Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Duracoating ??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kg6mti
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 71

    Duracoating ??

    Has anyone had any Duracoat work done?

    If so how did it turn out and who did you have do the work? Who would you recommend for this type of work?

    I am interested in getting the digital camo on a long gun.

    Thanks!
  • #2
    C.G.
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8250

    There is a thread about Duracoat:
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      want_ar
      Member
      • Sep 2007
      • 122

      I've done some. I'm no expert though, so consider these suggestion as an amateur's experience.

      I'd recommend that you get a good compressed air pump and spray gun from harborfreight.com. You should be able to get everything for under $60-70. Do NOT mess around with the little compressed air kit that Lauer sells. Use lots of thin coats. It dries pretty fast. Remember, thin and more coats is better than spraying on blobs.

      Duracoat is hard to mess up compared to other paint jobs so don't worry a whole lot. Expect that your first experience will not be top notch, but you will get better with experience. Good luck & go for it. Duracoat also seems to be very forgiving with initial prep. You don't need to blast it if you don't have the equipment. Sanding + steel wool works. It will stick much better if you do though.

      Also, avoid the urge to duracoat everything in sight. I had quite a bit of paint left over so I duracoated ammo boxes, a trash can, you name it. That stuff sticks pretty well to anything. If you have pets or kids, please don't duracoat them.
      Last edited by want_ar; 09-24-2007, 11:09 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Army
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 3915

        Did my Savage 12BVSS in "Electric Lavender", stock and barrel. Used the cheezy Lauer spray kit, and had twice the work because of it. Still, came out blazing good looking (to me) after 4 passes of clear-coat, and has endured more than a few bumps and bangs in the back of the truck, in the field, and on the range. Looks nearly as good as new. I used the air dry formula, which took, maybe, 2 weeks to completely harden. I just shot other guns while it hung in the shed.

        But, yes, get a small compressor. Lauer has complete air brush kits, which are 100 times better than the can-of-air set up I used.
        "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1