Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SIG 556 Problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • XPC
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 14

    SIG 556 Problems

    First off, this is my first rifle, and I don't know that much so bear with me.

    I'm having some issues.

    After picking up my rifle today from the CWS Highland shop, I drove out to Barstow to shoot on some BLM land, anyhow it is having a problem cycling.

    Ammo: .223 Wolf 62gr FMJ
    MAG: Magpul 10/30

    I'd shoot, the shell would eject, and a new round doesn't come in. I had to manually cycle every round. Sometimes the bolt would come back half way, and begin to bring a new round in.. but then be stuck there.. and I would have to pull back and then let go to chamber the round.

    I tried quarter turning that gas valve on the front as the manual says. I disassembled/field stripped the rifle.. and everything was lubed up just fine.

    Then I started to notice as I started to try and rapidly fire and manually cycle each round.. the gun heated up.. and it actually started to properly cycle(somewhat, but still not really) as the gun cooled.. back to manual.

    Is it the ammo? I didn't have any other ammo with me, I know it's cheap, but other sig556 users seem to have no problem with it.(I searched)

    The Mag?

    The Rifle?

    Not sure what the issue is.. if anyone has any insight I'm all ears.

    Pretty bad experience this being my first one, and I'm pretty disappointed as well.

    Anyways I'll probably be returning it to CWS, and see what they have to say, not sure how the process works, I'll be most definitely be calling them come Monday.
  • #2
    acheron800
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 779

    I had the EXACT same problem and guess what, Magpul mags solved it completely, hasnt happened since. I was kinda pissed, but I guess the real problem is the follower, did you buy the 10/30 mags? I bought 2 from CWS and got the one 10 rd sotck ones with the good follower.

    It never happened with the 10 rd but all the time with the 10/30. The magpul fixed it, try that or replace your follower and spring if they are the ****ty kind.

    Comment

    • #3
      J_Rock
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2007
      • 2097

      Did you try using other mags?

      Did you try using different ammo?

      I'm guessing its either one or both of those things.

      Comment

      • #4
        XPC
        Junior Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 14

        Originally posted by acheron800
        I had the EXACT same problem and guess what, Magpul mags solved it completely, hasnt happened since. I was kinda pissed, but I guess the real problem is the follower, did you buy the 10/30 mags? I bought 2 from CWS and got the one 10 rd sotck ones with the good follower.

        It never happened with the 10 rd but all the time with the 10/30. The magpul fixed it, try that or replace your follower and spring if they are the ****ty kind.
        Hmm so no magpuls I guess, I guess I'll buy some different mags then and try it out.

        I guess I'll be selling my four 10/30 magpuls then.

        Well that sucks, hopefully your right, at least its not a problem with the rifle.

        Thanks acheron800

        Comment

        • #5
          CWM4A1
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 1135

          Wolf are known to be slightly under power. Since your gun is new, might want to consider getting some full power brass case load first to break it in. All my AR shoots wolf just fine, but that's after at least 500rds of mil spec surplus or Black Hill ammo.
          NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer.

          Comment

          • #6
            acheron800
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 779

            Originally posted by XPC
            Hmm so no magpuls I guess, I guess I'll buy some different mags then and try it out.

            I guess I'll be selling my four 10/30 magpuls then.

            Well that sucks, hopefully your right, at least its not a problem with the rifle.

            Thanks acheron800
            OH....Sorry, I meant go to Magpuls, I was using the ****ty mags...hmmm, then I went to magpuls and it went away... Try different ammo, could be I guess. Do that before you takie it back.

            Comment

            • #7
              LIFEWITHOUT
              Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 142

              Typically a failure to feed is magazine related. Not to be rude, but why would you spare no expense on the rifle, yet feed it cheap ammunition. For example, would you fill your new Audi v12 with the lawnmower's can?
              sigpic "History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake." James Joyce

              Comment

              • #8
                acheron800
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 779

                Originally posted by LIFEWITHOUT
                Typically a failure to feed is magazine related. Not to be rude, but why would you spare no expense on the rifle, yet feed it cheap ammunition. For example, would you fill your new Audi v12 with the lawnmower's can?
                Um, what V12? The new V12, hell yeah I would especially if there was diesel in that "lawnmowers can"...

