Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK ammo help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 2nd Mass
    Veteran Member
    • May 2013
    • 3212

    AK ammo help

    Anyone know how to tell if ammo is steal or lead online? I know typically herters and tula are bi-metal so no go in socal. Several other brands aren't very clear though. Such as http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...l-metal-jacket. The casing is brass coated but, it doesn't say anything about the bullet.

    Anyone know where to get non-magnetic 7.62x39 or what brands to look for?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by 2nd Mass; 10-16-2013, 9:35 PM.
  • #2
    airk
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 106

    I was looking for the same thing but what I found is the Fiocchi, PMC and Arsenal are all brass and non magnetic. GTG

    Comment

    • #3
      infringed711
      Banned
      • Jun 2012
      • 2805

      7.62x39

      Comment

      • #4
        amorcito
        Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 113

        just got to sgammo.com .. they are good people and ship the same day. You can find a good selection there. All that russian stuff is gonna be bi-metal. The brass stuff like the last poster above me stated PPU, Fiocchi, PMC, Arsenal are all brass cased with copper jackets. Also, if you're wanting to spend a about .53 per round, you can by Hornady SST. Very accurate ammo. It's steel cased, but with a full copper ballistic jacket. I bought a lot of steel ammo, and ended up selling it, and just keeping the Hornady and brass. Apparently, shooting steel jacketed ammo decreases the life of the barrel. I bought an arsenal, and spent a good amount of money on it. So i'll just stick to brass cased ammo. It's a bit more pricey, but lot of it is quality. I like PPU and Hornady personally. PPU is priced really good.

        Comment

        • #5
          2nd Mass
          Veteran Member
          • May 2013
          • 3212

          Thanks, checked out sgammo.com. Pricey but I guess that's the cost of non-magnetic. Thanks for the tips on brands too.

          Comment

          • #6
            Chameleon Loco
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 2187

            AK ammo help

            I went to a gun show and bought some golden bear ammo I knew it was magnetic but I shot it at my so cal range anyway. Here is how i do it. I get a plastic container ex. a small salsa container or any Tupperware container and take the golden bear ammo out of their boxes and dump them in. Then I put any brass cased ammo I can find semi cheap like fiocchi or yugo surplus on top so if the range master checks my ammo it will pass. I have only done this once because I can't find golden bear ammo locally but it worked fine and it was one the few times I was able to shoot my saiga for cheap.
            Last edited by Chameleon Loco; 10-16-2013, 9:46 PM.
            Want to Buy: Ruger PC9 Magazine Buttstock Pouch

            Comment

            • #7
              mod1217
              • Dec 2010
              • 385

              In regards to AK ammo the only cheap brands I know that are non-magnetic are the corrosive yugo and Pri Partizan Ammo, the rest are all magnetic
              App Mailed = 7/12/21
              Interview/Live Scan = 4/13/22
              CA/FBI = 4/13/22 Firearms = 7/26/22
              Proceed to Training = 8/7/22
              Training Sent = 8/29/22 Received = 9/1/22
              Email Add Document / Submitted = 9/30/22
              Call for pickup = 11/28/22
              Pick Up = 12/01/22

              Comment

              • #8
                m03
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 1911

                Originally posted by 2nd Mass
                Several other brands aren't very clear though. Such as http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...l-metal-jacket. The casing is brass coated but, it doesn't say anything about the bullet.
                AFAIK, Golden Bear is effectively the same as Brown Bear / Silver Bear, except with a different coating on the steel casing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hellayella
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 5578

                  non-mag: American Eagle, Yugo, Fiocci..unless u can get the Chinese yellow box

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    2nd Mass
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2013
                    • 3212

                    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fmunk
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 3896

                      Pretty much all Russian made 7.62x39 are magnetic, bi-metal jacketed. Wolf, Tula, any thing ending with "Bear", etc.


                      FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        chonkey
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 528

                        Yep, I looked into this recently too. No cheap way to shoot where it's restricted. If you can find surplus Yugo ammo it might be cheaper but it's corrosive. Wolf used to make copper jacketed lead core steel cased ammo but it's pretty much all dried up. Go to BLM land to shoot the cheap stuff. As another calgunner mentioned to me, keep your brass casings to sell.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          fmunk
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 3896

                          Much more enjoyable shooting on BLM land anyway.


                          FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            hellayella
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 5578

                            the Arsenal 7.62x39 from Bulgarian are range safe but not cheap

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              newguy83
                              Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 299

                              Originally posted by fmunk
                              Much more enjoyable shooting on BLM land anyway.
                              you cant shoot bimetal or steel case or anything else magnetic on blm lands.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1