Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DD vs PSA

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • golfish
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2013
    • 10125

    DD vs PSA

    Hey all,
    To all the Fathers out there I wish you very happy Fathers Day. We all know is doesn't equal Mothers Day. I'm hoping to watch a good US open

    So I'm looking for an upper. My last\first upper I bought was a PSA mid lenght 400.00 upper (a few months ago). Its worked flawless for me so far and was real perdy.

    Other then 500 bucks and the name, what's the main diff between these two uppers. I guess what I'm asking is what makes the DD cost twice as much?

    Rainier Arms specializes in high-end AR15 parts and accessories—including grips, stocks, uppers, lowers, barrels, and more—from the industry's top-tier manufacturers.


    It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

    MLC, First 3
  • #2
    michiganboy
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 304

    Just to name a few, DD upper is hammer forge and includes BCG and charging handle.

    Comment

    • #3
      Arkangel
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 4458

      The DD comes w/ the Omega rail, BCG, and CH (not to mention the DD name and QC).
      _██_
      (ಠ_ృ) riveting tale, chap.

      Comment

      • #4
        Eric B
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 651

        In general, after seeing he PSA torture test video, I'm not sure. My PSA has been rock solid and accurate to boot. I'm not spending all that extra cash for nothing. I can't shoot auto, and my guns never will. My barrels will outlast me, surely.
        Last edited by Eric B; 06-14-2013, 3:17 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          golfish
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2013
          • 10125

          Brother, I need to get better glasses. I looked and looked at the page and never saw the BCG listed. It sucks getting old.

          I do have a DD charging handle, its worth what I paid (30.00) Does anybody know about the bolt? Is that Carpenter 158 steel?

          Thanks guys
          Last edited by golfish; 06-14-2013, 3:22 PM.
          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
          Happiness is a warm gun.

          MLC, First 3

          Comment

          • #6
            hcbr
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 4733

            +1 for DD, my second AR is a DD and you won't be sorry and glad you got it
            Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

            "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
            ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

            Comment

            • #7
              Agent Tikki
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 1217

              DD has the cachet, fit and finish, and better quality control.

              PSA is great, I love mine!
              He who does not fear the sword he wields does not deserve to wield it.-Kubo Tite

              Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages

              Comment

              • #8
                Varg Vikernes
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 2831

                PSA quality has taken a dump with the panic buy. Lots of people buying parts kit with missing parts, BCGs missing parts, and canted sights. Also if you do an RMA be prepared to wait 2 weeks or whatever. On top of waiting 2 weeks to even start getting your stuff shipped.

                DD QC is probably a lot better.

                Comment

                • #9
                  duggan
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 1821

                  Originally posted by Varg Vikernes
                  PSA quality has taken a dump with the panic buy. Lots of people buying parts kit with missing parts, BCGs missing parts, and canted sights. Also if you do an RMA be prepared to wait 2 weeks or whatever. On top of waiting 2 weeks to even start getting your stuff shipped.

                  DD QC is probably a lot better.
                  Just put together a rifle using a PSA rifle build kit, all parts were there, gas key was staked properly, no marks or marring on any of the pre-built assemblies. OP do what your wallet can handle, either way you'll be fine.
                  A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Germz
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 4691

                    This decision is the equivalent of whether or not you like Fuji apples or Granny Smith apples....
                    Retired Account

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sffred
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 2421

                      Originally posted by Arkangel
                      The DD comes w/ the Omega rail, BCG, and CH (not to mention the DD name and QC).
                      Yup, but don't forget!

                      If you get the Daniel Defense you will receive it within 10 business days.

                      If you get the PSA you"ll wait pretty long before they even ship it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Elwood_Blues
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 2395

                        I got a complete DD upper for my first build. I really like it, however, it does not cycle MFS, steel cased, zinc plated ammo very well. I didn't try any other steel cased ammo with it.

                        My second build eats everything. And I used brand new JD stripped upper, brand new Spike's BCG, and used FN barrel. So go figure.
                        Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting
                        We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
                        Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Striker
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 750

                          Originally posted by golfish
                          Hey all,
                          To all the Fathers out there I wish you very happy Fathers Day. We all know is doesn't equal Mothers Day. I'm hoping to watch a good US open

                          So I'm looking for an upper. My last\first upper I bought was a PSA mid lenght 400.00 upper (a few months ago). Its worked flawless for me so far and was real perdy.

                          Other then 500 bucks and the name, what's the main diff between these two uppers. I guess what I'm asking is what makes the DD cost twice as much?

                          Rainier Arms specializes in high-end AR15 parts and accessories—including grips, stocks, uppers, lowers, barrels, and more—from the industry's top-tier manufacturers.


                          http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dle-13168.html
                          Not a father, but I'm hoping to watch a good US Open as well.

                          In order to compare the two you would have to find a PSA upper with the FN CHF barrel and with a rail comparable to the DD Omega X. Then add the cost of a good BCG, charging handle and vertical grip and see how close the pricing is. Also, while I applaud PSA for what their doing/trying to do in the AR market, I also acknowledge they're a fairly new player in the game, so we don't really know how good they are at it yet. Daniel Defense has the game down, period. They make great rifles and though Larry Vickers and Kyle Defoor more or less defected to BCM, they were both once big DD supporters/endorsers. KD once said he thought DD made the best box stock carbine. None of that means the PSA won't serve you well; it does mean that you're taking a bigger risk with them. And the upper you're looking at isn't comparable to the DD upper you're looking at, but if it serves your needs, then it does.

                          Hope that's helpful.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            smittty
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 6273

                            I sent my upper to DD for repair and they sent it back to me in "that's the best we can do" unrepaired condition. Before sending it in they daid they would turn it sround within 2 days but it took several weeks and repeated phone calls to get them to actually touch my upper.

                            I ended up returning that upper to Midwayusa and replaced it with a PSA which turned out to be perfect. This was about a year ago.

                            If you can stomach the ridiculous wait time then PSA is good to go. The only DD part I own now is their A1.5 rear sight.
                            Last edited by smittty; 06-15-2013, 5:21 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              crazyucbr
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 794

                              I think most of DD components are made in house too if that matters to you (minus the magpul). PSA outsource a lot of theirs. I'm sure QC will show
                              "get that evil thing out of the house"

                              FFLs/Store I support and recommend:
                              Don at Straightline Tactical in Anaheim
                              Steve at OC Firearms in Fountain Valley.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1