Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ak question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • slickjoesd
    Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 198

    ak question

    so here i am in my garage with my drill press....i am going to attempt a screw build, it says you drill using a #21 bit, before tapping... now my question is you drill right into the old rivits or do you have to drill into the old rivets and pry them out somehow first? Anyone help me out here? any tips and tricks? I have allread ground the old demilled reciver off. Thanks
    Joe

    Ps someone told me there is videos on the net somewhere, but i cant seem to find them.... anyone have a link?
    You sink em, we save em. Support your local search & rescue..... GET LOST sigpic
  • #2
    wayoutwest
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 727

    Slick, you will have to drill right into the rivits on the upper ones, you will need to be careful on how deep you drill, cause you dont want to drill into the barrel. There is a silm chance that the rivits can be removed from the uppers holes with the barrel in place, there is very little room in between the barrel and the inside of the trunion. The lowers rivits you can drill out and tap the trunion without a problem.

    Tap VERY slow and use lots of cutting oil, back off the tap every quarter turn at least. Ask me how I know.
    ...teach your children well...

    Comment

    • #3
      slickjoesd
      Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 198

      yeah thats what the paper i have says about being slow..... I center punched my 1st one and started drilling, but the damn bit went off center. any sugestions?
      You sink em, we save em. Support your local search & rescue..... GET LOST sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        wayoutwest
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2003
        • 727

        center punch deeper, pre-drill all the holes with a much smaller bit they go up in size to the one you need.
        ...teach your children well...

        Comment

        • #5
          slickjoesd
          Member
          • Dec 2005
          • 198

          thanks for your help! I am going to hold off till i get some better bits.
          You sink em, we save em. Support your local search & rescue..... GET LOST sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            triaged
            Member
            • Feb 2004
            • 415

            What you want to start the holes is a center drill. Spin them somewhat fast and feed them slow. Because they are so short they won't deflect like a normal twist drill does.



            To start the tap chuck it up in your drill press and turn the pulley by hand (DO NOT POWER IT IN). Once you get it started straight you can go to the tap handle.
            Last edited by triaged; 03-24-2006, 12:19 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              superhondaz50
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 3108

              Tap VERY slow and use lots of cutting oil, back off the tap every quarter turn at least. Ask me how I know.
              Hey way out west, did you use a bottoming tap for your build, or did you modify a standard tap by grinding down the tip to make a bottoming tap, or did you do something different? So what happens when you tap to fast, i'd like to hear the story
              Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
              A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

              Comment

              • #8
                wayoutwest
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2003
                • 727

                Originally posted by superhondaz50
                Hey way out west, did you use a bottoming tap for your build, or did you modify a standard tap by grinding down the tip to make a bottoming tap, or did you do something different? So what happens when you tap to fast, i'd like to hear the story
                I happen to have a press so I didnt need a bottoming tap but I bought one anyways, I had tapped the front trunion without any troubles, started on the rear, was working on the last hole, not paying attention, not backing off and the tap broke off inside the rear block. SO I am still trying to get it out. The materal the tap is made of is very hard.

                ...teach your children well...

                Comment

                • #9
                  superhondaz50
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3108

                  Were did you get your bottomin tap? I am trying to find one locally.
                  Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
                  A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CowtownBallin
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 518

                    would it work if I just grind the heads off the rivets and punch them through?
                    -Miran
                    Resident Yugo expert

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Builder
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 565

                      I drilled out all of the rivets in the parts kit with an undersize drill and then progressed to slightly larger ones until they came out. I first flattened the tops of the rivets a little with a grinder. This resulted in no damage to any of the reusable parts.
                      Thanks,
                      Builder
                      Big boy's toys; turning hydrocarbons into noise!
                      Liberals & children have a similar reaction of interpreting limits as confinement rather than safety.
                      It's a fine line between naive, ignorant, stupid, & idiot.
                      Tomorrow - the greatest labor saving device of today.
                      "Rapid adoption of large-scale societal change is a bad idea." - Howard Johnson
                      sigpicLife Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Pablo
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 657

                        Originally posted by slickjoesd
                        Ps someone told me there is videos on the net somewhere, but i cant seem to find them.... anyone have a link?
                        Not a video but it has a lot of pics! I hope it helps:


                        The original thread:

                        Comment

                        • #13

                          Originally posted by CowtownBallin
                          would it work if I just grind the heads off the rivets and punch them through?
                          sometimes. sometimes they don't just go thru, esp. the rear trunnion rivets.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            superhondaz50
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 3108

                            I just finished my build. Some holes on the NDS werent lined up, but it worked out ok. Hey wayoutwest, the hole your tap broke in was the same one I almost broke my tap in. I think that hole tapers as you go down which causes problems. As for the trunion holes, I dont know what everyone is talking about, mine taped like a knife going though butter. How many rounds do you have through your gun?
                            Last edited by superhondaz50; 03-30-2006, 2:27 PM.
                            Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
                            A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TheMan
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 766

                              Originally posted by glen avon
                              sometimes. sometimes they don't just go thru, esp. the rear trunnion rivets.
                              This was what I found as well. I was able to punch the short rivets through after cutting their heads off. But the long ones on the front and rear trunion, I had to drill all the way through, before I could then punch them out.

                              The centering drill saved my *** on a couple of those rivets, one of these is a must have.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1