Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger 556 "E"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • calif 15-22
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2012
    • 6033

    Ruger 556 "E"

    Looking to add another rifle to the safe and came across the Ruger 556 "E" version. Now I know it's not chromed lined bolt or barrel etc, but just wanted to get some input from anyone that actually owns one or has used one.

    I know there are dozens of other brands (I have a DDM4 V4 now), but wanted to hear from anyone that specifically owns or has shot the Ruger 556 "E" version and what their thoughts are on this specific AR

    Thanks in advance . . .
    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
    Originally posted by Hoooper
    Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
    sigpic
  • #2
    cfusionpm
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 2926

    Over 2,000 rounds through mine. I love it. I've posted a number of times how satisfied I've been with it.

    Pros:
    Piston design
    Reliable
    Easy to clean (cleaner BCG and front piston removes quick and easy)
    Adjustable gas system
    Pretty good price if bought on sale
    Cons
    Piston design
    Front heavy
    Lots of proprietary pieces
    Goofy mini 14 flash hider

    I can post more (and pictures) when I'm off my phone and back home from work later on.

    Comment

    • #3
      cfusionpm
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 2926

      Oh and as far as how the E differs from the standard, it has a proprietary slim, build your own hand guard that you can attach rail pieces or hand covers to. Also lacks BUIS out of box, and as you stated, no chrome bcg.

      Comment

      • #4
        send it_hit
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2454

        does that model have the permanent muzzle device too? that'd be the only big drawback for me...

        Comment

        • #5
          cfusionpm
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 2926

          Nope. 16" barrel. I swapped out the flash hider for a battlecomp.

          Comment

          • #6
            rogervzv
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 2087

            I selected the Ruger SR556E and really like it. I did not want the quad rail due to weight. I added just the lower rail so that I could attach a sling and forward grip to it, and this configuration works fine for me. I also added the Troy battlesights.

            The rifle is very accurate and dependable. And easy to clean and maintain!

            Come and Take It!
            I'm the only hell my momma ever raised ...

            Comment

            • #7
              calif 15-22
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2012
              • 6033

              Originally posted by rogervzv
              I selected the Ruger SR556E and really like it. I did not want the quad rail due to weight. I added just the lower rail so that I could attach a sling and forward grip to it, and this configuration works fine for me. I also added the Troy battlesights.

              The rifle is very accurate and dependable. And easy to clean and maintain!

              That is one nice looking AR sir . . .

              Thanks for all the info. I may pull the trigger on one as I'm looking to have my DDM4 dedicated as a scope gun and wanted another one to run my Aimpoint Pro on.

              Thanks again guys . . .
              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
              It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
              Originally posted by Hoooper
              Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                JohnZ
                Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 274

                Originally posted by cfusionpm
                Over 2,000 rounds through mine. I love it. I've posted a number of times how satisfied I've been with it.

                Pros:
                Piston design
                Reliable
                Easy to clean (cleaner BCG and front piston removes quick and easy)
                Adjustable gas system
                Pretty good price if bought on sale
                Cons
                Piston design
                Front heavy
                Lots of proprietary pieces
                Goofy mini 14 flash hider

                I can post more (and pictures) when I'm off my phone and back home from work later on.


                I notice that you have the "Piston Design" listed as both a pro and a con. Is there a specific reason for this, or do you just prefer DI guns? Wanted to know if there is something wrong the design specifically.

                Comment

                • #9
                  myk
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 5955

                  I've got one as well. As the other posters have said, you can't go wrong with it, although it IS front heavy, and those Ruger only pieces might be a problem down the road...


                  I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JohnZ
                    Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 274

                    I was thinking about getting the Ruger CLA, which should be at least a little less front heavy than the E. I like the slick rail system, keep it simple. Aren't pretty much all the piston guns from the different manufacturers a little different? No matter which piston system you go with, it won't be interchangeable with any other system.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mrvash
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 2309

                      How much are these rifles?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        roushstage2
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 2782

                        MSRP is $1,375. You can probably find it around $1,000 or so I'd imagine.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          myk
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 5955

                          Turner's has it on sale right now for $1100...


                          I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1