Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just a thought...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Atmosphere
    Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 334

    Just a thought...

    Why not produce M1 carbines in .357 .44 and .50 ae? I mean the .30 carbine is only slightly longer than these rounds so a carbine in these calibers is not far fetched. And these calibers would add increased firepower in a semi auto package to rival the lever guns in some of these calibers. Also isn't the rim of the .44 and .50ae the same which would lend itself to using the same bolt? I know that desert eagle can utilize all three rounds with the change of a barrel if I recall correctly. Plus add a black synthetic stock and a railed upper hand guard like the one fulton offers and now you have a black tacticool rifle that is california legal and uses these common loads. Would such an idea fly or would it be a moot point? Feel free to pitch this idea to Auto Ordinance, Fulton, or whomever I don't care to take credit. Just hoping to maybe inspire someone to produce such a beast and widen the choice range.
  • #2
    VegasND
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 8621

    Long ago, when M1 carbines were plentiful and cheap, there was a company that converted them to .44 mag pump rifles. But, nobody makes/has available cheap carbines any more. If someone were to tool up to make these anew, prices would all too likely be prohibitive.

    However, should you find investors, put me down for one...

    I'm still waiting for a Hi-Point carbine in .45 ACP
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
    --River Tam

    Comment

    • #3
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57179

      There was another company converting them into 45 winmags.
      The 45 winmag will single-stack in a regular carbine mag.

      I think the main reason you don't see the rimmed cartridges mentioned above is because they won't feed from regular M1 carbine mags.
      If they won't feed, people won't buy the conversions...

      Look at how the rimmed rounds stack in an SMLE mag.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #4
        Atmosphere
        Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 334

        Well looks like .50ae would be the choice since it has a rebated rim and would solve the stacking issue (which begs the question, how does .357 and .44 stack in the DE mag?). Although I dont know if the original M1 carbine mag is double stacked and can handle the width of the 50. I guess this concept would be a pipe dream at best unless there is an alternative caliber that could be easily accommodated to run in the carbine. What about lengthen 10mm?

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57179

          Originally posted by Atmosphere
          how does .357 and .44 stack in the DE mag
          At an angle, just like an SMLE.
          Carbines feed with the top round sitting straight.
          Desert Eagles feed with the top round pointing slightly upwards.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1