Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

PTR-91 vs Springfield M1a

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ChrisBrooklyn
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1308

    PTR-91 vs Springfield M1a

    thoughts? i got a new gig recently which usually means a new rifle.. its down to these..

    i like the look and the cheap mags of the ptr..

    i like the no BB and classiness of the m1a

    obviously the PTR is cheaper but only a like $300 or so.. (its the green poly stock basic model m1a)

    any input is always appreciated...
  • #2
    Darklyte27
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 9372

    I was eying this m1a in 2008 before elections it was about 1400$ waiting for this new FFL to email their info to buds but by the time they did * a few weeks* it was 1550$ or so.



    I quit looking for one as they were never back in stock and recently DROS'ed a PTR91 Exclusive Model for 1199$. Plus the mags are 2-5$ each if you look hard enough.

    Last edited by Darklyte27; 09-25-2013, 6:31 PM.
    2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

    Chickens

    Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

    Comment

    • #3
      tacticalcity
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Aug 2006
      • 10929

      Bullet Button won't matter if SB-374 doesn't get vetoed by Brown. They all become assault rifles, and once an assault rifle the bullet button no longer helps. Spend some time in the 2A section reading and researching the bills on Browns desk.

      M1A is easier to mount a magnified scope on and use effectively. In order to accomodate the charging handle on the PTRs you need to mount the scope up really high. Doesn't matter what pictures you see online. Those guys with low mounted long magnified scopes on their PTRs have all lost a pound of flesh charging the rifles as the scraped against their scopes (know this one first hand).

      M1A will be inherently more accurate as well, unless you get some serious upgrades.

      The PTR is a 308 battle rifle in the ilk of the fal. Perfect for the open ranges of the African Sahara. It can be used as an urban precision rifle with easy...but not as effectively or as easily as the M1A.

      Don't get me wrong. I like them both. There are just some quirks to the PTR (G3 Clones) that people don't see coming if they've never owned one.

      Comment

      • #4
        andrewj
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 2589

        I don't own a PTR (I really want one though), but I do own an M1A and DSA FAL. I find the M1A to be a better choice in terms of accuracy and ease of use, the same should hold true for the M1A vs PTR.

        So with that said, despite the G3 being my favorite battle rifle, I think the M1A is the better choice.
        Dear California,
        I love you. I was born and raised in you. You have given me some of the best times of my life. Now with that said, I can not wait to move!
        Your prisoner,
        Andrew J.

        Comment

        • #5
          Hoop
          Ready fo HILLARY!!
          • Apr 2007
          • 11544

          Originally posted by ChrisBrooklyn
          thoughts? i got a new gig recently which usually means a new rifle.. its down to these..

          i like the look and the cheap mags of the ptr..

          i like the no BB and classiness of the m1a

          obviously the PTR is cheaper but only a like $300 or so.. (its the green poly stock basic model m1a)

          any input is always appreciated...
          The AR is better. It just is. Plus is SB 374 flies then bullet buttons don't matter.

          The cheap mags of the PTR are nice and the m1a has charm but neither will shoot as well as a good 308 AR.

          Between the 2...flip a coin. Whatever you like more is the right answer, there is no wrong one.

          Honestly, if I were buying with the idea that I'd have to reg it...308 AR no question about it. Spend the money get an LMT MWS or GAP 10 they are worth it.

          Comment

          • #6
            jasonnorcal
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 1297

            M1a is better even though I know nothing about the ptr....lol. M1a(m14) is a true battle rifle. 308 AR's are sweet, easy to mount an optic on and very accurate. In a teotwawki type situation I'd prefer the M14
            Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

            Originally posted by Chuntsman949
            does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

            Comment

            • #7
              Gutz
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Jan 2013
              • 4127

              PTR is the way to go...
              1A - 2A= -1A :(

              Comment

              • #8
                skyking13
                Banned
                • May 2011
                • 274


                Need I say more?

                Comment

                • #9
                  U5512
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 509

                  Originally posted by jasonnorcal
                  M1a is better even though I know nothing about the ptr....lol. M1a(m14) is a true battle rifle. 308 AR's are sweet, easy to mount an optic on and very accurate. In a teotwawki type situation I'd prefer the M14
                  HK G3 (PTR91) is definately a true battle rifle and has been issued to troops by militaries around the world.....do a search and see!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CWM4A1
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 1135

                    I used to own a Greek contract copy, Springfield SAR-8. Frankly, I wish I had known better.

                    While it's semi-auto, because of the roller block action, the recoil is NOT soft at all. I enjoy shooting my M1A while I still have it, enjoy shooting my friends L1A1 FAL before he moved to Arizona, and sold that SAR-8 after fire 40 rounds out of it.

                    If you want a nice shooting .308 semi-auto, get M1A loaded, or 308 AR platform, it's also easier to mount optic on either one compare to PTR91 as others has said already. If you want to have the retro battle rifle look, get a FAL copy. PTR-91 for me is a show piece instead of comfortable and practical rifle.
                    NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Darklyte27
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2008
                      • 9372

                      heck just get both!
                      2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                      Chickens

                      Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SOAR79
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 2944

                        Originally posted by skyking13

                        Need I say more?
                        wow

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jasonnorcal
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1297

                          Originally posted by U5512
                          HK G3 (PTR91) is definately a true battle rifle and has been issued to troops by militaries around the world.....do a search and see!
                          I meant compared to a 308 ar.
                          Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

                          Originally posted by Chuntsman949
                          does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            shoebox56
                            Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 368

                            OP, do you reload? I know some PTR-91 versions can beat up brass good, but I heard there's ways of stopping that. My PTR-91 "F" version seem to be ok with brass though. Just something to consider. I have no idea how M1A treats brass since I don't own one.
                            Last edited by shoebox56; 09-25-2013, 7:18 PM. Reason: Typos
                            Use GAB.COM

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jmpgnr24k
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 990

                              I agree. Get the m1a first because it will cost you more then the ptr. Then later get ptr.
                              Create a law that says gun control only applies to criminals.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1