Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Selling Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DoctorExplosivo
    Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 156

    Selling Question

    So if my brother's friend bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to my brother. However, he bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. Could my brother sell it or trade it in a gun shop or does he have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? He wants to trade it in for a handgun purchase
    Last edited by DoctorExplosivo; 07-25-2008, 8:17 PM.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!
  • #2
    aplinker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2007
    • 16762

    Long guns are not registered in CA, however transfers not between up/down lineage in a family (parent/child, grandparent/grandchild) are required to be conducted at a FFL.

    The transfer should have been done that way. I don't think there's a remedy for your brother at this point, as possession isn't the illegal act and there's no need to register a long gun.

    Generally it's better, to CYA, to ask in the hypothetical.
    Last edited by aplinker; 07-24-2008, 4:24 PM. Reason: no reason ;)

    Google Map of OLL Dealers

    List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
    Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
    This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

    Comment

    • #3
      Casual Observer
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 1400

      Originally posted by uclaplinker
      Generally it's better, to CYA, to ask in the hypothetical.
      Originally posted by DoctorExplosivo
      So *IF* my brother bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to me. However, he *MIGHT HAVE* bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. *HYPOTHETICALLY* could I sell it or trade it in a gun shop or do I have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? Could I just tell them I bought it?

      fixed
      Last edited by Casual Observer; 07-24-2008, 4:12 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        aplinker
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2007
        • 16762

        Originally posted by DoctorExplosivo
        So my brother's friend bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to my brother. However, he bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. Could my brother sell it or trade it in a gun shop or does he have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? He wants to trade it in for a handgun purchase
        There's no paperwork associated with it. The only thing the seller will be asked for is ID, some residency questions, and if they're the owner of the firearm.

        Google Map of OLL Dealers

        List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
        Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
        This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

        Comment

        • #5
          DoctorExplosivo
          Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 156

          haha thanks people
          GO BIG OR GO HOME!

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1