                Comment

                • #9
                  MrEd
                  roaming the galaxy
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 675

                  had the same problem and this is what I did .
                  took the 556 apart and cleaned it all up with CLP in copious amount .
                  Then I lubed the heck out of it , then I cycled it about a hundred times , installed a new 10/20 magpul mag and it works like a charm now .
                  I followed the advice I got over at the 556 forum .
                  It seems to be a quite comon problem with brand new 556's .
                  Justice without force is powerless ; force without justice is Tyrannical

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    PIRATE14
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3189

                    Prolly mag or Ammo related......

                    We run PMAGS in all the SIGs....they seem to like those more than a STD GI MAG.....don't know why, not that the GIs don't run but not all of them..they do come come w/ plymer mags....

                    Just bring it back and we'll give you some new mags and other ammo to run.....

                    We at a min usually run PMC ammo for functionality check....

                    Every SIG that I have just pulled straight out of the box has always run w/o any lube.....cleaning or mods.......I do use decent ammo though.....

                    The SIG 556 at Raaughes was new out of the box and ran all wkedn w/o being stripped or cleaned.....it was the most popular rifle at the event.....

                    You did pick a nice rifle for your first one......we'll get you squared away.....
                    Last edited by PIRATE14; 06-13-2008, 6:00 AM.
                    CHECKOUT...http://cwstactical.com FOR ALL YOUR CALIFORNIA LEGAL AR-AK-HK RIFLES and BUILDS...

                    CWS....WE CAN GO HOT ANYTIME....

                    CALIFORNICATION AT IT'S BEST...

                    BRD....BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.......SPREAD IT!!!!!!!!!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dark Water
                      Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 156

                      It sounds like what is happening is not a failure to feed, but a failure to cylce properly. Wolf ammo is often times less powerful than other stuff out there and I bet a heavier grain round from a quality make will not give you this problem.
                      When you first get a rifle it is obviously not broken in yet so the action needs a little more power to fully cycle. Once you have used it more Wolf ammo should be fine. However, I personally would use a better round for such a great rifle. You can find inexpensive 5.56 rounds online for about $7.00 a box and at least they are Federal or even Lake City.
                      If the change in ammo does not fix your problem I would be surprised but then at least you know it is definetly the magazine. Either way you have a nice rifle. A friend of mine has one and Im jealous of it. Have fun with that thing.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        westcoastr
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • May 2007
                        • 557

                        i don't own a Sig but am looking at getting one. however, i do own a number of high-end semi rifles and pistols and they all needed a few hundred rounds to break in the action. well made guns are typically made with very tight tolerances (it is Swiss remember) and when they get their protective coating applied it tends to cause more friction until the high spots wear down. FAL rifles and XD pistols are known for this.

                        also to echo above, get rid of the WOLF and buy some decent ammo you cheap b*****d my Swiss friends would be appaulded that you are running that junk through their precision instrument. of course they get to carry their FULL-AUTO 550's around town and on trains without the police batting an eye, so maybe they won't be too mad
                        Westcoastr

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tom_92673
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 1400

                          Originally posted by ohsmily
                          Instructions:
                          1. read his post till you understand that he was advocating MagPuls
                          2. repeat until you get it.
                          Advice to OP. Read the constructive advice and avoid critical or sarcastic comments like this, lest you start to believe that we all have poor attitudes.

                          Congrats on the new rifle.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            XPC
                            Junior Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 14

                            Thanks for the advice everyone

                            I'll try some quality ammo first and post my results

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              redcliff
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 5676

                              Lube the rifle copiously.
                              "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                              "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                              "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                              "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                              although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1