Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

3rd Gen. Universal M1 Carbine

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Spectre1995
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 1293

    3rd Gen. Universal M1 Carbine

    One of my friends just gave me a Third Generation Universal M1 Carbine, yes, the ones that are able to fire out of battery, but I'll get to that later. While I wait on the 10 day waiting period, I had a couple questions about this rifle.

    The buttstock broke off of it, so I had to butcher a simple repair in order to have it able to be DROS'd using the buttstock of a Marlin Model 60. The repair looks ridiculous, but it'll work until the wait is up. What i'd like to know is what's the most inexpensive option for replacing the stock, or at least maybe just the buttstock? I was thinking of taking an old shovel and cutting off the handle and about four or five inches of the shaft along with it, then drill into the stub where the butt broke off, and drill a few holes for dowels, then gorilla glue it into place. I'd much rather have a more original look to it though.

    My other question is about the out of battery discharges; is there any way to fix this? I have pulled the bolt back about a quarter inch and dry fired it, and the hammer dropped as it would have if the bolt were closed and locked, so it's definitely one of the "unsafe" rifles. I was thinking of converting it somehow to use an SKS fire control group, but I figure it would be incredibly difficult to get it to sit properly. So, are there any other options to remedy the out of battery problems?

    Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Gearhead Guns LLC
    01 FFL Licensed Gunsmith

    No Longer Providing Transfer Services

    We offer CNC Machining, Laser Engraving, Cerakote and More

    El Segundo, CA
    By Appointment Only!

    sigpic
  • #2
    TMB 1
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2012
    • 7153

    This places tells the history of Universal. You should read the 4 pages on Universal and the safety issue section. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

    This place has parts and stocks http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...460.htm?page=5
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Spectre1995
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2013
      • 1293

      Will the ones from Numrich fit the Gen. 3's? I've heard they either don't fit or require alot of custom fitting to make them work correctly
      Gearhead Guns LLC
      01 FFL Licensed Gunsmith

      No Longer Providing Transfer Services

      We offer CNC Machining, Laser Engraving, Cerakote and More

      El Segundo, CA
      By Appointment Only!

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        NOTABIKER
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2012
        • 7635

        no love for Universal on this board, some are very good carbines but people lump all of them as bad. Some used USGI parts and were very nice copies of the original mechanically. I hope you like it.

        Comment

        • #5
          Spectre1995
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2013
          • 1293

          Oh, I love it so far, even though it's got a bad rep. I've always wanted a Carbine since I was a kid (not too long ago), so this is like a dream come true for me, even if it isn't an original.
          Gearhead Guns LLC
          01 FFL Licensed Gunsmith

          No Longer Providing Transfer Services

          We offer CNC Machining, Laser Engraving, Cerakote and More

          El Segundo, CA
          By Appointment Only!

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            TMB 1
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2012
            • 7153

            I don't know. I clicked on one of the stocks, it shows stocks for both Universal and Iver Johnson http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/545270.htm#545270B Probably because the Iver stock fits early Universals. Maybe you could call them and ask?

            I have read a regular M1 Carbine stock can be made to fit.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Spectre1995
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2013
              • 1293

              I'll call and ask to see what I can find out.

              I'd prefer the "original" looking stock, and I'd rather not pay a whole lot for it, but I will if it comes down to it.
              Gearhead Guns LLC
              01 FFL Licensed Gunsmith

              No Longer Providing Transfer Services

              We offer CNC Machining, Laser Engraving, Cerakote and More

              El Segundo, CA
              By Appointment Only!

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                CaliforniaSon
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 748

                So, I've had a couple of the Universal carbines and loved them. If it's a 3rd gen you should be able to use a Ramline stock and may just dremmel it to fit, if it doesn't drop right in. I want to say they are about $75 for the black synthetic ones. If you want, in box me and I will see if I have a spare one sitting around still, too.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1