Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger mini-14 question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • modenar1
    Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 316

    Ruger mini-14 question.

    Im thinking of getting a Mini-14. Im looking at the NRA edition with the short 16" barrel, or the regular 18" ranch model. whichever one i get, i will eventually be cutting down the barrel and putting a fixed muzzle device to make a total length of 16". my question is. does the NRA edition have a heavier barrel than the regular ranch models. i ask this because i heard that the new mini-14s have a heavier barrel than the older ones, but im wondering if the NRA edition has an even heavier barrel than the new models. if anyone can help me out. i would appreciate it.
  • #2
    g17owner
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 881

    You dont really need to cut down the NRA model because the barrel is already handy and short. I dont know if the NRA version is heavier than the current mini's but the current ones are heavier barreled than the old ones for sure. Either way the accuracy has been improved.

    Comment

    • #3
      Oswald2001
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1194

      The best Mini-14/30 resource in the world.

      "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

      Comment

      • #4
        Go Navy
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 2190

        Originally posted by modenar1
        Im thinking of getting a Mini-14. Im looking at the NRA edition with the short 16" barrel, or the regular 18" ranch model. whichever one i get, i will eventually be cutting down the barrel and putting a fixed muzzle device to make a total length of 16". my question is. does the NRA edition have a heavier barrel than the regular ranch models. i ask this because i heard that the new mini-14s have a heavier barrel than the older ones, but im wondering if the NRA edition has an even heavier barrel than the new models. if anyone can help me out. i would appreciate it.
        Ruger has quietly changed the barrel contour on the standard Mini-14 Ranch Rifle this year. It is a barrel with a larger diameter, and I'm NOT talking about the target version. This new standard barrel is going to be more accurate than the previous standard Mini-14, and I'm NOT talking about the target version!

        I'm waiting for one as we speak. I told my dealer I'll buy it if he can get it. Trouble is, my dealer is having trouble getting his hands on one as no one seems to know where the serial numbers begin on the new barrel models. Supposedly his distributor has even called the factory for serial numbers and they have not enlightened him. I therefor think Ruger is trying to make sure existing inventories of the slimmer barrels clear through the market first.

        My advice is to not get the NRA short barrel. You won't get the most out of the .223 round with that barrel, although I'm sure many will pile on after the whistle with that comment. The NRA edition does have the new barrel on it, which has a larger external diameter, and I'm NOT talking about the target version!

        Hope this is helpful.
        USN Veteran, Gun Owners of Calif. Member, NRA Life Member

        You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)

        Comment

        • #5
          jksupplyco
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 1623

          Originally posted by Go Navy

          I'm waiting for one as we speak. I told my dealer I'll buy it if he can get it. Trouble is, my dealer is having trouble getting his hands on one as no one seems to know where the serial numbers begin on the new barrel models. Supposedly his distributor has even called the factory for serial numbers and they have not enlightened him. I therefor think Ruger is trying to make sure existing inventories of the slimmer barrels clear through the market first.


          Go Navy,

          Shoot me an email at jksupplyco@yahoo.com, I can help you out tomorrow when I'm in the shop..

          Comment

          • #6
            Gnome
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2007
            • 1693

            I was lucky enough to pick one up at the begining of the year at ProForce (LE Only). I'm a little embarassed to admit that I didn't even know about the new barrel design until it was in my hands.

            I was just going to get the ol' skinny barrel and cryo, Accu-strut/Har-Bar, and bed it. Don't need to do all of that now. I'm still gonna send it to Great West Gunsmith. It should cost a little over $200.

            I still have yet to fire shoot it. A combination of work, and didn't know if I should shoot it, or wait until I got it back from Great West. I'll be mounting a Burris Fulfield II 3-9x40 on it.

            Originally posted by E Pluribus Unum
            During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

            He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

            Comment

            • #7
              glockman19
              Banned
              • Jun 2007
              • 10486

              In 2006 Ruger Re-tooled it's production line. At that time they began with serial numbers 580. All 580 mini-14's have the heavier barrel and have much better accuracy than earlier models.

              Comment

              • #8
                gunrun45
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2006
                • 2018

                Originally posted by glockman19
                In 2006 Ruger Re-tooled it's production line. At that time they began with serial numbers 580. All 580 mini-14's have the heavier barrel and have much better accuracy than earlier models.
                Actually, they changed the profile again after the 580 series started. The 580 series started after Ruger re-did tooling. The 580 series had a tighter chamber and slightly thicker barrel but there is a marked difference between the 580 and 581 series barrel thickness. The 581 series also re-started the mini-30 series after a year absence.
                There was also a LE stamped GB series update in the 580 series that is pretty neat. These are available to non-LE folks also via most dealers sans the 20 round standard mags. I had a REALLY nice first run 580 series 16 in barrel model in stainless...
                Murphy's Law - What can happen will happen at the least opportune moment

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1