Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Difficulty with GSE lower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCal MedTac
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 599

    Difficulty with GSE lower

    Has anyone had any problems with putting together a GSE lower? It seems that there is an extra coating on it that isn't on my stag ones. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    http://www.norcalmedtac.com
    Providing CPR and First Aid training, to small groups and individuals; NRA classes; Defensive Medicine, Defensive Pistol, Defensive Carbine, and Defensive Shotgun classes.


    sigpic
  • #2
    xenophobe
    In Memoriam
    • Jan 2006
    • 7069

    What problems are you having?

    The only real problems you might have are getting a couple of the roll pins in, but that depends on which LPK you bought...

    Comment

    • #3
      NorCal MedTac
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2006
      • 599

      I can't get the roll pins in, can't get the selector detent in all the way, and can't get the piece that goes ont he sring for the bolt release in.
      http://www.norcalmedtac.com
      Providing CPR and First Aid training, to small groups and individuals; NRA classes; Defensive Medicine, Defensive Pistol, Defensive Carbine, and Defensive Shotgun classes.


      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Jicko
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2005
        • 8774

        Post some pictures. And you can always contact GSE... they are good guys...
        - LL
        NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
        sigpic

        New to Calguns, check here first:
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

        Comment

        • #5
          6172crew
          Moderator Emeritus
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 6240

          Where did you get your parts kit? Is it GI spec?
          sigpic
          HMM-161 Westpac 1994

          Comment

          • #6
            NorCal MedTac
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 599

            I got the first hit from SJGE then I thought maybe its the difference in brand like so I ordered a kit from GSE and it still won't work.
            http://www.norcalmedtac.com
            Providing CPR and First Aid training, to small groups and individuals; NRA classes; Defensive Medicine, Defensive Pistol, Defensive Carbine, and Defensive Shotgun classes.


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              kicker72
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2006
              • 531

              I had trouble intstalling stag parts into my GSE, I switched my difficult parts that were giving me trouble with RRA parts and they fit perfect. Hope this helps out.

              PS My Stag selector was also out of spec, i couldn't get it to fit in any lowers, I tried about 6 different brand lowers and it was just a bad part.

              Kicker
              It's better to have it, and not need it, then to need it, and not have it.
              Adaptive Training: Personal Training-Self Defense-Firearms

              My t-shirts http://www.cafepress.com/xtremesportz

              Comment

              • #8
                6172crew
                Moderator Emeritus
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 6240

                Originally posted by kicker72
                I had trouble intstalling stag parts into my GSE, I switched my difficult parts that were giving me trouble with RRA parts and they fit perfect. Hope this helps out.

                PS My Stag selector was also out of spec, i couldn't get it to fit in any lowers, I tried about 6 different brand lowers and it was just a bad part.

                Kicker
                Wacky, Id guess Stag/CMT makes great LPKs but you just never know do ya?
                sigpic
                HMM-161 Westpac 1994

                Comment

                • #9
                  kicker72
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 531

                  Originally posted by 6172crew
                  Wacky, Id guess Stag/CMT makes great LPKs but you just never know do ya?
                  Samething I was thinking. I used 6 Stag LPK's and 6 RRA LPKs. and that one piece is the only one that I couldn't get to fit I believe some of the tolerances are a little different, just ever so slighly. I did notice that the RRA LPK's went together a lot easier than the Stag, as far as the trigger and hammer pins go. Also the front and rear take down pins seem to mate better with the uppers than the stags lpks. Some of the Stags were almost impossible to get in and out, while the RRA just took a push of the thumb to remove the upper. Just my observations from using both products.

                  Kicker
                  It's better to have it, and not need it, then to need it, and not have it.
                  Adaptive Training: Personal Training-Self Defense-Firearms

                  My t-shirts http://www.cafepress.com/xtremesportz

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    PLINK
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 1773

                    Hmmm......I wish I would have read this before ordering 3 Stag LPK's. 2 of them will be going Mega's and one in a Stag. It better work in the Stag lower. I am sure it will work out.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      xenophobe
                      In Memoriam
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 7069

                      The LPKs at the SJGE are from High Standard, which are pretty much just CMT/Stag LPKs.

                      If you're having problems with a receiver you bought at SJGE, bring it in when John is working, he'll install the pins for free.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        azndmd
                        Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 196

                        Got together with a couple of friends and we all built up lower receivers together. We built a Sun Devil, Superior Arms, Double Star, and GSE. The most difficult was the GSE...had to use a dremel to taper the end of all the roll pins just to get it started..and quite a bit of hard pounding with the hammer to get the pins seated all the way. The Double Star was also a tight fit...real similar to the GSE. The Sun Devil was a tight fit also...but not as much as the GSE. The one that went together the easiest without really hard pounding in of the roll pins was the Superior Arms.

                        I know that this is probably due to some slight differences in the final coating/finish of the receivers..but that was our experience.

                        BTW ... DPMS LPK were used on all four builds.
                        Last edited by azndmd; 06-09-2006, 2:05 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          PIRATE14
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3189

                          STAG=CMT=RRA.....pretty much all the same parts from the manufactures.

                          Every now and than u run into one that is out of spec. So far out of over 2,000 LPKs from RRA/STAG no problems.....except for a few missing springs and detents
                          CHECKOUT...http://cwstactical.com FOR ALL YOUR CALIFORNIA LEGAL AR-AK-HK RIFLES and BUILDS...

                          CWS....WE CAN GO HOT ANYTIME....

                          CALIFORNICATION AT IT'S BEST...

                          BRD....BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.......SPREAD IT!!!!!!!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            xenophobe
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 7069

                            Yeah, they do manage to miss a few springs and detents...

                            One whole shipment of 100 kits was missing pivot pins... They quickly sent us a bag of pivot pins.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Experimentalist
                              Banned in Amsterdam
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • May 2006
                              • 1171

                              Sometimes the lowers need a little "cleaning out"

                              I have read in a couple of references that it's a good idea to hand turn an appropriately sized drill bit into each of the holes. This clears out debris from the manufacturing process and ensures the holes are at the correct diameter.

                              I've had some difficulty with my Vulcan lowers, but a little Dremel work seems to have corrected the problems. I have a couple of Stag lowers I'll be building up later. A few fit checks show the Stags to be better than the Vulcans (but then most people seem to already know that...).
                              "An unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is not overcome by fleeing from it" - Col. Jeff Cooper

                              "Shot placement trumps all."

                              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                              Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1