Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Completed first AR lower, question about trigger roll pin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Magix
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 551

    Completed first AR lower, question about trigger roll pin

    I completed my first AR lower today. Took 2.5 hours. Learned a lot and had a couple nervous moments but everything worked out in the end thanks to countless online videos and tutorials.

    Can anyone tell me a better way to install the trigger guard roll pin? That was PITA to install! I used a PSA LPK if that makes a difference. From the picture I marred the finish a bit around the hole so I'm wondering if I should do something else on the next build. The roll pin seemed a bit large.



    Also, the safety detent pin in the PSA kit was too large or the Riflegear lower hole was too small. Either way, I had to sand down the detent pin so it would drop in the hole and allow the selector to rotate properly. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

    Other than those two instances, the build went smoothly. Helpful tip I learned if you don't have a roll pin starter punch - just tape the roll pin to the tip of the roll pin punch, it's like having a third hand. Lastly, use LOTS of tape!


    Last edited by Magix; 10-17-2012, 9:23 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • #2
    bigdrunk92037
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 738

    Never had a problem with ANY detent pin. That sounds strange? Regarding the trigger guard pin, I have installed a handful of LPK's from Palmetto. Call me crazy, but I think their pins go in the worse than any I have ever used. Now, I throw them away and spend the $1 to buy coil style pin (Parallax Tactical sells them). I think RRA is who makes them. Basically, since its a coil, the diameter has a little give so they are very easy to pound in (but not so easy they will come out).

    I also use the same type pin for the bolt catch. Speaking of which, if you are going to build another lower, get this punch. Pays for itself quickly.

    Last edited by bigdrunk92037; 10-17-2012, 9:32 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Hughes500Pilot
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 59

      Get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Use a Q-Tip and dab some on the area where you marred the aluminum. You will never be able to tell it was messed up. -Steve

      Comment

      • #4
        Bushmonkey92
        Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 155

        Happened to me too using the PSA kit, the roll pin was too large. Tried to shrink it but couldn't. I was fuming and cussing trying to get the thing in. Now the end of the roll pin is sticking out a bit and smushed. oh well. See if I can get a replacement and do it over again.

        Comment

        • #5
          0351USMC
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 2262

          Brownelll sell roll pin starter punch.

          Comment

          • #6
            tanakasan
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 1638

            Squish the starting end just a tad and be sure to oil it and start it straight! Nice lookin' lower there!

            Robert
            WTB/WTT

            Comment

            • #7
              Chaos47
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2010
              • 6615

              I say a prayer, oil the pin and hole, say a prayer, use a larger punch to start, say a prayer, switch to a smaller punch and yup pray some more

              First one I ever did was super stressful.

              Oh and making sure the under sides ear is supported is essential!

              IMO it was much harder to do the couple magpul guards I've done then the LWRC guard I did last time. I think the Magpuls hole might be slightly undersized and the PSA pin slightly over-sized.

              Comment

              • #8
                Magix
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 551

                Great tips guys! Really appreciate it. I'll get the coil pins next time and try out the aluminum black finish.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                Comment

                • #9
                  2shotjoe
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 26702

                  Originally posted by Hughes500Pilot
                  Get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Use a Q-Tip and dab some on the area where you marred the aluminum. You will never be able to tell it was messed up. -Steve

                  Thanks, i made a big scratch putting in the pin for the bho.

                  Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
                  Originally posted by Libertarian777
                  ...Don't pick either side....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Magix
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 551

                    bigdrunk, the detent pin did fit but was so tight it got stuck! I couldn't move the selector at all and I'm lucky I even got it back out.

                    Hopefully this was an anomaly and the next one I get is easier. Maybe I'll try the Daniel Defense LPK, I hear good things about it.
                    Last edited by Magix; 03-11-2013, 5:24 PM.
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      a308garand
                      Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 303

                      Use a drill bit. Turning it using your fingers to lightly correct the detent hole. Sometimes the holes have a little rough spots, probably due to finishing.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Enfield47
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 6385

                        Excellent tips guys. I will keep this in mind when I build my lower.

                        BTW, nice job on the lower Magix. I like the two tone look.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          xtian13
                          Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 105

                          help! i also used a PSA LPK to build my stag lower. everything was perfect except for the trigger guard roll pin that is right next to the magazine well. it's a magpul trigger guard.

                          roll pin looks to be at least half way in. what's my best option here?

                          pulling it out some how sounds difficult. so does taking a dremel to it any ideas? everything else is perfect...just this.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Magix
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 551

                            xtian, the Magpul trigger guard has a small screw to secure the magwell side, not a roll pin. You should have a 1/16" Allen key to install it. Hope this helps.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              xtian13
                              Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 105

                              Originally posted by Magix
                              xtian, the Magpul trigger guard has a small screw to secure the magwell side, not a roll pin. You should have a 1/16" Allen key to install it. Hope this helps.
                              bahaha...total fail. thanks. have no idea where the screw is. maybe i lost it when taking the LPK out of the bag.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1