Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1 more AR15 thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nor Cal Guy
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 143

    1 more AR15 thread

    Ive decided to pick up a AR and after doing a few days research I realized i dont know jack about Ar's

    So im looking for any suggestions on what i should pick up, but more importantly why.

    Ive decided on a AR since one of my all time favorite guns to shot was my fathers Mini-14, so was looking for a .223 rifle. I picked the AR since ive shot a bushmaster and liked the feel of it and also loved the AR look.

    I dont plan on shooting any thing over 100 yards or so, I like close fast target accusation. So figure ill be putting on some type of red dot etc.. scope but not many if at all magnification. I will be plinking with it to, but yet again at close range.

    The 3 ive found and like are as follows

    1. lmt cqb mrp


    2. S&W m&p15t


    3. Colt SP6940



    Im sure all 3 are more then adequate for what i want, but was wondering if theres any others i should look at as well and any +/- that come to mind.

    As it is im leaning towards the LMT but no one around me carries them but can order easily, the S&W ive seen at shops around me so thats a plus, and the colt i haven't found much on at all.

    Just trying to finalize my thoughts be for i pull the trigger on one of them.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Guy; 01-14-2012, 12:55 AM.
  • #2
    Nor Cal Guy
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 143

    ehh i think i just needed think about it, i want the LMT so now i have to see if i can get the extra cash up for it.

    Comment

    • #3
      FNH5-7
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2009
      • 9407

      Out of the ones you listed I'd go with the LMT. The S&W and the colt are along the same price range.

      In order I'd get:

      1. LMT(because it's a piston, you can go longer without cleaning)
      2. S&W(already has a free float rail)
      3. Colt(most basic out of the 3)
      Last edited by FNH5-7; 01-14-2012, 1:08 AM.
      Originally posted by FalconLair
      I weep for my country and what it is becoming.

      Comment

      • #4
        Norcal Industries
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 1241

        where are you located? some stores in sacramento carry lmt.

        Comment

        • #5
          Nor Cal Guy
          Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 143

          Chico CA, I was going to call TDS tomorrow since they where listed as a authorized dealer with LMT but ill look for any in sac, and maybe find one in stock.

          Comment

          • #6
            pacifico23
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 2708

            You know you want the LMT, get it. Every other one you would be excited over but second guessing not getting the LMT. You wont be second guessing your LMT purchase

            Comment

            • #7
              Norcal Industries
              Senior Member
              • May 2010
              • 1241

              worst case, call robby at goldenstate tactical. hell at least have a complete lower, and then you can order the upper later. only thing you lose is the manual, and you dont need it.

              Comment

              • #8
                jasonnorcal
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 1297

                LMT rocks man, but I wouldn't get the piston version. Just get the regular 1. I'm going shooting tomorrow in Oroville, pm me if you want to meet up and shoot. I've got a 16" BCM with an Aimpoint you can try out
                Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

                Originally posted by Chuntsman949
                does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

                Comment

                • #9
                  negolien
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 4829

                  build your own

                  You might think about New Frontier Armories G-Tach upper or another completed upper and then just getting your own lower. Very nice weapon for the price vs a completed name brand rifle and very simple to put together. It's also good putting you're own together to familiarize yourself with the weapon. It's not nearly as hard as you would think.

                  As a PS TDS is very helpfull and has great CS but to be honest they are very expensive. As much as I dislike Sac Black Rifle you could probably get a lower from them cheaper and then just buy an upper from one of the vendors here. Do a price comparison of lowers at both shops and don't go with the $200 stocks for your 1st build it's not necassary unless you're rich lol. I paid under $450 shipped for my 18" upper


                  Last edited by negolien; 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM. Reason: side note
                  "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                  George Orwell

                  http://www.AnySoldier.com

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    drifter001
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 2195

                    now with that being said have u considered building?
                    Fir Na Tine

                    http://www.socalsubies.com/?referrerid=5243

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FNH5-7
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 9407

                      Originally posted by jasonnorcal
                      LMT rocks man, but I wouldn't get the piston version. Just get the regular 1.
                      Why?
                      Originally posted by FalconLair
                      I weep for my country and what it is becoming.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jasonnorcal
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 1297

                        Lots of reasons. More weight, less accurate, more $. Google piston vs. DI & you'll see its a huge debate. People say you can get away with less cleaning with a piston, I clean my DI Ar's about once a year now & I shoot about 300 rounds a month. Now just wait for the piston guys to chime in
                        Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

                        Originally posted by Chuntsman949
                        does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Nor Cal Guy
                          Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 143

                          ya i admit i wanted the piston since i was lead to believe it would be a much cleaner system, and why im good about cleaning my weapons. i often go about 2 times before a clean and thats around 500-700 rounds id say (with my pistols) the AR id assume will be higher but not much since cost of ammo is usually what gets me to leave the range.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            freonr22
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 12948

                            Sig?
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by dantodd
                            We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                            Originally posted by bwiese
                            They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                            Originally posted by louisianagirl
                            Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jasonnorcal
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 1297

                              I hear good things about Riflegear uppers. You'd have to order it online, but they're in socal so it gets here in like 2 days regular shipping. Bcm and Daniel Defense are good if you want more of a name brand.If you want the most.expensive rifle on the range get a Noveske.
                              Homer Simpson gun safety: "This is the trigger, and THIS is the part you point at whatever you want to die..."

                              Originally posted by Chuntsman949
                              does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1