Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Target shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • glock17_1986
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 653

    Target shooting

    Hey guys can you use a non bull barrel for target shooting? Or is it best to have a bull barrel? I do not understand why it would matter. I am a noob to bolt action rifles though.
  • #2
    SFCRangerDoc
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 829

    Originally posted by glock17_1986
    Hey guys can you use a non bull barrel for target shooting? Or is it best to have a bull barrel? I do not understand why it would matter. I am a noob to bolt action rifles though.
    It doesn't *really* matter. Bull barrels are usually a tad heavier and thicker which can help with accuracy a bit, but usually any innacuracy comes from the shooter, not the gun. Very few people can actually shoot a rifle to its full ability and when they do, then that heavier barrel would be helpful. For you, I wouldn't worry too much.

    Doc
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      glock17_1986
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 653

      Originally posted by SFCRangerDoc
      It doesn't *really* matter. Bull barrels are usually a tad heavier and thicker which can help with accuracy a bit, but usually any innacuracy comes from the shooter, not the gun. Very few people can actually shoot a rifle to its full ability and when they do, then that heavier barrel would be helpful. For you, I wouldn't worry too much.

      Doc
      Thank you very much Doc. I posted on California precision rifles club about the rifle my wife got me as a gift and some one stated that if its a thinner hunting type barrel then the rifle most likely isn't suitable for target shooting. So I thought I would ask my fellow calgunners.

      Comment

      • #4
        6mmintl
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 4822

        Depends on the rifle caliber and precision required, some remington and savage .243 rifles are adequate for silhouette and tactical rifle shooting with proper handloads and rifle rework (bedding/freefloating/trigger work/ bolt/mag tuning) and maybe adding weight. Good optics help also.

        You wont be in the winners circle but you will have gained enough knowledge for a years shooting to upgrade barrel and optics.

        Comment

        • #5
          dub762
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 25

          As the barrel heats up from repeated shots, the gun becomes less accurate. Thats why clubs and target shooters use the heavy barrels. You can use your hunting barrel, just let it cool in between shots.

          Comment

          • #6
            glock17_1986
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 653

            Thanks guys. I planned on only shooting a few shots and letting it cool. The rifle my wife got me is a 7mm rem mag so I know that the barrel can heat up pretty fast from what I have heard. what is a good amount of time to let the barrel cool enough?

            Comment

            • #7
              Divernhunter
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2010
              • 8753

              If you cannot hold your hand on the barrel then it is time to stop shooting. If the barrel is cool to the touch it is time to start shooting. With a 7mag this will only be a coupe of shots. The more shooting you do with the barrel hot the more wear, especially in the throat, that will happen. It does not take long to wash out a 7mag barrel.
              Down loading the ammo will help quite a bit for a handloader.
              The 7mag is not the best round for"target shooting" especially for a novice. You will surely start flinching with full power loads. It is also pretty costly to shoot.

              As seems to be the case with the newbies you do not show a location so someone with expierence could offer to help you.
              A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
              NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
              SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

              Comment

              • #8
                glock17_1986
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 653

                Thank you I appreciate your help. Now I feel like I am up the river without a paddle. I guess I will just have to shoot a little at a time. To bad cause I am out of cash for a different rifle. Also I am located in the inland empire. What is a cheap 308 one could save up for? I say cheap because I just don't have the cash to buy another rem 700 or pay 600. I wish rifles were like pistols were I could shoot a lot of ammo.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hermosabeach
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19848

                  Target shooting...

                  Are you just going to the range to shoot groups from a bench?

                  One of the definitions I heard years back of a rifleman is one who can shoot to the limitations of the rifle.

                  So if the rifle can group 1 1/2" group at 100 yards from a sand bag rest, can the shooter do the same from: standing, kneeling, squatting, prone, etc...

                  The M1 Garand is not the most accurate rifle and folks shoot that in service competitions out to 300 at my range with the original iron sights....

                  If you want an itty bitty group, I have seen those from normal profile barrels.

                  If you want to shoot a lot and keep the same group size, the heavier barrel will deal with heat better....

                  But for itty bitty groups, there are a lot of variables in addition to a quality stiff barrel

                  I hope this helps.....
                  Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                  Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                  Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                  Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                  (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    glock17_1986
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 653

                    Originally posted by hermosabeach
                    Target shooting...

                    Are you just going to the range to shoot groups from a bench?

                    One of the definitions I heard years back of a rifleman is one who can shoot to the limitations of the rifle.

                    So if the rifle can group 1 1/2" group at 100 yards from a sand bag rest, can the shooter do the same from: standing, kneeling, squatting, prone, etc...

                    The M1 Garand is not the most accurate rifle and folks shoot that in service competitions out to 300 at my range with the original iron sights....

                    If you want an itty bitty group, I have seen those from normal profile barrels.

                    If you want to shoot a lot and keep the same group size, the heavier barrel will deal with heat better....

                    But for itty bitty groups, there are a lot of variables in addition to a quality stiff barrel

                    I hope this helps.....
                    Thank you. I plan on just shooting from a bench and having fun. I want to make it to 1k eventually, but I know that will take me a while. Yes I do want to be able to shot the same from all the positions you mentioned. I do not want to compete because man that is a lot of cash that I cant justify spending. My wife would kill me for spending upwards of 5k for a custom setup. I guess I should have just stuck to pistols and skeet shooting.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hermosabeach
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 19848

                      Bull, Long, Short and other variations






                      Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                      Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                      Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                      Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                      (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        glock17_1986
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 653

                        For some reason I cant see what you posted ^^^^

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Twystd1
                          Superfluous
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 2692

                          Originally posted by dub762
                          As the barrel heats up from repeated shots, the gun becomes less accurate. Thats why clubs and target shooters use the heavy barrels. You can use your hunting barrel, just let it cool in between shots.
                          The man knows of what he speaks. T

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            glock17_1986
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 653

                            Originally posted by Twystd1
                            The man knows of what he speaks. T
                            Thanks for the reassurance. I think most of you guys know what your talking about.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              russ69
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 9348

                              Originally posted by glock17_1986
                              Thank you. I plan on just shooting from a bench and having fun. I want to make it to 1k eventually, but I know that will take me a while. Yes I do want to be able to shot the same from all the positions you mentioned. I do not want to compete because man that is a lot of cash that I cant justify spending. My wife would kill me for spending upwards of 5k for a custom setup. I guess I should have just stuck to pistols and skeet shooting.
                              Get a nice 22 bolt rifle and shoot all you want.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1