Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Recoil Buffer Stop Pin Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PLINK
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 1773

    AR Recoil Buffer Stop Pin Question

    I want to know if this is normal.

    I took my AR out to the local range today. I am now looking over the parts checking for abnormal issues or wear. Being an AR noob I am just looking for obvious abnormalities because I really don't know what I should be looking for. Anyway, I was looking at the recoil buffer stop pin and the pin no longer appears round like it once was. I figured that the finish would be somewhat gone but the pin looks like someone took pliers to it making it no smooth. I know for a fact it was not like this from the beginning. I was looking to see if I tightened the stock to tight. I have a RRA 6 position stock. I loosened it one turn and it barely held the pin in. So I put it back where it was. The pin does move freely up and down with the stock in this location.

    Is the Recoil Buffer stop pin suppose to be like this?

    Does the CAR stock take a different buffer stop pin?

    TIA

    Off this top but still AR related.

    I have learned something from my first AR.

    These rifles do not stay pretty and scratch free long.

    Removable front and rear sights will loosen up during a shooting session. They will need to be more than finger tight.

    The Vulcan can be an OK lower and work fine. The magazine is still questionable (the follower moves front to back) but seems to work OK.

    The CAR stock and removable sights (especially the front) will NOT be on my next AR.
  • #2
    phish
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 3089

    The pin you're talking about takes a pretty good beating. The buffer whacks on it pretty good. As long as the pin still retains the buffer with the upper removed, you should be golden.

    Comment

    • #3
      blkA4alb
      Moderator Emeritus
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2006
      • 3576

      Regarding the removable sights you need to tighten them down with a big screw driver that fits well in the slot. I made the mistake of not tightening down my YHM rear sight and as I was leaving the range for the first time with it I realized I should've as it had loosened.

      A quick turn with the screwdriver worked fine. Don't count the removable sights out yet . Which sights do you have?

      Make sure that your buffer tube covers the buffer retainer well and not just barely or you could have a nasty problem the next time you cycle it. Remember these are tools, after you get that first scratch the rest are less painful. They're just beauty marks.
      Please, calm down.

      Comment

      • #4
        sheriff
        Junior Member
        • May 2006
        • 10

        to hide scratches i use a magic marker...Ivan

        Comment

        • #5
          PLINK
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 1773

          Originally posted by blkA4alb
          Regarding the removable sights you need to tighten them down with a big screw driver that fits well in the slot. I made the mistake of not tightening down my YHM rear sight and as I was leaving the range for the first time with it I realized I should've as it had loosened.

          A quick turn with the screwdriver worked fine. Don't count the removable sights out yet . Which sights do you have?

          Make sure that your buffer tube covers the buffer retainer well and not just barely or you could have a nasty problem the next time you cycle it. Remember these are tools, after you get that first scratch the rest are less painful. They're just beauty marks.
          Thanks to all that replied.

          Sounds like I should get another buffer pin to keep as a spare.

          Roger that on the screw driver.

          The front sight is a YHM fold down for a gas block. The rear sight is a DPMS. The one that looks like the carry handle was cut off.

          Yeah I am not too worried about scratches. My brother who was a Marine assures me that they look great when they get older. He said some of the Spec Ops guys would spray paint them if they get too shiney.

          Comment

          • #6
            blkA4alb
            Moderator Emeritus
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2006
            • 3576

            Originally posted by PLINK
            Thanks to all that replied.

            Sounds like I should get another buffer pin to keep as a spare.

            Roger that on the screw driver.

            The front sight is a YHM fold down for a gas block. The rear sight is a DPMS. The one that looks like the carry handle was cut off.

            Yeah I am not too worried about scratches. My brother who was a Marine assures me that they look great when they get older. He said some of the Spec Ops guys would spray paint them if they get too shiney.
            I keep a little plastic divider box that goes to the range with me that has spare springs and various detents. It's always good to have a field repair kit.

            I have the same front sight and I have no problem with it, what don't you like about it? I really like the YHM rear sight plus they match . If you don't have it already you should really get the aluminum front sight adjustment tool. I ordered it the same day I tried to adjust the elevation with a bullet tip and my fingernail. Never again...
            Please, calm down.

            Comment

            • #7
              PLINK
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 1773

              Originally posted by blkA4alb
              I keep a little plastic divider box that goes to the range with me that has spare springs and various detents. It's always good to have a field repair kit.

              I have the same front sight and I have no problem with it, what don't you like about it? I really like the YHM rear sight plus they match . If you don't have it already you should really get the aluminum front sight adjustment tool. I ordered it the same day I tried to adjust the elevation with a bullet tip and my fingernail. Never again...
              I don't particularly not like the front. I do like how it looks and functions. I acquired this M1S upper in a trade. I personally would not have chose the weaver gas block to begin with. I think next AR upper will just have the standard A2 sight. I hear ya on the adjustment tool. I ended up using a nail I found at the range and my fingernail. I tried the bullet method and it did not work well for me.

              I just think my next build will be mostly A2 with a M4 barrel. The less removable parts the better. I am not really into optics so that will be perfect for me.

              Comment

              • #8
                James R.
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 774

                Yeah that little buffer retaining pin looks like a real piece of **** solution to me. I mean I know there are 100's of thousands if not millions of AR's and M16's out there, but this pin looks like a possible weak link in the design.

                I haven't finished building my AR but from the looks of things that buffer retaining pin takes a whack from the buffer every single time the rifle cycles right?

                Regards,

                James R.

                Comment

                • #9
                  NorCal MedTac
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 599

                  Is it possible for someone to take a good picture of how the pin looks with the buffer up against it. This is the one spot that I too am worried about as I am a week away from finishing my builds.
                  http://www.norcalmedtac.com
                  Providing CPR and First Aid training, to small groups and individuals; NRA classes; Defensive Medicine, Defensive Pistol, Defensive Carbine, and Defensive Shotgun classes.


                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    blkA4alb
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3576

                    Originally posted by furryrabbit
                    Is it possible for someone to take a good picture of how the pin looks with the buffer up against it. This is the one spot that I too am worried about as I am a week away from finishing my builds.
                    You should not be worrying about this. I have not heard of any broken buffer retainers. They are standard LPKs and all the retainers are the same on all these ARs. If these were constantly breaking something would have changed by now .
                    Please, calm down.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      James R.
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 774

                      Originally posted by blkA4alb
                      You should not be worrying about this. I have not heard of any broken buffer retainers. They are standard LPKs and all the retainers are the same on all these ARs. If these were constantly breaking something would have changed by now .
                      This is true, maybe when the upper is in place the buffer doesn't come to rest on the retaining pin?

                      Regards,

                      James R.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rkt88edmo
                        Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 10062

                        Originally posted by blkA4alb
                        You should not be worrying about this. I have not heard of any broken buffer retainers. They are standard LPKs and all the retainers are the same on all these ARs. If these were constantly breaking something would have changed by now .
                        Add caveat - As long as your lower, buffer tube, carrier, bolt, and everything else that is in-line there is manufactured and installed within spec.

                        It isn't very hard to get it right, but many people don't.
                        If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                        Use the goog to search calguns

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1