Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question on Featureless build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheComebacKid
    Member
    • Mar 2014
    • 348

    Question on Featureless build

    I have a question about setting up my AK a certain way, but could not find any info from previous threads. I want to build a featureless AK build so I can use my 30 round mags, but I do not want to have a stock, or rather have an underfolder with the stock pinned in the "folded" position, like so. I do not want an AK pistol since I would still need a bb and couldn't use more then 10 rounds. If a Featureless build requires having a fixed stock, could I have a hammerhead grip on my AK, with the underfolder pinned in the folded position? Or could I have no stock at all? Is a fixed stock required to have a featureless build?
  • #2
    Chaos47
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 6615

    Penal Code 12276.1. (Now 30515)
    (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276 (30515), "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    As you can see above laws do not tell you what you can have but rather what you can not have (ie what is illegal).
    So no CA AW PC does not say you have to have a fixed stock.
    Instead it says you can not have a thumbhole stock or a folding or telescoping stock.
    See the difference?

    If your rifle have a folding stock then yes it must be fixed either open or closed if you want it to be a legally configured featureless, semiautomatic centerfire rifle in CA.
    If it's closed remember that a semiautomatic centerfire rifle in CA must also be over 30" Over All Length OAL to not be an "Assault Weapon". Most of the time an AK folded will be under the 30" OAL so you will have to look into extended muzzle brakes if you go the closed route.

    A more viable option for an AK's non-pistol grip is a monsterman or a grip wrap. Since the hammerhead is designed for AR's and would require the use of the ACE adapter.. although it would still work.

    I'll leave the no stock at all question to someone else..

    Check my signature for a link to my featureless guide which might help you with your build
    Last edited by Chaos47; 05-05-2014, 2:34 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      madbeans88
      Senior Member
      • May 2013
      • 659

      I thought 10 rounds magazines were the limit here in CA. Did you mean 10/30 magazines?

      Comment

      • #4
        SJgunguy24
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2008
        • 14849

        Originally posted by madbeans88
        I thought 10 rounds magazines were the limit here in CA. Did you mean 10/30 magazines?
        Legally owned high caps are gtg on registered AW's and featureless rifles.

        To the OP, you do realize that the overall length if an AK without a buttstock is only 25.5" ?
        You'll need almost 5" of muzzle device to get past the minimum. I'm trying to picture what your going for and I can't see any way to effectivly shoot the gun described with any accuracy.
        Without a pistol grip, your going to want a stock to steady your gun. If you plan to go homeboy style and just hold it out there with a hammer head grip, I can picture it flying out of your hands.
        There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
        The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
        The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
        The others, well......they just never learn.

        "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
        Patrick Henry.

        Comment

        • #5
          Chaos47
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2010
          • 6615

          Originally posted by madbeans88
          I thought 10 rounds magazines were the limit here in CA. Did you mean 10/30 magazines?
          Sorry, you are misinformed.
          The acquiring over 10 round magazine law is a separate law then the AW.

          Featureless, RAW's, Rimfire and Pistols can use magazines over 10 rounds and not be AW's by definition under the AW.

          Where as fixed magazine semiautomatic centerfire rifles in CA are limited to 10 rounds in the AW.

          But like I said first the law that governs acquiring of those said magazines is a separate issue.


          Please see this sticky:


          And this active thread on the issue:

          Comment

          • #6
            madbeans88
            Senior Member
            • May 2013
            • 659

            Originally posted by Chaos47
            Sorry, you are misinformed.
            The acquiring over 10 round magazine law is a separate law then the AW.

            Featureless, RAW's, Rimfire and Pistols can use magazines over 10 rounds and not be AW's by definition under the AW.

            Where as fixed magazine semiautomatic centerfire rifles in CA are limited to 10 rounds in the AW.

            But like I said first the law that governs acquiring of those said magazines is a separate issue.


            Please see this sticky:


            And this active thread on the issue:
            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=921402
            Thanks for the info, just found a thread on this topic alone.

            Comment

            • #7
              Chaos47
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2010
              • 6615

              Originally posted by SJgunguy24
              Legally owned high caps are gtg on registered AW's and featureless rifles.

              To the OP, you do realize that the overall length if an AK without a buttstock is only 25.5" ?
              You'll need almost 5" of muzzle device to get past the minimum. I'm trying to picture what your going for and I can't see any way to effectivly shoot the gun described with any accuracy.
              Without a pistol grip, your going to want a stock to steady your gun. If you plan to go homeboy style and just hold it out there with a hammer head grip, I can picture it flying out of your hands.
              Thats where these big boys come into play

              But I have no idea if AIMSMALL is still making them

              Photo credit AIMSMALL


              Photo credit Mamluke

              Comment

              • #8
                71kcfdcapt
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 62

                Custom made wood MM style grip. Works well and comfortable. BB on an AK is a pain.


