Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Socom 16 Eotech?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 626Tony
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1828

    Socom 16 Eotech?

    I was wondering which model EOtech model to throw on my socom 16 I have a JAE stock on it and it kind of rises above the sights.
    Don't forget you can get it too....FOR A PRICE!!
  • #2
    aplinker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2007
    • 16762

    Originally posted by tony45
    I was wondering which model EOtech model to throw on my socom 16 I have a JAE stock on it and it kind of rises above the sights.
    EOTechs (511, 512, 551, 552) are made to co-witness with irons on an AR flat-top. The 553 will be even taller -- it's designed for bottom 1/3 co-witness. I would say you'll be just about right with that stock, perhaps even a little high for the EOTech. With your original stock you'd definitely need a cheek riser.

    Google Map of OLL Dealers

    List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
    Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
    This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

    Comment

    • #3
      ZombieKiller
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • 2555

      Would an Aimpoint work better with the Socom then?
      "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory...."

      Comment

      • #4
        odysseus
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2005
        • 10407

        A Socom with the JAE stock on it. That's kind of a heavy scout rifle, but anyway you have a cheek rest built into that stock. Never seen someone setup that way, but certainly you have your choice of the eotech or one of the aimpoints to think of, or even a Dr. Optics or something like that. If you are using the Smith Ent. mount, you can duck down to your irons a little. Whatever works for you.
        "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

        The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
        - John Adams

        http://www.usdebtclock.org/

        Comment

        • #5
          aplinker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2007
          • 16762

          Only one way to know for certain... try it and see.

          Aimpoints are adjustable (sort of) as they use a ring mount. I kinda like the look of an Aimpoint on the M1A, too. I've switched back and forth about 10 times with my SOCOM, too.

          Where are you? I'm sure there's a shop around that you can pop an EOTech on, if not, if you're in LA, you can use mine... The EOTech is just a much nicer optic. I love the "reticle."



          Originally posted by ZombieKiller
          Would an Aimpoint work better with the Socom then?

          Google Map of OLL Dealers

          List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
          Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
          This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

          Comment

          • #6
            ZombieKiller
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 2555

            uclaplinker....i'm San Diego......but I appreciate the offer- Thanks!!

            I pick up my Socom from DGM in about 5 days....I just trying to decide between the Eotech and the Aimpoint- i did like the reticle on the Eotech though (as you mentioned), I was just worried about needing a cheek riser with the original stock as I read somewhere above...Did you put one on?
            "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory...."

            Comment

            • #7
              aplinker
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2007
              • 16762

              Are you getting the JAE stock with it already?

              I've used it both with and without a cheek pad. With an Aimpoint/EOTech, perfect cheek weld isn't really necessary... It's one of the advantages of the optic. It's still a good idea. Just get an Eagle pouch for the original stock or the screw in riser.

              The Aimpoint can be mounted pretty close to the rail in a low rise mount.

              I think I have the Aimpoint on it now. It's about 1/4" lower (it's in a QRP) that the EOTech.

              I'm not super picky with this rifle. I know it's not a precision shooter. I can ping metal all day long at the bench, standing, etc.

              The M1A, even the SOCOM, is still real heavy. With a JAE it will be even more so.



              Originally posted by ZombieKiller
              uclaplinker....i'm San Diego......but I appreciate the offer- Thanks!!

              I pick up my Socom from DGM in about 5 days....I just trying to decide between the Eotech and the Aimpoint- i did like the reticle on the Eotech though (as you mentioned), I was just worried about needing a cheek riser with the original stock as I read somewhere above...Did you put one on?

              Google Map of OLL Dealers

              List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
              Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
              This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

              Comment

              • #8
                ZombieKiller
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 2555

                No JAE......I agree that thing is heavy.....seems more like a DM stock. I'm staing stock with this......Thanks for the input though- I like the Eotech- and I think you have just sealed the deal for me!!! Thanks again.......
                "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory...."

                Comment

                • #9
                  Prc329
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 5603

                  Aimpoint with the aimpoint ring and the ultimak scout rail will co-witness. I have that setup. It is a lower 1/3 co-witness.



                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    aplinker
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 16762

                    The Ultimak rail looks really low. Nice. That's a great way to do it. Being able to use the irons is such a +.

                    I still think the Aimpoint looks more natural on the M1A... I just like the EOTech so much more.

                    Great set-up.

                    Originally posted by Prc329
                    Aimpoint with the aimpoint ring and the ultimak scout rail will co-witness. I have that setup. It is a lower 1/3 co-witness.




                    Google Map of OLL Dealers

                    List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                    Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                    This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Prc329
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 5603

                      I like it. The rail is almost as low as the normal hand guard.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        WINGEDSWORD
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 647

                        Socom 16

                        If you have not purchased the JAE stock, yet, I would advise you not to. It is
                        a VERY heavy stock and defeats the whole purpose of the SOCOM, which is a scout and close quarters combat rifle. The JAE is intended as a Target rifle stock, shot off the bench. When I bought my SOCOM, I bought it from a private party, who had the JAE stock, on it. So I got to handle it, with both stocks. He was kind enough to sell me the rifle with the standard stock. He then sold the JAE separtely. I'm a retired Army officer(Infantry) and have shot
                        almost every type of modern military rifle currently in use or in use since WWII. If you want a JAE, save some money and buy a Match grade M1a, to go with your SOCOM and mount it in a JAE stock.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1