Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.50 Cal Bug

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cwa14509
    Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 100

    .50 Cal Bug

    I've got it!

    What I don't have is a huge bank account (student!). This has led me to the bohica far-50 (in .510 DTC). I understand there are better choices out there, but for an entry level rifle on a budget, this suites me quite well.

    What I'm really interested in is the lower. Any AR-15 lower should work (Per their site), but is there a better way to complete this build? The only thing I had in mind was a nice two stage trigger.

    Thanks for any help!
  • #2
    apbrian112
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 3279

    if you get the RRA 2 stage trigger, you'll have to mod it. (instructions on arfcom). i ordered mine a couple weeks back for the same reasons that you listed.
    my plans:
    -far50 24" 510dtc
    -dsarms lower
    -PRS or Vltor stock
    -ergo tactical grip w/ palm shelf or dpms tactical grip
    -RRA 2 stage trigger
    -SS 16x in a Armalite one piece mount.
    CRPA Lifetime Member

    Comment

    • #3
      apbrian112
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 3279

      oh, and the rifle is just the beginning... you have to remember that 50dtc costs roughly $250 for 100 rounds.
      CRPA Lifetime Member

      Comment

      • #4
        mltrading
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 1251

        1) Get a DPMS single shot lower. You won't bother with magazine stuff.

        2) Check with Dave at Spider Arms, the home of Ferret 50. They sell heavy duty spring kits for AR lower conversion. They also sell match hammers and triggers.



        Since I had the complete F-50 prior to the ban, I don't need to upgrade the trigger/hammer/springs.

        Happy 50-ing!!!
        ML TRADING
        e-mail
        +1 408 582 3156

        Comment

        • #5
          cwa14509
          Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 100

          The ammo prices are definitely scary, but I guess that's part of the game!

          Comment

          • #6
            redcliff
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 5676

            I"m considerring orderring one in .50bmg eventually. Hurray for having a registerred AW! Do they charge your credit card when they ship? Or do they do it upfront?

            "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
            "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
            "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

            "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
            although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

            Comment

            • #7
              ke6guj
              Moderator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Nov 2003
              • 23725

              Originally posted by redcliff
              I"m considerring orderring one in .50bmg eventually. Hurray for having a registerred AW! Do they charge your credit card when they ship? Or do they do it upfront?

              http://fiftycal.org/newletters/070822/
              If you are talking about Bohica, you can get on the waiting list for free. When you name comes up towards the top of the list, they will call to confirm you still want it, and to arrange payment. Then, you just wait for them to finish up yours and ship it (may take couple weekss or so after payment).
              Jack



              Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

              No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

              Comment

              • #8
                redcliff
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2008
                • 5676

                Originally posted by ke6guj
                If you are talking about Bohica, you can get on the waiting list for free. When you name comes up towards the top of the list, they will call to confirm you still want it, and to arrange payment. Then, you just wait for them to finish up yours and ship it (may take couple weekss or so after payment).
                Yes I was referring to Bohica, sorry I wasn't clear. Thank you for the info!
                "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                Comment

                • #9
                  draconianruler
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 1590

                  The Bohica upper has a hole in the bottom of the bolt body that will vent gas down the magwell in the event of a ruptured primer. If you get a single shot lower, you should drill a hole through the lower so you still have the gas escape route.
                  sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Blue
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8072

                    Originally posted by draconianruler
                    The Bohica upper has a hole in the bottom of the bolt body that will vent gas down the magwell in the event of a ruptured primer. If you get a single shot lower, you should drill a hole through the lower so you still have the gas escape route.
                    +1

                    Hows the chrome holding up on your bolt head? I've had two issues with my upper so far. My extractor spring isn't adjusted right and the chrome looks to be flaking off of my bolt.
                    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                    than those who would seek to destroy me.
                    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                    sigpic
                    NRA Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      savageevo
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 1220

                      If you want to get a bohica right away, contact Grammatron here. He is a moderator here and I believe a distributor for bohica. I believe he has one left and its th 30" fluted barrel. This upper is the latest gen. with the updated bolt. NO waiting time for this one whoever grabs it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        50 Shooter
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1653

                        If you want to check out some .50's, come out to Angeles Range on the 20th. Not sure if there will be any Bohica's there but there will be some .50 BMG and DTC guns there.
                        50 BMG Shooters http://50-bmg.com/forum/index.php

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Twinspool
                          Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 279

                          Why not just get a .308 or '06 bolt gun and practice at long ranges before it's costing you $2+ per round?

                          I love motorcycles, but you don't start on the Hayabusa, right?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cwa14509
                            Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 100

                            Originally posted by Twinspool
                            Why not just get a .308 or '06 bolt gun and practice at long ranges before it's costing you $2+ per round?

                            I love motorcycles, but you don't start on the Hayabusa, right?
                            You're right! I followed the same advice from my friend, putting alot of rounds down his .270 and .308 (after a few years with a 22 and a .223). I was on track to put together a .308 of my own, until I learned about the .510 dtc being available.

                            The sensible thing to do would be to hone my skills further with a rifle that uses cheaper ammo. I have to be sensible at school and work
                            When I'm out shooting I just want to have (responsible) fun, and when the ammo prices start to hurt, I'll just shoot a different rifle.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1