Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Muzzle brake for 30-06

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DrVino
    Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 378

    Muzzle brake for 30-06

    I've had two separate gun smiths tell me I should get a muzzle brake on my 30-06.

    Is this because it gets them 300 of my dollars, or will this really do anything for my shooting?

    Yeah, the thing kicks, but I can handle 20 rounds from a bench and then not be sore the next day - so I am not sure what I gain in terms of "recoil reduction".

    Also. I am not sure what 2 more inches on a 22" barrel will do for accuracy.
    Once the projectile gets past the muzzle the gun can go anywhere and it will not "curve the bullet"...

    So what's the deal?

    Any tangible, evidence-based recommendations?
    Has anyone compared shooting with and without a muzzle brake on a 30-06?
    sigpic
    mala tempora currunt
  • #2
    NapalmCheese
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2011
    • 5958

    Most people shoot lower recoiling guns better than higher recoiling guns. It's not so much about "I can shoot 500 rounds of .50 BMG and not feel a thing the next day" but more about "I don't subconsciously flinch because even if I pretend not to care about the recoil my brain is still saying don't do this to me anymore because it hurts".

    That being said, you can train out an involuntary flinch, it just takes time and concentration. It's easier to just not acquire the flinch in the first place.
    Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

    Comment

    • #3
      DrVino
      Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 378

      Good point.

      My approach has been: "The gun will recoil. I'll focus on sighting and target acquisition and smooth trigger pull. Once the projectile is out of the barrel, it will go where the sight (properly zeroed) pointed at the time of pin strike"

      What would you recommend as an exercise to "train out" an involuntary flinch?
      sigpic
      mala tempora currunt

      Comment

      • #4
        NapalmCheese
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2011
        • 5958

        Same as you do for a pistol, have a friend load you gun with a snap cap or two somewhere in the magazine. If it's a single shot, have your friend load your gun and sneak a snap cap in. Make sure to not watch while you cycle the new round in lest you figure out when you get to the snap cap.

        Breathe, aim, squeeze, and you'll figure out if you're flinching or not.

        If you are, go back to shooting a .22 and concentrate on your trigger squeeze and keeping everything still and consistent. When you go back to the big gun it's the same thing, concentrate on the trigger squeeze and consistency.

        Also, really good ear pro helps.
        Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

        Comment

        • #5
          Dutch Henry
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 733

          All good advice from above. Also, if you're recoil sensitive, you can buy a recoil shield as made by Past and others to give you some relief as benchrest shooting can be a tad punishing with some lighter weight 30 caliber and larger rifles. Besides, it is cheaper than installing a muzzle brake.

          Personally, I've never seen the need for a muzzle brake. They don't make the rifle more accurate and the muzzle blast from rifles equipped with brakes can usually be counted on to anger other shooters and people in the immediate area.

          Comment

          • #6
            DrVino
            Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 378

            Funny you should mention muzzle blast:

            sigpic
            mala tempora currunt

            Comment

            • #7
              hermosabeach
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2009
              • 19807

              Of it is a hunting rifle, keep it brake free.

              The muzzle blast to the shooter and increased SPL from many brakes cause permanent hearing loss.


              Maybe I missed it in your post but why did they suggest a brake?
              What was the problem they were looking to fix?

              For target shooting a good brake can lessen the push on the shooter and help shooters keep a better natural point of aim.
              Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

              Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

              Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

              Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
              (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

              Comment

              • #8
                DrVino
                Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 378

                I went into one shop for advice on a bipod. They tried to sell me on a brake.
                I was at another shop getting some work done on my 1897 and noticed they had the same gun I have on the rack and they also said to get a brake.

                I want to hunt and shoot from the bench in between.

                Seems like a pad will do more for less than a $300 muzzle job.
                sigpic
                mala tempora currunt

                Comment

                • #9
                  Justintoxicated
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3836

                  Originally posted by DrVino
                  I've had two separate gun smiths tell me I should get a muzzle brake on my 30-06.

                  Is this because it gets them 300 of my dollars, or will this really do anything for my shooting?

                  Yeah, the thing kicks, but I can handle 20 rounds from a bench and then not be sore the next day - so I am not sure what I gain in terms of "recoil reduction".

                  Also. I am not sure what 2 more inches on a 22" barrel will do for accuracy.
                  Once the projectile gets past the muzzle the gun can go anywhere and it will not "curve the bullet"...

                  So what's the deal?

                  Any tangible, evidence-based recommendations?
                  Has anyone compared shooting with and without a muzzle brake on a 30-06?
                  Steel plate to my shoulder, and 30-06 is nothing out of a Garand, but out of a 1903 that's another story. I guess we are assuming your shooting a bolt gun?

                  My PRI Quite Control brake seems to work ok so far, quite for the shooter, not so much for those around you.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DrVino
                    Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 378

                    Originally posted by Justintoxicated
                    I guess we are assuming your shooting a bolt gun?
                    Ruger American Rifle

                    Nice entry level boom stick.
                    sigpic
                    mala tempora currunt

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Switchbarrel
                      Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 483

                      The muzzle brake will make the rifle much more comfortable to shoot from the bench and can be removed when you go hunting. Thread protectors can be had to protect the threads while the brake is off.

                      Depending upon the brake, most should be between $100-200 installed. If some shop is telling you $300, go elsewhere (not that you're gonna do it anyway).

                      -Rick
                      Unbiased AR15, Barnard (sold ), BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57175

                        I charge around $100 to $120 to install a brake, while-you-wait.
                        There are good $50 muzzle brakes from Ross Schuler.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DrVino
                          Member
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 378

                          ar15barrels
                          where are you located?
                          what makes the difference between $100 and $100
                          are they removable?
                          What do I lose if do have one installed and then don't like it?
                          sigpic
                          mala tempora currunt

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TheRain
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 43

                            Damn dude, stop going to that shop.
                            My wife had asked for a muzzle break on HER Remington 700SPS in 30-06. I agreed and may be getting one for mine.

                            We went with the Precision Armament M11 Severe Duty Break (we found ours for about half of Brownells price



                            308 is the same size bean as 30-06, I took it to Parallax Tactical in San Diego and for $50 they threaded the barrel, and got the break on and called me to pick it up within a few hours.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bcrich
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 1159

                              My bro's got the same rifle and wanted to get his braked but that barrel seems too thin for the 5/8" threads on my brakes (Ross Schuller) maybe a 1/2" would work but not sure! I never miked the barrel contour.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1