Benefactor Member
      CRPA Member
      San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
      What have you done for 2A lately?

      Comment

      • #4
        echo1
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 3932

        That's nothing. You ever see pickle barrels full of milsurps? Started at 5 bucks up in 5 buck increments to 25 bucks. Then the better guns were in racks, 30 - 50 bucks, then the best ones were on the wall, 50 - 100 bucks (new unissued Garands...with ammo). I think a box of .22 was 75cents or less.

        Oh, gas was 20 cents/gal, and they pumped it, washed your window, checked your oil and tires. Those my friend, were the good ol days.

        If you tried to eat a dollars worth of candy, they'd have to pump your stomach out. PAX
        You need a crew

        "A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

        Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

        Comment

        • #5
          navydad2010
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 545

          Yep I remember waiting at the counter for the salesman to bring out my first 1911..Big 5 on Firestone Blvd. Looking into the barrel of Garands and M1 carbines, K98, Mk III Enfield's, and thinking I could get a crate or two of these things for what this Colt costs... ... shoulda too...that Commander never did shoot as good as any other 1911 I've had..
          Political Correctness is just fascism pretending to be manners-George Carlin

          Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. - James Madison

          Comment

          • #6
            TRAP55
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 5536

            Originally posted by echo1
            That's nothing. You ever see pickle barrels full of milsurps? Started at 5 bucks up in 5 buck increments to 25 bucks. Then the better guns were in racks, 30 - 50 bucks, then the best ones were on the wall, 50 - 100 bucks (new unissued Garands...with ammo). I think a box of .22 was 75cents or less.

            Oh, gas was 20 cents/gal, and they pumped it, washed your window, checked your oil and tires. Those my friend, were the good ol days.

            If you tried to eat a dollars worth of candy, they'd have to pump your stomach out. PAX
            echo, you keep posting stuff like that, and these pups will think we're all senile.

            Comment

            • #7
              Dump1567
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2002
              • 1621

              Late 80's. Woolworths in El Camino Mall (Oceanside area). Rack full of M1 Carbines (Probably Blue Sky or Arl. Ord). Price was $139 or $159 each.

              Selling guns in a mall. Boy, times have changed. What happened to us?
              Watch & Pray

              Comment

              • #8
                81turbota
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Oct 2014
                • 2956

                I'm such a new guy...I bought my first milsurp in 2008, Big 5 M44 for $79 on sale.
                C&R nut.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Capybara
                  CGSSA Coordinator
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 15650

                  I am not as life experienced as some of you but I did buy my first gun, this Brazilian 20 ga. at K-Mart for $59.00 in 1982. Remember when K-Mart, Gemco and hardware stores used to sell guns? My kids and students still shoot it today, has never broken, faltered or failed, a pretty good investment 33 years ago.

                  NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rcslotcar
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • 1100

                    My brothers .22 single shot Remington was bought with S&H green stamps.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Low Light
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 788

                      Pops bought his first gun, a Ruger SBH for $175, out of The Recycler, 1979.
                      Originally posted by Enfield47
                      I'm rooting for the allied team, I think we won last time but I can't remember. I just remember it was a lot of fun.
                      I know I'm gonna get got, but I'm going to get mine more than I get got though.
                      -Marshawn Lynch

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Enfield47
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 6385

                        It is such a shame that the current nanny state political climate has taken away so many of our freedoms. I remember when you could buy and walk out of the Great Western show with a new pistol or any rifle that was for sale. I also remember all the guns for sale in Montgomery Ward and Sears - no one batted an eye if you walked out carrying your new gun either. It's sad that those days are long gone and that the new generation of gun owners will never know what that was like.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Danodog
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • May 2013
                          • 2533

                          Originally posted by Enfield47
                          It is such a shame that the current nanny state political climate has taken away so many of our freedoms. I remember when you could buy and walk out of the Great Western show with a new pistol or any rifle that was for sale. I also remember all the guns for sale in Montgomery Ward and Sears - no one batted an eye if you walked out carrying your new gun either. It's sad that those days are long gone and that the new generation of gun owners will never know what that was like.
                          It was awesome walking out of the gun show to the parking lot of the Del Mar Fair grounds with a newly purchased rifle and ammo to go with it. No concerns what so ever. I even remember showing the Fair security guards the Swedish Mauser when I left. He said " I think I am going to get me one of those!"
                          Calguns Contributor
                          NRA Benefactor Member
                          CRPA Member
                          San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
                          What have you done for 2A lately?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Lucky Scott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2610

                            I love these stories about how cheap guns were at one time. Of course, a brand new corvette was $3,999.00 and an average paycheck was $129.00 a week.
                            I guess it is all relative.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Enfield47
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 6385

                              Originally posted by Lucky Scott
                              I love these stories about how cheap guns were at one time. Of course, a brand new corvette was $3,999.00 and an average paycheck was $129.00 a week.
                              I guess it is all relative.
                              Yes, the price was mostly relative to the times, but it was the vast supply that really made the difference. Racks and racks of rifles to pick up and handle and pick the one(s) you liked best was an awesome experience. Ammo was also available in every caliber by the crate for just a few cents a round. I just wish I would have bought more back then and held onto it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1