Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Barrel question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • prerunners4life
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 1191

    Barrel question

    Pick up my new brown acr tomorrow from rifle gear, I wanted to head out to burro on Sunday and shoot it a lil bit but now the famous question comes into play..

    What do u guys think about barrel break in? Anyone do this?
    How should I? Is it necessary?
  • #2
    djleisure
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 4734

    Not necessary on a battle rifle. Just shoot it and enjoy!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

    Comment

    • #3
      AeroEngi
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 2887

      Never did it on my AR-15 and it works perfectly fine. Just go out and enjoy your new rifle!

      Comment

      • #4
        prerunners4life
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 1191

        *****en, thanks guys

        Comment

        • #5
          Mail Clerk
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 2324

          If it's chrome bored no break in is required. My Bushmaster instructions indicate 100 rounds initialy to polish the lands.

          Have fun

          Comment

          • #6
            CK_32
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2010
            • 14369

            No just go shoot it.

            In before YouTube video shows
            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

            What's Your Caliber??


            My Youtube channel

            Comment

            • #7
              bombadillo
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2007
              • 14810

              Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it!







              Love this video.

              Comment

              • #8
                Speedpower
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 2238

                Just wondering how come DPMS comes with instruction on how to break in your barrel, it says:
                "To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every round up p 100 rounds".
                I never did on any of my rifles and now is wondering if it is really necessary.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Fiveohmike
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1047

                  You have to single load every round. Then after ever shot you need to bore snake 3 times, run 8 patches through until no dirt comes off on your white latex gloves....you must let it cool down 10 minutes between shots...


                  .


                  .

                  ..



                  .


                  Who am I kidding, put as many rounds downrange as fast as possible to break it in!
                  -- I love the mythological significance given to Dum Dum Bullets. As if they're little tactical nukes, stacked up in "Assault Clips" ready to be "sprayfired" "from the hip" by pistol grip equipped "bullet hoses" instead of early variations of the softpoint bullets people have been using to take game with (and use for self-defense) for the last century.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    chead
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 3109

                    Originally posted by Speedpower
                    Just wondering how come DPMS comes with instruction on how to break in your barrel, it says:
                    "To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every round up p 100 rounds".
                    I never did on any of my rifles and now is wondering if it is really necessary.
                    It's not necessary The idea you have to "break in" your typical barrel is kind of old school. Just shoot it, it's fine.
                    Originally posted by NorCalK9.com
                    Hecka funny all my friends with AR's call them "clips" but I call them bullet holder things lol
                    Originally posted by MikeR
                    So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bombadillo
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 14810

                      You can look up the Krieger method. Its been a tried and true method for years and years and a lot of match guys swear by it. When I get a new gun, I'll typically just fire off a single shot. Use some CLP, run the bore snake through about 3 or 4 times, fire off 5 shots, and do that again 3-4 times. Then shoot the piss out of it. You'll see guys doing all these weird things to their guns and half the time watching them all they're doing is damaging the crown on their guns. Run a snake through a few times, use a bore light and check for burrs in the barrel, but other than that, just shoot it and clean it before you put it up. Pretty simple. People make WAY too big a deal of how they "break in" their barrel anymore.


                      I will say for the smallbore guys, there was an article I read that was using .22lr coated rounds. He would shoot 5 rounds and then run CCI stingers through it. The 5 shot group was basically one ragged hole and then the CCI going through it was pretty much the same until the coating wore off of the barrel. It slowly opened up more and more. Then another 5 rounds of the coated (I don't know if it was moly or what but it worked) rounds, and then more stingers. The stingers would shoot 1 hole as long as the coated rounds were shot through right before. It was a weird experiment, but it sure worked. I wish I could find that.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1