Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

franklin armory billet lower problem.....please help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • proraptor
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 2594

    franklin armory billet lower problem.....please help

    I just got a franklin armory billet lower out of jail and started to assemble it with a psa lower build kit. Everything went very smooth until I tried to tap the roll pin that holds the bolt release into the lower. The pin is too large of a diameter or the hole in the lower is out of spec and too small.

    ive spoken with franklin armory and they stated low serial # lowers have a slightly tight hole and suggested buying a tool from brownells to tap it in. Problem I have is the roll pin is significantly larger than the hole. I dont want to force it in and screw up the lower.

    ive heard of one other person that has had the tight hole which turned out to be a mess from what I read. Anyone else have this problem with their billet lowers? How did you resolve it? Im gonna take it back to ammo bros to see if they can get a pin in if not I guess im gonna have to return it. Bummer

    ive assembleld many lowers using psa lpk's and have never had a problem until now
    Nothin says hate like a .308
  • #2
    Speedpower
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 2238

    Does the roll pin you're trying to install fit the bolt release? are you sure that's the correct roll pin? just wanting to make sure.

    Comment

    • #3
      proraptor
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • 2594

      It fits In the bolt release no problem
      Nothin says hate like a .308

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        I always thought that tight holes were better.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          Speedpower
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 2238

          That means that the pin hole of the lower is out of spec, you'll need a long drill bit to enlarge that hole in order for the said roll pin to fit, forcing it in might end up buggering your lower!

          Comment

          • #6
            AKSOG
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 4139

            The mega billets come with a pin for the lower.

            Comment

            • #7
              bluedsteel
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 649

              Is it by alot? If not maybe try to roll up some sandpaper n sand it down

              Comment

              • #8
                Howitzer1987
                Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 166

                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                I always thought that tight holes were better.
                Too many directions to take this... hehehe

                Comment

                • #9
                  russ69
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 9348

                  What is the diameter of the hole and what is the roll pin diameter?
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Speedpower
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 2238

                    Originally posted by AKSOG
                    The mega billets come with a pin for the lower.
                    OP clearly says it's a Franklin Armory billet, it got nothing to do with the MEGA brand billet

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      umd
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 1703

                      Originally posted by proraptor
                      I just got a franklin armory billet lower out of jail and started to assemble it with a psa lower build kit. Everything went very smooth until I tried to tap the roll pin that holds the bolt release into the lower. The pin is too large of a diameter or the hole in the lower is out of spec and too small.
                      Originally posted by Speedpower
                      Does the roll pin you're trying to install fit the bolt release?
                      I just got some PSA LPKs yesterday and none of them fit in the bolt release. Both the bolt release hole is smaller than another I have, and the pin "looks" too big but I don't have any others out to compare against. It was late last evening so I didn't measure it, just put it away and went to bed. It seems to me that they are both out of spec. Other stuff I've gotten from PSA has been great; that was kind of a disappointment.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TheDigitalPicasso
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 1725

                        Had the same exact problem. What I did was squeeze the roll pin with pliers at one end and then taped it in without the bolt release. I did this so the roll pin can take its form. Then punch the roll pin out and install the bolt release and the roll pin will go in easy. Its not the lower that you're having a problem with its the roll pin they are to thick but as you can see they are made to be squeezed and become smaller.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Speedpower
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 2238

                          Originally posted by umd
                          I just got some PSA LPKs yesterday and none of them fit in the bolt release. Both the bolt release hole is smaller than another I have, and the pin "looks" too big but I don't have any others out to compare against. It was late last evening so I didn't measure it, just put it away and went to bed. It seems to me that they are both out of spec. Other stuff I've gotten from PSA has been great; that was kind of a disappointment.
                          OP said that the roll pin fits the bolt release itself, then the roll pin is within specs then.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            scoobydo
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 949

                            Got any pics?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              AKSOG
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • 4139

                              Originally posted by Speedpower
                              OP clearly says it's a Franklin Armory billet, it got nothing to do with the MEGA brand billet
                              It does after he takes it back. Sure wouldn't drill out holes on a lower I just paid top dollar for.
                              Last edited by AKSOG; 09-18-2013, 2:30 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1