Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm AR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tyrist
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2007
    • 4564

    9mm AR

    Since I cannot have an MP5 I want to make one of my lowers a pistol caliber carbine. Who makes the high grade 9mm uppers. The magazine issue is irrelevant since I can buy whatever mags I want.
  • #2
    savasyn
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 3201

    Read through this thread as it lists a number of the various 9mm uppers.

    I have the RRA one and am very happy with it. I use the Hytech magblock with UZI mags.

    Comment

    • #3
      technique
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2008
      • 10639

      Originally posted by savasyn
      Read through this thread as it lists a number of the various 9mm uppers.

      I have the RRA one and am very happy with it. I use the Hytech magblock with UZI mags.
      +100 kit for UZI mags!!!!!!
      California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
      Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

      I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

      Comment

      • #4
        CHS
        Moderator Emeritus
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2008
        • 11338

        Originally posted by tyrist
        Since I cannot have an MP5 I want to make one of my lowers a pistol caliber carbine. Who makes the high grade 9mm uppers. The magazine issue is irrelevant since I can buy whatever mags I want.
        The overwhelming consensus on 9mm conversions is to go with Colt style, which you can't get from Colt anymore, so buy RRA which is a Colt clone and very high quality.

        Obviously, you can use any AR lower but make sure you get the proper buffer/tube/spring.

        DPMS lower parts kits are fully 9mm BCG-compatible, so you can save some money if you get that parts kit for your lower initially, rather than buying another LPK and then buying the proper hammer seperate. If you already have an assembled lower, then you'll want to make sure you have or purchase the proper hammer.

        Then just get yourself a mag block for whatever style mags you want to go with, and blast away cheaply!
        Please read the Calguns Wiki
        Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
        --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

        Comment

        • #5
          grammaton76
          Administrator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2005
          • 9511

          Originally posted by bdsmchs
          DPMS lower parts kits are fully 9mm BCG-compatible, so you can save some money if you get that parts kit for your lower initially, rather than buying another LPK and then buying the proper hammer seperate. If you already have an assembled lower, then you'll want to make sure you have or purchase the proper hammer.
          Interesting. The DPMS 223 hammer/etc will work fine with the RRA kit?
          Primary author of gunwiki.net - 'like' it on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gunwiki/242578512591 to see whenever new content gets added!

          Comment

          • #6
            THE 0NE
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 590

            build one they are fun!!!

            Comment

            • #7
              savasyn
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 3201

              From my experience, now that I have one that is safely functioning, the newish CMMG 2 stage works with the RRA 9mm upper just fine, too.

              Comment

              • #8
                CWatson
                Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 286

                Originally posted by grammaton76
                Interesting. The DPMS 223 hammer/etc will work fine with the RRA kit?

                I went with the ramped bolt from ADCO for my 9mm build. That way I can use the upper on any of my 223 lowers without having to worry about the hammer. My understanding is it will work with any 223 hammer but NOT a dedicated 9mm hammer.


                CW

                Comment

                • #9
                  apbrian112
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 3279

                  Originally posted by grammaton76
                  Interesting. The DPMS 223 hammer/etc will work fine with the RRA kit?
                  here you go... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261

                  it'll work and you don't have to ramp your bolt... it may or may not lead to trigger slap but it will not lock your bolt up. it will allow you to swap out uppers *9mm to 223/5.56 without the trouble of swapping out different hammers and without having to ramp your 9mm bolt.
                  CRPA Lifetime Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tyrist
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 4564

                    I already have 2 lowers with RRA parts kits installed and the ability to switch between uppers is a definate plus. So if I get the RRA 9mm upper I can use it with a single/two stage hammer?

                    If I have to buy a seperate hammer I will but flexibility is always a plus. Although I don't know how many 5.56 rifles I need.

                    What is so great about UZI mags?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      technique
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 10639

                      Originally posted by tyrist
                      I already have 2 lowers with RRA parts kits installed and the ability to switch between uppers is a definate plus. So if I get the RRA 9mm upper I can use it with a single/two stage hammer?

                      If I have to buy a seperate hammer I will but flexibility is always a plus. Although I don't know how many 5.56 rifles I need.

                      What is so great about UZI mags?
                      Thats what the ramped 9mm bolt is for, so you don't have to worry about changing out the hammer.
                      California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                      Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                      I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        tyrist
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 4564

                        So a rock river 9mm upper with a ramped bolt and I can use it on both my lowers?

                        What magazines does it use?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          technique
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 10639

                          You pick a mag block that in most cases, excepts Uzi mags
                          California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                          Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                          I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            technique
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 10639



                            Kits look like this



                            Ramped bolt looks like this.
                            California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                            Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                            I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              technique
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 10639

                              end up like this

                              California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                              Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                              I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1