                Comment

                • #9
                  REDdawn6
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 2447

                  Try US Machine.Com and there are some vendors and members also on AKFILES.COM who make longer Mb. You could do a search for extended muzzle break, Compensator or even a fake can.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SJgunguy24
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2008
                    • 14849

                    Originally posted by Chaos47
                    Thats where these big boys come into play

                    But I have no idea if AIMSMALL is still making them
                    No idea if he's still selling them either, I bought one from him about 3-4 years ago.

                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                    The others, well......they just never learn.

                    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                    Patrick Henry.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mr762
                      Junior Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 23

                      US Machinegun.com: Providing gun parts for AK-47 PARTS,AR-15 ACCESSORIES,BRASS CATCHERS,DESERT EAGLE EXTRAS,FAKE SUPPRESSORS,GENTLY USED PARTS,GLOCK EXTRAS & PARTS,GRIPS,GUN CASES AND SLINGS,GUNS FOR SALE,M-11 & M12 SEMI AUTO PARTS,M-11 SMG REPLACEMENT PARTS,M-11 SMG UPGRADES,M-12 & M-11 .380 PARTS,MAC TOOLS,MAC-10 SEMI AUTO PARTS,MAC-10 SMG REPLACEMENT PARTS,MAC-10 SMG UPGRADES,MAGAZINE POUCHES & BELTS,MAGAZINES AND DRUMS,MANUALS & BOOKS REAR STOCKS,SCOPES & LASERS,SHOTGUN UPGRADES,SIG SAUER EXTRAS,SPEED LOADERS,SUPPRESSORS,THREAD ADAPTERS,THREAD PROTECTORS,UZI PARTS,WALTHER COMPONENTS




                      Comment

                      • #12
                      • #13
                        liberallyloaded
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 1027

                        Originally posted by 71kcfdcapt
                        Custom made wood MM style grip. Works well and comfortable. BB on an AK is a pain.


                        Umm... Where/how much/when?! Want!
                        sigpic

                        "I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          morthrane
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 954

                          Originally posted by TheComebacKid
                          I have a question about setting up my AK a certain way, but could not find any info from previous threads. I want to build a featureless AK build so I can use my 30 round mags, but I do not want to have a stock, or rather have an underfolder with the stock pinned in the "folded" position, like so.
                          I posted a similar question a couple years back, nothing. Haven't found a lawyer who could answer the question either.

                          (as always, IANAL and take this with a grain of salt) having the stock folded and pinned into place still means it is a FOLDING stock. Some douchebag DA could probably use that to hang you in court because they don't care if its FOLDING or FOLDED, or even that its fixed in the closed position.

                          With the UF stock pinned in the open position, it isn't a folding/folded stock.

                          Originally posted by TheComebacKid
                          If a Featureless build requires having a fixed stock, could I have a hammerhead grip on my AK, with the underfolder pinned in the folded position?
                          I thought about using a hammerhead grip on the underfolder but it was very awkward, and the hammerhead ends up below the plane of the top of the trigger. It also becomes next to impossible to use if the stock is fully extended.

                          Ended up using a solar tactical gripwrap, but I had to specify one specifically for the UF so the wrap reached high enough to meet the top plane of the trigger.

                          Originally posted by TheComebacKid
                          Or could I have no stock at all? Is a fixed stock required to have a featureless build?
                          You're now wandering into Title 1 Other territory... which is its own can of worms x100000000. There's all kind of legal concerns, fog of legal BS, and an open warning from the CG guys that they won't help out anyone caught in a legal *****fest with one.

                          Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                          To the OP, you do realize that the overall length if an AK without a buttstock is only 25.5" ?
                          You'll need almost 5" of muzzle device to get past the minimum.
                          You need a muzzle device around 5.5" long because of the threading overlap. Even then, its barely 30" OAL.

                          Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                          I'm trying to picture what your going for and I can't see any way to effectivly shoot the gun described with any accuracy.
                          Without a pistol grip, your going to want a stock to steady your gun. If you plan to go homeboy style and just hold it out there with a hammer head grip, I can picture it flying out of your hands.
                          Sling. With a sling on a folded up UF, I can hit a basic man-sized steel at 100yd without too much effort. Could probably do the same with a hammerhead: forefinger on trigger, thumb up on the back of the receiver, three fingers curled under.

                          Without a sling, a water gun is probably more accurate.

                          Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                          No idea if he's still selling them either, I bought one from him about 3-4 years ago.
                          Asked a couple years back, no go. Too busy building AR related stuff.

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            Click Boom
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 6955

                            Nothin wrong with kydex wrap.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1