Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Melonite VS Chrome

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • resident-shooter
    Banned
    • Sep 2009
    • 2777

    Melonite VS Chrome

    I was looking at M&P 15 rifles today and noticed that OP model is $150 more than sport and the only difference was that OP model had a different upper with more chrome. Is there a significant difference?
  • #2
    cabinetguy
    Release the Cabinets!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Sep 2010
    • 12659

    melotanite is fine, there are specific needs for a chrome lined barrel, and most of us will never get to that point.

    Comment

    • #3
      SB30
      Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 103

      Another difference may be the dust cover. I don't think the sport comes with one.

      Comment

      • #4
        resident-shooter
        Banned
        • Sep 2009
        • 2777

        hmm looks like an average user wouldnt need any of the extras then

        Comment

        • #5
          WASR10
          • Aug 2011
          • 2455

          The M&P15 Sport is an excellent rifle
          Mark 16:16

          Comment

          • #6
            resident-shooter
            Banned
            • Sep 2009
            • 2777

            I don't doubt that, but how how much better if any, is OP model?

            Comment

            • #7
              SB30
              Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 103

              I just picked up an OP today. it was on sale. I figured the dust cover alone was worth it. Hunting small game in the brush and dirt.

              Comment

              • #8
                WASR10
                • Aug 2011
                • 2455

                Some of the more expensive M&P15 models have chrome lined barrels instead of melonite, have dust covers, forward assists, and maybe different sights or lack there of, and a 1 in 9 barrel twist as opposed to the Sport's 1 in 8. None of it a big deal for my personal taste.
                Mark 16:16

                Comment

                • #9
                  resident-shooter
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 2777

                  me see....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mail Clerk
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 2324

                    Originally posted by resident-shooter
                    I was looking at M&P 15 rifles today and noticed that OP model is $150 more than sport and the only difference was that OP model had a different upper with more chrome. Is there a significant difference?
                    I read an article recently regarding Melonite usage by Smith and Wesson. For myself I usually prefer the chrome but Melonite is suppose to be a cheaper method over chrome. The article continued to say that Melonite is just as good if not a little better than chrome. Based on this I wouldn't mind one myself for my AR-15 collection. I think you should too.

                    Mail Clerk

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      resident-shooter
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 2777

                      Do u mind posting a link to the article? All I could find on other forums so far has been FUD, FUD, and a ton more FUD. Thanks

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Outta Control
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 2383

                        Here is one:




                        I say that the increased reduction in friction or drag coefficient in the barrel can result in a better controlled spin for the bullet.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
                        George Orwell

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          resident-shooter
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 2777

                          Thanks. Interesting read.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MrPlink
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 12532

                            The basic argument is melonite has less negative effect on rifling, which makes for better precision and accuracy, while chrome makes for better barrel life.
                            Counterpoint: howmuch more precision gained is arguable, esp on a platform that is a non-precision set up as is. And for chrome, the increased barrel life is only in context to the extreme strain created by sustained full auto fire, which is moot for your average shooter.
                            Conclusion: you are fine either way
                            The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

                            disclaimer:
                            everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              FeuerFrei
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 7455

                              Melonite science here

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1