Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help with SKS!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddog5150
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2006
    • 10526

    Help with SKS!

    after owning an SKS for about 3 years in cosmoline(sp?) I finally decided to clean it. Im almost done but how do I remove the firing pin and extractor? its caked with the stuff. I've searched the interweb but could only find how to field strip it.
    Thanks in advance
    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
    Note: I did not write the above article.

    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

    sigpic
  • #2
  • #3
    Maddog5150
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2006
    • 10526

    ah. thank you. i did try google but your google fu is much stronger than my google fu
    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
    Note: I did not write the above article.

    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #4
      fireluvrandrew@gmail.com
      Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 364

      LOL
      haha good luck!!!!
      (I cheated, I had the same issue a couple weeks ago... I knew what to google for haha)
      In Loving Memory of Sergeant Marcus Frank. EOW 10/7/07
      I miss you dad

      Comment

      • #5
        Gator Monroe
        Banned
        • Oct 2007
        • 6422

        And visit Survivors sks boards also for all that is SKS ...

        Comment

        • #6
          Satex
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2006
          • 3501

          Originally posted by Maddog5150
          how do I remove the firing pin and extractor? its caked with the stuff.
          Don't remove those if you can get around it. Those pins are VERY hard to remove. You can clean the firing pin by spraying a degreaser and rinsing it out.

          Comment

          • #7
            Maddog5150
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2006
            • 10526

            its like caked majorly. I just got the retaining pin out with a vice and a very large hammer I used to break apart welds which I dubbed "Mjolnir". It took several big whacks to get it loose. there is so much cosmoline that the extractor makes a squishy sound when I move it :yuck:
            Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

            For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
            Note: I did not write the above article.

            Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #8
              jandmtv
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2007
              • 5800

              use odorless mineral spirits (paint thinner) from home depot. it gets the cosmo out really well, and doesnt stink up the whole place.
              Looking for RPR or Precision Rifle Accessories? Check out Anarchy Outdoors. http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com?afmc=1w

              Comment

              • #9
                Stanze
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 3301

                That was good move cleaning the firing pin, firing pin channel and extractor. The build-up of cosmoline and fouling can increase the chances of a slam-fire in your SKS.
                Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

                "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


                "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

                Comment

                • #10
                  Joe Register
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 1309

                  big hammer

                  You need a big hammer and a strong punch (don't use brass unless you want to see it bend like taffy). Place the bolt so it spans two 2x4s with a small gap to let the retaining pin drop out. It doesn't tap out easy but once you do one you will be familiar with the amount of force involved. You should remove the firing pin to check for damage and to be positive to clean out the gunk. Cleaning with the pin in place won't do. All you need is a small amount of monkey spunkey in there to cause a slam fire. You know the bolt is clean if you hear the pin rattle when you shake it (unless you have a spring on your pin - in which case, never mind).

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    Maddog5150
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 10526

                    yay. after just two nights and only a six pack of miller light its put together. three years and its finally together. uploading pics
                    Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                    For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                    Note: I did not write the above article.

                    Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57175

                      Soak the bolt in brake cleaner or some other solvent overnight.
                      It will work into all the crevices and break down the preservative.
                      Then you can take it all apart, detail clean and re-oil it before re-assembly.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Gator Monroe
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 6422

                        Please dont go tacticool on us (Keep it original with wood furniture and get a Chinese sling with leather tab ends that will not scratch metal)

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          buff_01
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 619

                          Originally posted by Gator Monroe
                          Please dont go tacticool on us (Keep it original with wood furniture and get a Chinese sling with leather tab ends that will not scratch metal)
                          That's exactly what I did with mine...
                          ...and the trees were all made equal by hatchet, axe, and sword...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1