Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

PWS Buffer Problems?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sacshooter1
    Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 113

    PWS Buffer Problems?

    Has anyone else used the PWS enhanced buffer tube and had any issue with the bolt not locking back after the last round in a mag is fired? I am having an issue with an AR15 with an Adams Arms upper and the PWS buffer tube installed on it. No other issues with it, it extracts, ejects and loads fine, it just won't lock back on the empty mag. I contacted both Adams Arms and PWS and neither one can come up with an answer. I really don't think that the upper is to blame, I'm starting to think that the "dead blow" in the rear of the buffer is not allowing the bolt to go all the way back.

    Just curious if anyone else had any similar issues.
  • #2
    joelogic
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6593

    Does it lock back manually?
    Have you tried different mags?
    Have you tried a different buffer?

    Its usually the mag unless you are using the wrong buffer/spring for the buffer tube.
    Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

    Comment

    • #3
      SpeedTribe
      Member
      • Nov 2005
      • 247

      I have them on two of my ARs running 16" and 14" midlength uppers, Spikes ST-T2 buffers w/standard carbine springs. No problems with XM193, WWB, Fiocci, or PMC Bronze.
      What ammo, components/accessories are you running?
      If you are running a Battery Assist Device (BAD/BAL) on your bolt catch, remove it and see if that makes a difference. I had the same issue on one of my rifles (not running the PWS tube) and it went away as soon as I removed the BAL.
      Last edited by SpeedTribe; 04-02-2011, 2:06 AM. Reason: added notes

      Comment

      • #4
        NSR500
        Banned
        • Aug 2006
        • 19530

        Check your magazines first since they actuate the LRBHO.

        Comment

        • #5
          RT13
          Senior Member
          • May 2006
          • 1407

          Originally posted by SpeedTribe
          I have them on two of my ARs running 16" and 14" midlength uppers, Spikes ST-T2 buffers w/standard carbine springs. No problems with XM193, WWB, Fiocci, or PMC Bronze.
          What ammo, components/accessories are you running?
          If you are running a Battery Assist Device (BAD/BAL) on your bolt catch, remove it and see if that makes a difference. I had the same issue on one of my rifles (not running the PWS tube) and it went away as soon as I removed the BAL.
          I have a BCM Midlength Upper, Carbine springs and swapped out the buffer to the Spikes ST-T2. I used various ammo with "0" problems till I used Tula ammo. Every now n then, not only will the bolt not stay locked back after the last round, but it doesn't fully cycle at times. The Spikes buffer is too heavy for the weak primed Tula ammo. I say it's the buffer causing your problem OP. Buffer, mags and springs are the culprit. If not one, it's a combo of two.

          Comment

          • #6
            rattlesnake_nm
            Banned
            • Jan 2011
            • 666

            ^^^^ yes tula is right on the tipping point of short stroking with a st-t2. Mine will run it, but not lock back half the time. I just slap in a car buffer when running tula, and it runs fine.

            Comment

            • #7
              sacshooter1
              Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 113

              I have tried Pmag, HK mags and just regular aluminum mags. I was using 62 grain Winchester Ranger ammo, but the same occurs with PMC and a few other ammo's I have tried. The buffer is just a standard weight buffer.

              I found one post on a different forum about PWS sending a guy thicker end plates and that solved the issue. I don't know, I pulled the tube off last night and will go shoot on Tuesday to see if it is the tube or something else.

              Comment

              • #8
                lear60man
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 903

                I have the same problem on my AR. Pmag 10/20 wont lock but the 10/30 will. It will also lock back manually, just not after the last shot. I might take a ring off of the buffer spring or sand down the buffer tip a mm or two. A stiff magazine release spring was also suspect until I swapped it out. Let us know what worked!

                Comment

                • #9
                  sacshooter1
                  Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 113

                  Well, I switched out the PWS buffer tube for just a standard milspec tube and the problem was fixed 100%. So much for paying more and getting your moneys worth. I'll contact PWS and see what they say, maybe I just got a bad tube.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    RonPogi
                    Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 192

                    Take out the buffer spring and buffer weight at the bottom of buffer tube there is a cushion, try to install without that cushion. Mine, I just trim the cushion a little bit and it works flawlessly. Hope this will help

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      emtnsocali
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 696

                      i had an issue with my enidine hydraulic buffer....sounds similar. it wouldn't allow for the bolt to lock back after the last round. i switched buffers and it solved the problem. i do like the way that hydraulic buffer softens up the recoils though(not that a 5.56 needs it) so I'm sticking with it.
                      si vis pacem para bellvm

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1