Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kel-Tec RDB

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Quiet
    retired Goon
    • Mar 2007
    • 30242

    Kel-Tec RDB

    Since the cat is out of the bag now...


    Back in October 2013, I was talking with Oleg Volk at Skydogcon and he mentioned how he got hands on & took photos of a new Kel-Tec bullpup rifle in 5.56x45mm that was going to be unveiled at the 2014 SHOW Show.

    Since photos are now being leaked on the interwebz, here's what I know...
    *The Kel-Tec RDB is a "new" design that is not based on the Kel-Tec RFB. It's an off-shoot of the "mini" RFB project.
    *It will be initially chambered in 5.56x45mm/.223 and will use STANAG magazines.
    *Future caliber options include 6.5x39mm Grendel, 6.8x43mm SPC2, .300Blackout and 7.62x39mm.
    *Is suppose to be available in Q4 2014.
    *Unknown MSRP.
    Last edited by Quiet; 01-01-2014, 9:11 AM.
    sigpic

    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    LOL, does it really matter when we know keltec isn't going to get these out the door till maybe 2015? Late 2014... 2016 and they'll have 5 out the door.
    Last edited by Merc1138; 01-01-2014, 9:12 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Quiet
      retired Goon
      • Mar 2007
      • 30242

      Originally posted by Merc1138
      LOL, does it really matter when we know keltec isn't going to get these out the door till maybe 2015? Late 2014... 2016 and they'll have 5 out the door.
      Rumor on the slow production is due to an internal matter with top management that deals with ownership/budget (owner getting divorce, property/money issues), expanding their production capabilities and hiring/training new employees to be competent on making their products.
      sigpic

      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

      Comment

      • #4
        Oleg Volk
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 29

        The reality has nothing to do with some imaginary divorces and much to do with ramp-up time needed for radically new designs, and also the care with which capital investments are allocated during times of legislative uncertainty.

        RDB is very accurate and has almost no felt recoil. It's slightly muzzle heavy, which is annoying in handling but very helpful during rapid fire. The trigger is excellent, too.

        Comment

        • #5
          Quiet
          retired Goon
          • Mar 2007
          • 30242

          Originally posted by Oleg Volk
          The reality has nothing to do with some imaginary divorces and much to do with ramp-up time needed for radically new designs, and also the care with which capital investments are allocated during times of legislative uncertainty.

          RDB is very accurate and has almost no felt recoil. It's slightly muzzle heavy, which is annoying in handling but very helpful during rapid fire. The trigger is excellent, too.
          Thanks for the clarification and rumor control.
          sigpic

          "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

          Comment

          • #6
            opie4386
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 1336

            I like it.

            Price range?

            Comment

            • #7
              Howitzer1987
              Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 166

              Looks like a knockoff of the British L85a2 service rifle...I always wanted one

              Comment

              • #8
                infringed711
                Banned
                • Jun 2012
                • 2805

                Lol I'm still looking for a RFB

                Comment

                • #9
                  PolishMike
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 6034

                  When did they hire the Hi-point designer?
                  I can't take anything from then seriously. Clumsy, cheap, and poorly designed are the only things that come to mind when I see their stuff.
                  Artist formally known as CEO of Tracy Rifle and Pistol

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    -hanko
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 14174

                    Originally posted by Oleg Volk
                    The reality has nothing to do with some imaginary divorces and much to do with ramp-up time needed for radically new designs, and also the care with which capital investments are allocated during times of legislative uncertainty.
                    Not to mention KT's historical inability to increase production at any time in their past.
                    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dwtt
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7470

                      Originally posted by Quiet
                      here's what I know...
                      *The Kel-Tec RDB is a "new" design that is not based on the Kel-Tec RFB. It's an off-shoot of the "mini" RFB project.
                      *It will be initially chambered in 5.56x45mm/.223 and will use STANAG magazines.
                      *Future caliber options include 6.5x39mm Grendel, 6.8x43mm SPC2, .300Blackout and 7.62x39mm.
                      *Is suppose to be available in Q4 2014.
                      *Unknown MSRP.
                      Sure, I'll wait until then.
                      From what I've seen with the RFB and PMR-30, this rifle won't be available until maybe late 2015, and only in small quantities. 2016 is the latest I would say anyone can expect to see one of these rifles in a store. It's good vaporware for stimulating the imagination, though.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ArmyMedicMoose
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 1297

                        6.5 grendel hmm
                        NRA member
                        S&W M&P Armorer
                        Glock Armorer
                        CPR instructor
                        EMT-P

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MrPlink
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 12532

                          Looks like a Keltec-ified EM2 kinda
                          The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

                          disclaimer:
                          everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            atolax25
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 768

                            Originally posted by MrPlink
                            Looks like a Keltec-ified EM2 kinda
                            That's what I thought too. Personally, it's not to my taste visually. I think I'll pass.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              fmunk
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 3896

                              Interesting, but judging by their track record with the RFB and pretty much everything they've made so far...

                              1. Will it work consistently from rifle to rifle?
                              2. Will they actually answer emails and calls to address problems?

                              Until I get overwhelmingly "yes and yes", I'm staying away.


                              FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1