Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR15 modularity question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Monticore
    Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 490

    AR15 modularity question

    Is there a chart that you guys have seen that would list out the different combinations of parts that could be swapped out to change my soon-to-be AR15 into the othyer caliber variants?

    Example:
    My completed lower is mated to my soon-to-be Stag 2HT upper. 5.56.

    To convert to 7.62(x39?) I swap out my upper for the appropriate caliber and also the magazine?

    My wife hasn't been super thrilled with the idea of starting this new hobby and in an attempt to darw her in a little I mentioned the DoubleStar group buy and that she could get her own AR going. She said that she might think about getting a .22.

    If I remember other threads correctly a AR in .22 is a different animal, not something I can just grab an upper and a magazine and have at it.

    I love how modular the AR's are, but what are the limits with an AR15 lower as the starting point?
    Originally posted by N6ATF
    "The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"
  • #2
    BP88
    Banned
    • Apr 2008
    • 1730

    Actually, there is a Ceiner kit that is pretty much a drop-in for 5.56 upper receivers. I think it's just the BCG and magazine that has to be changed in order to fire .22lr. Don't quote me, though, I know very little about conversions.
    Last edited by BP88; 09-10-2008, 3:22 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      aplinker
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2007
      • 16762

      Originally posted by Monticore
      Is there a chart that you guys have seen that would list out the different combinations of parts that could be swapped out to change my soon-to-be AR15 into the othyer caliber variants?

      Example:
      My completed lower is mated to my soon-to-be Stag 2HT upper. 5.56.

      To convert to 7.62(x39?) I swap out my upper for the appropriate caliber and also the magazine?

      My wife hasn't been super thrilled with the idea of starting this new hobby and in an attempt to darw her in a little I mentioned the DoubleStar group buy and that she could get her own AR going. She said that she might think about getting a .22.

      If I remember other threads correctly a AR in .22 is a different animal, not something I can just grab an upper and a magazine and have at it.

      I love how modular the AR's are, but what are the limits with an AR15 lower as the starting point?


      .22 is as simple as the others or even as easy as a Ceiner kit in a 5.56.

      Google Map of OLL Dealers

      List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
      Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
      This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

      Comment

      • #4
        Monticore
        Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 490

        uclaplinker,
        I can't believe I missed that thread. Thank you for the link.

        With all the calibers you mentioned it the other post, is there a point at which to be concerned with using a different magazine?
        The .22 kit will come with its own, but lets say I wanted a beefier, yet hopefully still affordable round like the 7.62x39? I would expect that the casing size would be the same, so I would assume I would use the same mag.
        Just want to have my facts straight.



        Kind of an off-shoot question to all of this:
        Between 5.56 and 7.62x39, is there really as big of an accuracy difference as I'm led to believe by some of the threads on here? Is the 7.62x39 so big that wind will affect it more? Plus gravity? I would think that accuracy is 99% dependent on the users ability.

        This comes up because I hear the arguement made that if you want accuracy go with AR, and not AK. I believe the AK they are referring to is the 7.62x51, so is that round inherently less stable?

        I'm trying to make it a red apple versus green apple comparison.
        Is it too far apart and it's an apples to oranges comparison?
        Originally posted by N6ATF
        "The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1