Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR upper from PSA

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 65falconlover
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 64

    AR upper from PSA

    I just ordered a complete upper to complete my first AR build. It's coming from PSA and it's this one: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dle-14583.html

    The specs are as follows:

    PTAC 16" M4 1:7" 5.56 NATO YHM Rifle Length Diamond Upper with BCG and Charging Handle

    Barrel Length 16"
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    Melonite barrel finish
    1 in 7" twist
    M4 Profile Barrel
    .750" Gas Block Diameter
    M4 Feedramps
    Forged Upper
    T-marks
    M16 Profile Bolt Carrier Group
    YHM Rifle Length Diamond Rail

    It was $399 plus $15 shipping. Are there any drawbacks to having a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel? I didn't ask about it but it could be that it's a carbine system with the longer hand guard. If it's a concern I'll verify with them tomorrow and go from there. I've also heard people talking about having two gas blocks mounted on their rifle. What would be the reason for that other than a place to mount the longer guard?

    Thanks,

    John
  • #2
    Mossy Man
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 7641

    It's not a rifle length gas system.

    It's a carbine length gas system (M4 Profile) with a rifle-length free floated rail.

    Comment

    • #3
      Mossy Man
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2011
      • 7641

      Should be good, though.

      I would have chosen that one since Melonite is just as good/better than C/L and doesn't reduce accuracy.

      Depends how good the barrel was to begin with but......

      I didn't order that upper because i didn't like the rail. I ended up with the PSA brand MI SS12G2, which is very slim and lightweight.

      Comment

      • #4
        RuggedJay
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 1266

        Its an M4 profile barrel. 7"carbine gas system.
        The rail is rifle length. 12"
        Your welcome.

        Comment

        • #5
          Mossy Man
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2011
          • 7641

          Originally posted by RuggedJay
          Its an M4 profile barrel. 7"carbine gas system.
          The rail is rifle length. 12"
          Your welcome.
          and you're late

          Comment

          • #6
            BrassCase
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2011
            • 3192

            I have 2 PSA uppers and BCGs. You got the cheap one. Mine is has the FN hammer forged barrel (machine gun steel) that is CL and I have another that is a 20" SS barrel. Good price though and I'm sure it will work well.
            I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
            NRA Certified:

            Chief Range Safety Officer
            Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
            Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home

            Comment

            • #7
              65falconlover
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2012
              • 64

              Thanks guys! That's what I was unsure of but I feel better now. I would have preferred the PSA upper to match my PSA lower but I've heard they don't usually sell junk so I'll be good I'm sure. It's going to be another plinker with probably a few hundred rounds a year so I'm not necessarily in need of a high dollar set-up anyways.

              I'm actually surprised that they still show "In stock". Maybe things are turning around some! :-)

              Thanks again!

              John
              Last edited by 65falconlover; 09-25-2013, 7:44 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                65falconlover
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 64

                Originally posted by Mossy Man
                It's not a rifle length gas system.

                It's a carbine length gas system (M4 Profile) with a rifle-length free floated rail.
                How did you pick up on the free floated rail? It didn't say that anywhere in the description. Good to know about the Melonite, I wasn't sure about that either actually. Newbie for sure.

                John

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mossy Man
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 7641

                  Originally posted by 65falconlover
                  How did you pick up on the free floated rail? It didn't say that anywhere in the description. Good to know about the Melonite, I wasn't sure about that either actually. Newbie for sure.

                  John
                  The gas block is a low profile gas block, and you can see it is mounted underneath the rifle length guard. Its FF because its not mounted to the gas block likke on A2 FSBs, just the barrel nut.

                  As for the melonite, the treatment is similar to glock barrel treatment that hardens the metal.

                  Unlike a hard chrome lining, which may affect accuracy (minimal anyway))

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    someR1
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 2932

                    you will be pleased with that PSA upper. They may ship slow sometimes....but their products are top notch, and their prices are great !
                    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
                    - George Mason

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tal3nt
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 3168

                      I love psa

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cdpadilla
                        Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 125

                        Nice info in here! I just ordered the same one yesterday. Now waiting for my lower to get out of jail and what I hear is a long wait for psa to ship.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sadeem28
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2013
                          • 49

                          I ordered the same one as well, what would be our best front and rear sight options?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cdpadilla
                            Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 125

                            I'm also looking for a sight. What do you guys think about this for a cheap sight just for range use?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Chaos47
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 6615

                              Originally posted by cdpadilla
                              I'm also looking for a sight. What do you guys think about this for a cheap sight just for range use?

                              https://www.primaryarms.com/ProductD...ode=PA30MMAERO
                              PSA and PA are both GTG!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1