Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mini 14 Range Report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • maxicon
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4661

    Mini 14 Range Report

    I picked up a used Mini 14 Ranch Rifle recently, and got a chance to take it out for the first of a series of tests this week.

    It's a 196 series, made in 2000, that should have a 1-9" twist, but I haven't checked with Ruger (they've changed twists a few times on Minis). It's been banged around a bit, and the stock has some dings, but the metal and bluing are good, and there's not much wear on the guts. It was not too expensive, and that's the way I like them!

    It came with some slightly abused ranch rifle rings (one had about a half-tube of Loctite in it), but they're sturdy enough, so I used them to mount a Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 that's a pretty good workhorse - bright, solid, and reliable.

    I have a couple of scout mounts for it - an Amega and an Ultimak - and these are supposed to help accuracy by stiffening up the barrel and changing the harmonics, so I figured I'd test out that theory.

    First trip was as-is, with the scope and rings, to get some basic groups. Next, I'll install the Ultimak and see if it makes any difference, using the same scope and rings. After that, I'll try the Amega, and figure out which one to leave on. I've got a couple of ranch rifle receiver rails that I'll check out sometime in the future, on this and my PC9.

    So, off to the range on a cool, calm day, with a pile of PMC 223 55 gr FMJ-BT and Federal Gold Medal 223 69 gr Sierra Matchking BTHP. I sighted it in at 25 yards with the PMC, and it was pretty close, only taking 10 rounds to get it pretty well centered in the black.

    First set of groups was at 50 yards, then out to 100 yards. I used the NRA 50 yard smallbore rifle targets with about a 4" center. I always shoot 10 rounds per group, since that seems like a realistic indicator of just how well a rifle shoots. The scope was on 9x the whole time.

    50 yards:
    PMC 55 gr - 2.5"
    Gold Medal 69 gr - 2.25", 7" high (!), 2" to the right relative to the first group.

    100 yards:
    PMC 55 gr - 5"
    Gold Medal 69 gr - 4.5", 15" high (!!), 4.5" to the right relative to the first group.

    Whoa! With the 69 gr, I was shooting at the bottom targets, and hitting the top ones! I was pretty surprised at how far off the POI was, especially high, for the 69 gr ammo shot compared to the 55 gr. It's pretty clear there's not much point in feeding this one the expensive stuff, but I'll keep it up as a reference. I should have brought a wider variety of ammo, but I'll try that for next time.

    As a shooter, it was good. No reliability problems, but it bounced the brass off of the scope adjustment cover and left brass marks on the outside of the charging handle(see pics below). Some of the brass got pretty dinged up (and some looked fine), and it looks like it may have been bouncing off the scope and into the moving handle, but I'll have to watch next time. I've never seen a Mini do this, but I haven't shot them a whole lot, either. It also whacked me in the forehead with a few pieces of brass.

    I used both a Ruger 5 round mag and a Masen 10 round mag, and both fed fine, though the Masen didn't lock back the bolt when empty on about 1 out of 5 loads.

    All in all, it's a fun gun, but the accuracy is bad enough that it's not *too* much fun. I'm going to try a variety of inexpensive Mini accuracy tricks and see what helps, but I'm not planning on spending much on it. Overall, I have to say I like my SU16 a heck of a lot more so far.

    max





    Last edited by maxicon; 10-26-2005, 11:53 PM.
    sigpic
    NRA Life Member
  • #2
    C.G.
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8251

    Originally posted by maxicon
    I picked up a used Mini 14 Ranch Rifle recently, and got a chance to take it out for the first of a series of tests this week.

    It's a 196 series, made in 2000, that should have a 1-9" twist, but I haven't checked with Ruger (they've changed twists a few times on Minis). It's been banged around a bit, and the stock has some dings, but the metal and bluing are good, and there's not much wear on the guts. It was not too expensive, and that's the way I like them!

    It came with some slightly abused ranch rifle rings (one had about a half-tube of Loctite in it), but they're sturdy enough, so I used them to mount a Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 that's a pretty good workhorse - bright, solid, and reliable.

    I have a couple of scout mounts for it - an Amega and an Ultimak - and these are supposed to help accuracy by stiffening up the barrel and changing the harmonics, so I figured I'd test out that theory.

    First trip was as-is, with the scope and rings, to get some basic groups. Next, I'll install the Ultimak and see if it makes any difference, using the same scope and rings. After that, I'll try the Amega, and figure out which one to leave on. I've got a couple of ranch rifle receiver rails that I'll check out sometime in the future, on this and my PC9.

    So, off to the range on a cool, calm day, with a pile of PMC 223 55 gr FMJ-BT and Federal Gold Medal 223 69 gr Sierra Matchking BTHP. I sighted it in at 25 yards with the PMC, and it was pretty close, only taking 10 rounds to get it pretty well centered in the black.

