Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

7.62x39 zero

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SFCRangerDoc
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 829

    7.62x39 zero

    Hey guys so I was wondering what zeros y'all use for your AK platform rifles. I'm familiar with AR battle zeros, etc and was just wanting some input on how you guys do it. Do you zero at 100? 200? if zeroed at 100 whats the POI at 50? 2 in? 1 in?

    I just finished a saiga conversion and am trying to save some time (and ammo) at the range getting my zero

    Doc
    sigpic
  • #2
    baz152
    Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 311

    I am interested as well. I am more wondering on a 25 yard or 33 yard zero.

    From what I have found searching 7.62x39 trajectory chart, it looks like a 25 yard zero will keep you +- 6" out to 250 yards.

    Comment

    • #3
      RailroadGunner
      Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 348

      Originally posted by baz152
      I am interested as well. I am more wondering on a 25 yard or 33 yard zero.

      From what I have found searching 7.62x39 trajectory chart, it looks like a 25 yard zero will keep you +- 6" out to 250 yards.
      That's pretty close, I zeroed my AK's using a downloadable 25m AK sight target and can hit 7" railroad tie plates easily at 200+ yards.
      Last edited by RailroadGunner; 07-11-2013, 9:25 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        6mmintl
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 4822

        I mostly see AK's at the 25/50 yard sniper lines, I have never seen one at the 100 or 200 yard line so assume they all have 25/50 yard zero's.

        I would like to see them try longer distances but owner confidence is not a strong point with this platform.

        Comment

        • #5
          Noonanda
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3404

          here is what we used at my last unit (we taught a FW package to advisor teams) to BZO the AK-47's

          "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

          Comment

          • #6
            Chameleon Loco
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 2187

            My unconverted saiga 7.62x39 is zeroed for 100 yards and I have no problem hitting targets out to 200 yards with it. I noticed at longer ranges high quailty ammo like fiocchi, remington, and many other brass ammo including yugo surplus is more accurate than steel case ammo.
            Want to Buy: Ruger PC9 Magazine Buttstock Pouch

            Comment

            • #7
              SFCRangerDoc
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2012
              • 829

              Yeah I have had no trouble with other converted saigas hitting stuff out in the 200-300 yd range with irons. I'm a pretty good shot as it is, and i think the ak's often dont get the credit they deserve.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Donk310
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 1798

                My AK has a 100 yards zero. That's about as far as I ever shoot with it... even with a scope on it.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  zfields
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 13658

                  IIRC I did a 47 yard zero to be on at 200.

                  Was a while back though, so don't hold me to it.
                  Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                  10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cadre
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 3310

                    my range only has 50 and 100. irons zero at 50
                    Originally posted by Kwikvette
                    OPeR4t3Rz w3aR dem h4tz br4h!
                    Originally posted by ddindetroit
                    I think you mean ProStaff on your ad and not Prostate- the male secretary organ that causes urinary obstruction in old age and make chymotrypsin to lyse seminal clots.

                    These are nice scopes - ProStaff that is; not the Prostate.

                    DD

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dattebayo
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2013
                      • 2344

                      Well on an interesting side note, there was a episodes of Sons of Guns, where they turned a regular AK into a precision AK rifle. They call it the 1000 yard AK.



                      According to Sons of Guns and Discovery Channel, they put it together for a total of $2800.
                      Last edited by Dattebayo; 07-11-2013, 8:30 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RobGR
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 2880

                        AK47/7.62x39mm: Zero at 25m/27yd with rear leaf sight set on 1/100m mark. Once POA matches POI at 25m, then drop slide to BZ mark (N) on the rear leaf sight.

                        Find information, resources and relevant links for ak-47.net. This domain may be for sale.


                        Ballistics chart by Zhukov, post #5:



                        However, Zhukov then states he would prefer a 50yd zero. But looking at that ballistics chart, 25yds (~23m) is perfect for center of mass out to 300yds (~274m) with a groin shot on human adult, -14" bullet drop. 100yds/+ 3" and 200yds/0" and drops dramatically after 300yds, at -42"/400yds. COM for me would be middle chest or sternum, not stomach, and not sure what the military defines COM.

                        I am by no means a ballistics expert, merely a novice that loves the AKM platform. I really wish all data and info was set in meters when (US shooters communicate or create ballistics charts), but considering we are not metric, we butcher it up with yards. Please feel free to correct my reasoning and state why and how.
                        Last edited by RobGR; 07-12-2013, 1:59 PM. Reason: Added meters and clarification

                        "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

                        KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

                        "I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MrPlink
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 12532

                          Well the sight gradations are in meters...
                          The BZO is 300m IIRC
                          And 400 for 545.
                          The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

                          disclaimer:
                          everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MossbergMan
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 1255

                            I just stumbled on the 25 yard zero for my AK47. Thanks Rob for the info here.
                            On my current BZO (the click behind the 100 meter mark) I am accurate (minute of man) 0-350. Tennessee GunWorks did the trigger and added M-4 furniture and that trigger is as good (I think better) as any of my stock ARs.
                            Great thread.
                            Larry Renner
                            Plus (+) P Proficiency LLC
                            NRA and CA. P.O.S.T certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Tactical Instructor.
                            You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mamluke
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 1161

                              I Zero at 50 yards, does quite well for 100 yards too... NOT interested beyond that! I will spray and pray should the need arise ...

                              ....

                              ....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1