Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR bolt release question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bshurilla
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 56

    AR bolt release question?

    I finally had time to assemble an 80% tactical machine lower that was completed at the machine shop. When I went to install the plunger and spring for the bolt release I found the hole was to shallow to allow the spring and plunger to fully seat. Nothing blocking the hole. It's just to shallow. So I had a few choices, grind down the plunger and cut the spring, drill the hole deeper etc. I was hesitant to do either so I just installed the spring with no plunger. It seems to be working just fine.
    So I guess the question is how important is the plunger? Should I be worried about some type of failure. The gun is functioning just fine. I am willing to leave it as is, unless there is a safety issue. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.
    sigpic
  • #2
    Enfield47
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2012
    • 6385

    Take it back and have it fixed to meet specs. If you paid for the work to be done, it should be done correctly.

    Comment

    • #3
      rabagley
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2008
      • 7180

      If you have the right drill, drill it to spec.
      "Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado

      Comment

      • #4
        Jeymz
        Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 292

        I don't know of anyone running their bolt catch like that so who knows what the long term issues would be. I would just get it done right and not have to worry about it. Good luck.

        Comment

        • #5
          SouperMan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1463

          The plunger is there so that the spring doesn't ever catch on the release mechanism. It provides a smooth interface between the spring and the catch.

          I would either get the manufacturer to drill out the hole properly again as it sounds like a warranty issue, unless you have some steady hands and a drill.

          Comment

          • #6
            Bshurilla
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 56

            Looks like I'm gonna go with steady hand and a drill. Does anyone have the correct depth of this hole? I really can't read blueprints very well. The hole is recessed into the channel for the actual bolt catch lever. I'm looking for the depth from the face of the lower reciever. So the depth of the hole + the depth of the channel. Did that make sense? Just gonna put tape on the drill bit and drill till the tape is even with the face of the lower.
            sigpic

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1