Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bolt (Lock Open)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • One Shot, One Dropped
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 1134

    Bolt (Lock Open)

    I have searched, but I can't find a solution to a what seems like a simple problem I have.

    One of my ARs will not lock the bolt open/back after the last shot.

    I have tried:
    thorough cleaning
    different magazines
    different ammo

    It will lock back if I leave a magazine in and pull the latch back.

    Otherwise, it cycles just fine.

    It has about 200+ rounds through it.

    By the way, it is a bushmaster upper on a High Standard lower with a RRA Standard Lower Parts Kit (I don't think any other information is necessary).

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by ViPER395
    Give me a a case of .223 and immunity and i'll solve the gang problem from that News10 weather tower crap.
    -talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed
  • #2
    Dirtbiker
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 2810

    Short stroking

    Check to see if the gas rings on the bolt are lined up. They should not be.

    Try a different brand of magazine follower.

    Heavy bolt, buffer, too stiff buffer spring?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

    Thomas Jefferson

    Comment

    • #3
      Linus
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 1290

      +1 on the heavy buffer spring.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        One Shot, One Dropped
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 1134

        I tried the different follower, and it didn't work out. I'll try checking the gas rings , and, hopefully that will work out.

        I'll probably have to do that later because my brother is taking a little nap (he needs to grow up), and I don't want to startle the crap out of him.
        Originally posted by ViPER395
        Give me a a case of .223 and immunity and i'll solve the gang problem from that News10 weather tower crap.
        -talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed

        Comment

        • #5
          Beelzy
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2008
          • 9225

          I agree with the buffer spring suggestion.
          "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

          Comment

          • #6
            One Shot, One Dropped
            Senior Member
            • May 2008
            • 1134

            What would I do, though? Would I just replace it with a lighter spring?

            Funny thing is, I didn't assemble the gun, I bought all the parts and had it assembled by a dealer so that, once the 10 days were up, I could shoot within minutes.

            If it's a bad spring, I will just take it back to them.
            Originally posted by ViPER395
            Give me a a case of .223 and immunity and i'll solve the gang problem from that News10 weather tower crap.
            -talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed

            Comment

            • #7
              50BMGBOB
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 1738

              My first OLL did this. I checked the buffer spring but that didn't help. I got a friends upper and it worked fine with my lower started swapping parts and it finally narrowed it down to the bolt carrier. Got it fixed now. Funny thing, that was my Armalite AR15T upper. If you have another AR you could swap parts to narrow it down.
              sigpic50BMGBOB aka 50BMGLAZARUS aka 50BMGZOMBIEBOB aka the UN- DEAD!

              Comment

              • #8
                bigthaiboy
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 4795

                Originally posted by 50BMGBOB
                My first OLL did this. I checked the buffer spring but that didn't help. I got a friends upper and it worked fine with my lower started swapping parts and it finally narrowed it down to the bolt carrier. Got it fixed now. Funny thing, that was my Armalite AR15T upper. If you have another AR you could swap parts to narrow it down.

                Just curious. What was the problem with the bolt carrier, and how was it repaired?

                Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigdave1121
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 1861

                  Maybe technique should chime in here. Afterall, the rifle was assembled at his store
                  http://www.varminthuntersnorthwest.com/

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    randy
                    In Memoriam
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4642

                    More oil? Get it good and wet. Shoot some xm193 and see if it locks open. More oil in the bolt not just the carrier.
                    I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                    When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      THE 0NE
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 590

                      bring it in i will fix it its no problem..... did it lock back in the first place or did it just start after awhile?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MFortie
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 1143

                        Mine did the same thing after I assembled it. Turns out the bolt catch wasn't moving freely -- I did a little judicious stoning on the bolt catch to relieve the binding to get it functioning (somewhat) for a class.

                        After I replaced the catch with an ambi catch, it works just fine. So my assumption is an out of spec bolt catch.

                        Also, pulling the trigger on a cocked lower without the upper can hammer the channel where the bolt catch rides and cause binding (not to mention eventually crack the lower.)
                        "The lunatic is in the hall.
                        The lunatics are in my hall.
                        The paper holds their folded faces to the floor,
                        And every day the paper boy brings more."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bigdave1121
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 1861

                          Originally posted by THE 0NE
                          bring it in i will fix it its no problem.....
                          That's what I told him to do
                          http://www.varminthuntersnorthwest.com/

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            technique
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 10639

                            Quick fix, not a problem.
                            California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                            Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                            I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              One Shot, One Dropped
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 1134

                              Originally posted by THE 0NE
                              bring it in i will fix it its no problem..... did it lock back in the first place or did it just start after awhile?
                              I don't remember it ever locking back. I'll bring it in. The only reason I resisted is that it's a mad detour to come down there (I don't even get on the freeway when I go to the range, when I decide not to shoot at the house that is), and I always have trouble coming to see you guys and not leaving with another gun DROSed. Well, maybe I'll just have to do that.
                              Originally posted by ViPER395
                              Give me a a case of .223 and immunity and i'll solve the gang problem from that News10 weather tower crap.
                              -talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1