Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

rem 700 bolt replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Falconis
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 1688

    rem 700 bolt replacement

    Ok, I googled the hell out of this and couldn't find what I wanted. Only thing I have been able to find are action replacements that run about 1400 bucks.

    What I am looking for is a simple drop in replacement for the bolt on my rem 700. Preferably one with a longer/different handle as I keep wrapping my knuckles on my scope everytime I work the action to cycle a new round. I have tried brownells, CTD, and some other places and keep turning up empty. I would like to also get one that looks like the corkscrew as I like the idea behind that design ( I think they have it on the alaskan TI model).

    Is there something I am missing, or is this not one of those simple drop in pieces I can just replace? It's in .308 for those interested.

    Thanks for any and all help.
  • #2
    AeroEngi
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 2887

    Have you thought about contacting Remington for the bolt and then buying and installing an aftermarket knob? Other than you hitting your hand on your scope every time you cycle the action, what's wrong with your bolt?

    Comment

    • #3
      thevic
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 1910

      Thread your bolt handle with a long knob?

      If you get a new bolt, it will need to be headspaced to the barreled action.
      Victor M.

      Spartan Precision Rifles 07 FFL/SOT
      Caldwell, ID

      Comment

      • #4
        thevic
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 1910

        You can buy a PTG bolt that already comes fluted. Have your gunsmith order it so he/she can get the proper size for your action's raceway.
        Victor M.

        Spartan Precision Rifles 07 FFL/SOT
        Caldwell, ID

        Comment

        • #5
          Falconis
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 1688

          cool, and it's just me hitting my hand on the scope.

          Comment

          • #6
            supertrooper
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 624

            you can just get a new knob for 40 bucks and have your bolt handle threaded for another 40.
            A SWAT Monkey is a powerful psychological tool. Imagine you are a criminal hiding in a closet and you hear "Release the monkey!" You would shudder.

            Comment

            • #7
              Army
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3915

              Buy a Savage bolt, barrel, stock, and trigger group. Assemble it correctly. Now, throw away the Remington bolt


              Try opening the action with the palm of your hand up. Do not grasp it, just push up. Now allow the bolt to stay centered in the palm, and pull rearward. Push forward with the palm, then down.

              At no time will your knuckles hit anything.
              "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

              Comment

              • #8
                Falconis
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 1688

                I'll try that. It's just gonna be years of habit I'm trying to break

                Comment

                • #9
                  Army
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3915

                  Originally posted by Falconis
                  I'll try that. It's just gonna be years of habit I'm trying to break
                  You'll find that it seems very natural after a while, and it's much faster way to run the bolt too.
                  "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    G-forceJunkie
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 6474

                    No replacement bolt is going to be a drop in deal. A gunsmith is going to have to fit it. As mentioned, PGT makes some nice bolts in oversizes to take out some of the slop of factory ones.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      reg290
                      Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 197

                      Originally posted by Falconis
                      cool, and it's just me hitting my hand on the scope.
                      I recommend a KRG-Ops bolt knob. There only $30 and work great. I got one because I didn't want a permanent replacement on my R700 bolt.



                      "The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... Served hero and villain alike... And carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kozumasbullitt
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2912

                        I went with a CEG bolt and was told by my smith that it was the nicest bolt he has handled and he uses PTG.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          oni
                          Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 283

                          You can find a nice install How To Here

                          Subject: How I install a bolt knob

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            gun toting monkeyboy
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 6820

                            Originally posted by Falconis
                            I'll try that. It's just gonna be years of habit I'm trying to break
                            Pain is a wonderful teacher.
                            Originally posted by aplinker
                            It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1