    First set of groups was at 50 yards, then out to 100 yards. I used the NRA 50 yard smallbore rifle targets with about a 4" center. I always shoot 10 rounds per group, since that seems like a realistic indicator of just how well a rifle shoots. The scope was on 9x the whole time.

    50 yards:
    PMC 55 gr - 2.5"
    Gold Medal 69 gr - 2.25", 7" high (!), 2" to the right relative to the first group.

    100 yards:
    PMC 55 gr - 5"
    Gold Medal 69 gr - 4.5", 15" high (!!), 4.5" to the right relative to the first group.

    Whoa! With the 69 gr, I was shooting at the bottom targets, and hitting the top ones! I was pretty surprised at how far off the POI was, especially high, for the 69 gr ammo shot compared to the 55 gr. It's pretty clear there's not much point in feeding this one the expensive stuff, but I'll keep it up as a reference. I should have brought a wider variety of ammo, but I'll try that for next time.

    As a shooter, it was good. No reliability problems, but it bounced the brass off of the scope adjustment cover and left brass marks on the outside of the charging handle(see pics below). Some of the brass got pretty dinged up (and some looked fine), and it looks like it may have been bouncing off the scope and into the moving handle, but I'll have to watch next time. I've never seen a Mini do this, but I haven't shot them a whole lot, either. It also whacked me in the forehead with a few pieces of brass.

    I used both a Ruger 5 round mag and a Masen 10 round mag, and both fed fine, though the Masen didn't lock back the bolt when empty on about 1 out of 5 loads.

    All in all, it's a fun gun, but the accuracy is bad enough that it's not *too* much fun. I'm going to try a variety of inexpensive Mini accuracy tricks and see what helps, but I'm not planning on spending much on it. Overall, I have to say I like my SU16 a heck of a lot more so far.

    max





    That has been my problem with the Mini-14, aside the mags; that is why I never bought one and bought an SU instead. Good review, had I written one it would pretty much concur with yours.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      saki302
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 7191

      Remember, the mini has a pencil-thin barel, and different ammo may 'whip' it to a different position when firing much more than an AR heavy bbl.

      For what it's designed (a lightweight 100yd ranch gun) it works well- jsut don't expect a match gun! I've had 100% reliability on mine- even better than the AR's when they get dirty- the mini just keeps ticking. I just don't bother trying to shoot groups with it
      There are ways to accurize a mini, but it's easier to just buy a more accurate rifle in the first place (and cheaper!). I've been waiting a long time to see if they'd introduce a heavy-bbl mini-14, but Ruger never did.
      As a defensive arm, the Mini would look better in court than the SU-16 also- it has that 'country flavor'

      -Dave

      Comment

      • #4
        PanzerAce
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4262

        Originally posted by saki302
        As a defensive arm, the Mini would look better in court than the SU-16 also- it has that 'country flavor'

        -Dave
        plus, it doesnt have that one feature that the courts dont like: lots of exposed synthetic parts that are black .
        "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order"
        -Ed Howdershelt


        Originally posted by hossb7
        HK is the best $500 gun you can get for $1,000

        Comment

        • #5
          capitol
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2503

          maxicon,
          Very nice right up. I'm getting ready to send my mini in to ASI for some upgrades.

          Comment

          • #6
            Matt-man
            Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 343

            Originally posted by maxicon
            It's a 196 series, made in 2000, that should have a 1-9" twist, but I haven't checked with Ruger (they've changed twists a few times on Minis).
            It's not too hard to check this yourself. You just need a cleaning rod that has a swiveling head (like almost all of them do now). Fit the cleaning rod with a tight-fitting patch, and push it just into the bore. Make a mark on the cleaning rod. Then push the rod down the bore and watch the mark you made. When the mark has made one complete revolution, measure how far you pushed the rod and that gives you your twist rate. If the rod makes one turn in 9", then you've got a 1 in 9 twist.
            Somebody wake up Hicks.

            Comment

            • #7
              Equalizer
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 45

              Mini 14

              I am purchasing a Mini, please do us all a favor and let us know how you like a scout scope compared to a standard scope. I've never tried a scout scope and I have wondered whether I would like them or not. Thanks for the review, I don't think the Mini is for everyone and if I didn't live in Ca. I wouldn't buy one either however for my purposes I think it's the best.
              Bill

              Comment

              • #8
                Equalizer
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 45

                Mini 14

                Oop's forgot something, I have gone to Perfect Union are there any other sites that specialize in the Mini.
                Bill

                Comment

                • #9
                  bwiese
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 27621

                  Originally posted by saki302
                  the mini has a pencil-thin barel, and different ammo may 'whip' it to a different position when firing much more than an AR heavy bbl.
                  Well some ARs have 'pencil' bbls too (Colt Sporter lightweights, and the orig M16A1 bbls) and they are still lots more accurate than Mini14s. Some SKSes w/US-mfgd Winchester 7.62x39 ammo do somewhat better than 5" @ 100yds.

