Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

G3 Heavy buffer???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • morepoop4u
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2185

    G3 Heavy buffer???

    Anyone put one on or know what the specs are for the internal spring? It seems like a simple DIY project.

  • #2
    valley82
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2768

    Put one on all three of my 91 builds.
    No clue on spring rates, had no reason to measure them...

    Comment

    • #3
      morepoop4u
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 2185

      Originally posted by valley82
      Put one on all three of my 91 builds.
      No clue on spring rates, had no reason to measure them...
      How do you like it?

      Anyone try this buffer insert


      Comment

      • #4
        valley82
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 2768

        Love the rifles...although I have not shot a 91 without it so I have nothing to compare it to.

        Comment

        • #5
          ptoguy2002
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 3866

          Skip the rubber buffer. The standard G3/91 has a buffer in it already that when you use that midway one, basically causes it not to work.
          Reports on hkpro of the ghillie built / RTG parts buffer have been good that I have read, have no personal experience.
          WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols
          WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
          WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
          WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

          Comment

          • #6
            NPettinato14
            Member
            • Feb 2021
            • 115

            Last edited by NPettinato14; 10-24-2022, 10:33 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              FeuerFrei
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2008
              • 7455

              IMO your money is better spent on trigger work in stead of a buffer swap.

              Taming a 91 or clone needs a little more work aka, trigger, comp/brake and buffer to get her to shoot flat. Buy the combo plate instead of a la cart for best results.

              Comment

              • #8
                Ki6vsm
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 2354

                Originally posted by FeuerFrei
                IMO your money is better spent on trigger work in stead of a buffer swap.
                How do we know the OP hasn't already improved his trigger? And anyway, what's wrong with doing both? Not mutually exclusive mods.

                Look at me. Big talker. LOL I have an HK91 in my safe that's had a Williams trigger job done on it, PLUS I installed the "heavy" buffer at one point. Been that way for years and I still haven't taken it out to the desert. Maybe this year.

                Comment

                • #9
                  FeuerFrei
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 7455

                  Originally posted by Ki6vsm
                  How do we know the OP hasn't already improved his trigger? And anyway, what's wrong with doing both? Not mutually exclusive mods.

                  Look at me. Big talker. LOL I have an HK91 in my safe that's had a Williams trigger job done on it, PLUS I installed the "heavy" buffer at one point. Been that way for years and I still haven't taken it out to the desert. Maybe this year.
                  You have 2/3 of the combo plate.

                  Shame on you for not taking it out of the safe and letting it do it's thing.

                  I left my gen 1 PTR as is except for swapping furniture for wood. It's a great rifle and a dead clone of a 91. It's burned a few cases of ammo with good accuracy/reliability.

                  IMO recoil is not worthy of discussion, but not everybody shares my opinion. Maybe the OP weighs 120# soaking wet?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    heyjerr
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 1187

                    When I got my PTR I found that the buffer was actually stuck and the impact of the recoil was very sharp/sudden. I bought the RTG buffer and the Springfield trigger and haven't looked back.

                    My PTR was built during the AWB so it does not have a threaded barrel. Would love to find a way to tame the fireball this thing kicks out....absolutely blinding at night.
                    Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NPettinato14
                      Member
                      • Feb 2021
                      • 115

                      Originally posted by heyjerr
                      When I got my PTR I found that the buffer was actually stuck and the impact of the recoil was very sharp/sudden. I bought the RTG buffer and the Springfield trigger and haven't looked back.

                      My PTR was built during the AWB so it does not have a threaded barrel. Would love to find a way to tame the fireball this thing kicks out....absolutely blinding at night.
                      If you have a 16" barrel and want to lessen the flash, go to a lower grain bullet. 308 is really intended for a 20" barrel. Anything shorter is going to start burning powder in front of the muzzle. If you go that way, do watch for the type of projectile being used, as that may be what accounts for the drop in weight and not the powder (frangible, hollow point, etc.)

                      The 18" was built for 147 grain 7.62x51 NATO, which has less powder than 308 Winchester due to the thicker case wall. You truly have no reason to go up to above 160 with a PTR, IMO. It's a waste of money and powder.

                      I've noticed that the NATO ammo definitely has a tamed flash compared to 308 Win. MEN/Magtech/Sellier & Bellot are your best bets there (again, IMO).
                      Last edited by NPettinato14; 10-26-2022, 10:21 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Caflashbob
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 29

                        Most non hk springs would probably not be as long lived as hk spec ones. I went all the way with a Spuhr buttstock, m21e buffer. Limbsaver buttpad.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ki6vsm
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2013
                          • 2354

                          Originally posted by FeuerFrei
                          You have 2/3 of the combo plate.

                          Shame on you for not taking it out of the safe and letting it do it's thing.

                          I left my gen 1 PTR as is except for swapping furniture for wood. It's a great rifle and a dead clone of a 91. It's burned a few cases of ammo with good accuracy/reliability.

                          IMO recoil is not worthy of discussion, but not everybody shares my opinion. Maybe the OP weighs 120# soaking wet?
                          The other 1/3? If you're talking about a muzzle break/comp, no thank you. I don't care for them. I'll stick with the flash suppressor the Germans installed. It's the kind with the retaining ring. I don't think the recoil reduction would be worth the extra noise.

                          I did also installed a short clamp-on rail to the top. I forget who it's made by. Some company in Switzerland I think. So I can put on a low rise RDS, or a LPV if I want. And it doesn't block the irons.

                          Yeah, maybe this year. I do have a little stockpile of 7.62 NATO I haven't tapped into yet.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FeuerFrei
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 7455

                            Originally posted by Ki6vsm
                            The other 1/3? If you're talking about a muzzle break/comp, no thank you. I don't care for them. I'll stick with the flash suppressor the Germans installed. It's the kind with the retaining ring. I don't think the recoil reduction would be worth the extra noise.

                            I did also installed a short clamp-on rail to the top. I forget who it's made by. Some company in Switzerland I think. So I can put on a low rise RDS, or a LPV if I want. And it doesn't block the irons.

                            Yeah, maybe this year. I do have a little stockpile of 7.62 NATO I haven't tapped into yet.
                            My rifle likes German surplus DAG for accuracy, but for plinking purposes I run steel cased cheap skate stuff thru it. This thing is a grinder. Never been a picky eater since day 1 of shooting it.

                            I agree with you about brakes in general. Obnoxious things to be sure.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1