Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Barrel torque?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tiger222
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 2396

    AR Barrel torque?

    So I am barrelling an upper and at 30ft lbs, the tooth is just a few degrees infront of the barrel gas tube hole ~ torque up to 80ft lbs and it's still not completely aligned.

    Is it better to be under torqued or over ?

    TIA
    Seriously missing the 80's.....
  • #2
    Technical Ted
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2005
    • 12169

    Originally posted by tiger222
    So I am barrelling an upper and at 30ft lbs, the tooth is just a few degrees infront of the barrel gas tube hole ~ torque up to 80ft lbs and it's still not completely aligned.

    Is it better to be under torqued or over ?

    TIA
    Does it align between 30 and 80 ft/lbs?

    Try torquing it three times: torque-release-torque-release-torque. Final torque to alignment.

    Whatever you do, don't go over 100 ft/lbs.

    If that doesn't do it, contact AR15barrels for some shims that fit between the barrel and upper receiver.
    Originally posted by ChrisTKHarris
    That is one of the most idiotic statements I've heard. You are a retard.

    Comment

    • #3
      carsonwales
      Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 282

      Originally posted by tiger222
      So I am barrelling an upper and at 30ft lbs, the tooth is just a few degrees infront of the barrel gas tube hole ~ torque up to 80ft lbs and it's still not completely aligned.

      Is it better to be under torqued or over ?

      TIA
      How stout is your vice?

      I had some trouble like that on a couple of uppers and ended up at my mechanics shop using his 6 inch vise bolted to a steel table that was bolted to concrete...

      Whoa!....what a difference!

      The ability to apply the force evenly and smoothly without starting and stopping made a millions time easier to get the tube lined up....

      Of course high quality hi-temp moly grease and a high quality barrel wrench with a very long breaker bar style torque wrench helped too...

      Torque should be measured when the nut is in motion...not the torque it takes to overcome the frictional coefficient of a semi galled nut. The moment you stop turning, the components will gall themselves together...and sometimes it takes tremendous force to overcome that static frictional state....

      I stopped measuring torque awhile ago...super stout vise, excellent grease...and good breaker bar and a smooth continuous motion to the arrest point/tube align...helps to have a spotter sighting down the barrel watching the alignment and hollering Whoa!
      Last edited by carsonwales; 08-15-2007, 8:17 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57177

        As you are in west la, you are within a few miles of me down in mar vista.
        I recommend a visit to my shop.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          adamsreeftank
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 2244

          I have used a ft/lbs torque wrench in 5 lb increments and had to go over 85 or 90 on a couple. I think the routine is three times to 30 and then go to 35 and check alignment. If you are under 30, I think you need to go the hard way. But I'm not a professional, so you might want to check with one like Randall.

          Comment

          • #6
            RECCE556
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 1221

            Originally posted by ar15barrels
            As you are in west la, you are within a few miles of me down in mar vista. I recommend a visit to my shop.
            I highly recommend Randall. He is very knowledgable and does great work. Plus he's a nice guy.

            If you decide to go with a quality free float rail system, I highly recommend the Daniel Defense Lite rails (and the KAC URX II/III). The barrel nut is COMPLETELY independent of the gas hole alignment so this is NEVER an issue. That being said, if you're stuck with a lesser rail or the standard barrel nut, Randall's Shim Kit will do the trick.

            Comment

            • #7
              Blue
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 8071

              What happens if you go over 100lbs?
              Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
              Let my aim be true and my hand faster
              than those who would seek to destroy me.
              Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
              Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
              And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
              sigpic
              NRA Member

              Comment

              • #8
                Technical Ted
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Oct 2005
                • 12169

                Originally posted by Blue84s10
                What happens if you go over 100lbs?
                According to what Randall told me, the receiver threads strip.
                Originally posted by ChrisTKHarris
                That is one of the most idiotic statements I've heard. You are a retard.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57177

                  Originally posted by Technical Ted
                  According to what Randall told me, the receiver threads strip.
                  The threads will hold a lot more than 100 ft-lbs.
                  The receiver will crack along the side from the torque well before threads strip.
                  Ask me how I know this...
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tiger222
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 2396

                    thanks everyone, and thanks Randy ~ will give it another shot this weekend and if not will come by and see you.

                    Seriously missing the 80's.....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CaptMike
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 1272

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      The threads will hold a lot more than 100 ft-lbs.
                      The receiver will crack along the side from the torque well before threads strip.
                      Ask me how I know this...
                      Sooooo How Do you Know This?
                      A life is not important, except for the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        C.G.
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 8250

                        Originally posted by LtMike70
                        Sooooo How Do you Know This?
                        It is either
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57177

                          Originally posted by C.G.
                          It is either
                          I believe the term used at the time was SH1T!
                          Last edited by ar15barrels; 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1