                  And the std AR15 'government profile (M16A2) barrel is thin under the handguards; just stiffer/heavier up front for balance and lack of tweaking when bayonet attached/used.

                  I've had 100% reliability on mine- even better than the AR's when they get dirty- the mini just keeps ticking.
                  I and many others have run tons of dirty ammo thru an AR in one day with zero problems. I've taken then same gun out, uncleaned, the week after (after everything's solidified) and run another big batch of ammo thru it. Again, no problems. The only thing I did each time was ensure proper lube of bolt + carrier and behind bolt lugs, etc.

                  When I hear about AR reliability problems, I'm sure the user's not lubing gun properly (and/or has a really tight so-called 'match' chamber and non-chrome-lined barrel, and/or is using crappy outta-spec reloads. Some of my AR friends have reported doing 3000-4000 rounds in a weekend without cleaning, just with a bit of BreakFree CLP lube added here & there.

                  A 5+" rifle - before shooter & ammo are factored in - is, well, just atrocious.

                  Now, perhaps this Mini14 might like lighter ammo. Try some 45 or 50gr varmint ammo and see how it does.

                  There are ways to accurize a mini, but it's easier to just buy a more accurate rifle in the first place (and cheaper!). I've been waiting a long time to see if they'd introduce a heavy-bbl mini-14, but Ruger never did.
                  For a couple of hundred bucks you can throw on a new bbl - Accuracy Systems in Odessa, TX, I believe - that's more accurate.

                  One of the other limits of Mini14 design is the bolt system. Loose, rotates too much - esp compared to the far limited rotation of an AR15 bolt to lock/unlock. Less motion/less time => more accuracy.


                  Bill Wiese
                  San Jose

                  Bill Wiese
                  San Jose, CA

                  CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member
                  sigpic
                  No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
                  to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
                  ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
                  employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
                  legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    joel1316
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 1086

                    Originally posted by Technical Ted
                    And you can testify: "It was used by the A Team. They were the good guys man!"
                    They couldn't hit any of the bad guys too!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      saki302
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7191

                      Bill-

                      The dirt problems I've had were with Wolf ammo- after firing around 1K rounds, the entire bolt and carrier get so fouled up, the action gets real slow, and fails to lock sometimes. I ONLY have this problem with Wolf ammo. My AR bolt and carrier are hard chromed, with chrome lined barrel also. Pulling out the bolt and wiping down/re-oiling fixes this, but the cleaning is definitely necessary.

                      The mini will eat this ammo up all day (it's the design of the gas system- the Mini/AK doesn't blast crap into the action). I've gotten fairly decent groups out of mine *for a Mini* (3" at best) with optics.

                      I have a 'thin' M16A1 upper to play with also- I think that barrel is still thicker than the Mini

                      I definitely wouldn't use the AR as a defensive weapon in this state even though I have 2- that would not be a good day in court!

                      -Dave

                      Comment

                      • #12

                        Maxicon it's HEUER, saw this on perfect union bbs:

                        A simple way to improve the accuracy of your Mini-14 or Mini-30


                        might be interesting - HEUER

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          maxicon
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4661

                          Originally posted by HEUER
                          Maxicon it's HEUER, saw this on perfect union bbs:

                          A simple way to improve the accuracy of your Mini-14 or Mini-30


                          might be interesting - HEUER
                          That does look interesting, and I'll try one out if it's not too expensive. Only problem is the availability - Summer 2005 - which is receding as we speak. It's a good web site, though, with lots of good Mini accuracy info on it.

                          One of the problems here is that there are many theories about what causes the Mini's inaccuracies, and not a lot of hard data proving which is correct. I'm hoping to get a little of that myself, and this strut would help that exercise a lot.

                          Originally posted by bwiese
                          Well some ARs have 'pencil' bbls too (Colt Sporter lightweights, and the orig M16A1 bbls) and they are still lots more accurate than Mini14s.
                          My SU16A also has a thin and flexible barrel, but I haven't compared measurements to the Mini (sounds like a good project for tonight!).

                          Last time I measured groups on the SU16, I was comparing XM193 and 69 gr Gold Medal, and they both shot to a similar POI, with the Gold Medal giving obviously smaller groups. I'm going to re-try this test on the Mini with XM193 thrown in the mix to see if there's a difference there. I don't have any sub-55 gr ammo, but I may try to round up a few hundred rounds before I take it out again.

                          I'll also take the SU16 along for a second set of data points. I took it this time, but I forgot my bag-o-scopes , and didn't have sights on the SU16. I'm not good enough with iron sights to compare to a scoped gun anyway.

                          I'll give it this - it's a great project for a data-driven gun nerd!

                          max
                          sigpic
                          NRA Life Member

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1